Psyllium Husk for IBS

silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
Forum Member
Has anyone taken psyllium husk as treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Diverticulitis? I started taking it on the advice of a friend about a week ago. He warned me that there could be a few side effects like headaches, etc but other than that it has had no effect whatsoever, good or bad. Would like to hear from anyone else who has used it.

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've taken Ispaghula husk which is the same thing.

If you drink it quickly it isn't too bad, but if you leave it too long it is like drinking wall paper paste.

Bowel wise it is very helpful and helps you form a nice bolus.

P.s. I had no side effects at all.
  • windowseatwindowseat Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    I took the 'husks' in tablet form from Holland and Barratt for quite a while. While being poorly for something else other than IBS I stopped taking them.

I didn't go back to taking them, I haven't really noticed much difference if I'm honest so I don't know whether they helped that much.
  • snoopy33snoopy33 Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`ve taken lepicol which i think are the same , my sister in law put me on to them and i really think they help me x
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BTW I forgot to mention that I took the husk as Fybogel.
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took Fybogel for years, never really helped. I don't think anything helps except being very careful with what you eat and Ihate to tell you this, but the older you get, the worse it gets.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    silversox wrote: »
    Has anyone taken psyllium husk as treatment for Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Diverticulitis? I started taking it on the advice of a friend about a week ago. He warned me that there could be a few side effects like headaches, etc but other than that it has had no effect whatsoever, good or bad. Would like to hear from anyone else who has used it.

Have you considered a Poo enema?

Essentially you ask a healthy friend to empty their bowels and collect it. Pop the contents into a blender with some fresh water and create a fine emulsion. Give yourself an enema with that.

Apparently it kick-starts your colon back into health - just like throwing a rotting animal corpse into a septic tank to get it going when proving troublesome.

Full BBC article here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27503660
  • Marc_DuckworthMarc_Duckworth Posts: 725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive taken PH in husk form (spoonful in water) and it didnt make a jot of difference. However switching to a vegetarian diet low in sugars did. But its depressing. I miss dirty food
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Have you considered a Poo enema?

Essentially you ask a healthy friend to empty their bowels and collect it. Pop the contents into a blender with some fresh water and create a fine emulsion. Give yourself an enema with that.

Apparently it kick-starts your colon back into health - just like throwing a rotting animal corpse into a septic tank to get it going when proving troublesome.

Full BBC article here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27503660

I think I'd rather stick to the inconvenience and pain of IBS, Thanks!!
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for the comments. Yes, I've tried all sorts of 'helpful' remedies for constipation but to no avail. I could drink a whole bottle of Syrup of Figs, eat a tin of prunes or have all-Bran every day for a week - nothing!! Fruit has no effect either. The only thing that will get me going is anything with chilli in it and then I'm in a lot of pain and need to be near a loo within an hour of eating it!! I don't think chilli would help the IBS either!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Schiff-Digestive-Advantage-120-Gummies/dp/B009HZG9EU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412774588&sr=8-2&keywords=digestive+advantage

I've been taking these for IBS and found them to be really good. After a couple of days I saw a big difference.
  • windowseatwindowseat Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    I don't know if they still do it but we always kept a bottle of 'liquid parafin' for constipation. Basically its like grease for your inner body. It tastes thick and a bit greasy but it does work.

You don't have stomach cramps etc.