Options

Row with the gym over son in changing rooms...

Comments

• Options
    Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the exact same problem - although it was some grumpy old woman complaining that my son was in the changing rooms. I wouldn't have minded but my son was only 6 at the time. I haven't been back to that swimming pool since.

My son is 10 now and we go swimming together and he changes in the mens on his own. We have no problems.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pje1979 wrote: »
    You said children were anxious about going into public places by themselves, I was pointing out they will stay anxious if you wrap them in cotton wool and stop them going into the said places.

But we're talking about the practicalities of what do with children in public places, when you or they need to change or use a public toilet.

No one has talked about keeping children at home.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's absolutely no way I would let an 8 year old go and change on their own.

I don't understand the problem... I wouldn't complain about an 8 yr old boy in the changing rooms but then we have individual cubicles so he wouldn't see any more than he would in the pool!
  • Options
    SuperTed187SuperTed187 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was around this age my mum always used to take me into the womens too, she stopped when I was about 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alsmama wrote: »
    There's absolutely no way I would let an 8 year old go and change on their own.

I don't understand the problem... I wouldn't complain about an 8 yr old boy in the changing rooms but then we have individual cubicles so he wouldn't see any more than he would in the pool!

The original example didn't have individual cubicles, so that's what the problem was.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me either .. but then I'm over protecting my children!

What does your son think?
    Different children, different rates of maturity.

Plus in my experience children are terrible prudes, male or female they all go through an age where somebody naked in the showers is yuck.

My advice would be to find a swimming pool with family changing areas or attend the one you are talking about either with a friend of his or when it isn't busy.

You could also put in a suggestion to the pool that they establish a family changing area.
  • Options
    pje1979pje1979 Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    But we're talking about the practicalities of what do with children in public places, when you or they need to change or use a public toilet.

No one has talked about keeping children at home.

I know. You were saying that is wasn't a paedophile problem but that children get nervous going into toilets/changing rooms by themselves. I was pointing out that unless they start doing things by themselves they will stay nervous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pje1979 wrote: »
    I know. You were saying that is wasn't a paedophile problem but that children get nervous going into toilets by themselves. I was pointing out that unless they start doing things by themselves they will stay nervous.

I agree with you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    What does your son think?
    Different children, different rates of maturity.

Plus in my experience children are terrible prudes, male or female they all go through an age where somebody naked in the showers is yuck.

My advice would be to find a swimming pool with family changing areas or attend the one you are talking about either with a friend of his or when it isn't busy.

You could also put in a suggestion to the pool that they establish a family changing area.

I now go to a pool that has family changing with cubicles so it isn't a problem. My son has no problem with nudity at the moment... my daughter is 11 and she would have a problem but that is to be expected with her age
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8 is far too young to be going into their own changing room, look at all of the peados around. I would of thought a swimming bath would be a prime target location for something like that.

You really need to get a life. It's very insulting to men to insinuate that they're virtually all paedophiles (note spelling), and simply not true. By the way, you forgot the gays - lots of them in swimming baths too, on the lookout. :rolleyes:

<Apologies for rolleyes, but I thought it was appropriate on this occasion>
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sbugg wrote: »
    :eek: do what!! I've never seen those jobs advertised

They're NOT CCTV monitored, certainly not the bits where people are changing! I know this because I was a local Councillor on the Leisure Committee when we were building a new leisure centre, and the discussion of where to put the CCTV caused endless problems, but we certainly didn't put it anywhere that CCTV operators could perv over it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Op he is your son you know whats best for him, you know him and none of us in here do.

I personally do not think that there is anything wrong in taking him into change with you.

I always think it's better to be overprotective of your kids than not protective enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    redjay wrote: »
    Op he is your son you know whats best for him, you know him and none of us in here do.

I personally do not think that there is anything wrong in taking him into change with you.

I always think it's better to be overprotective of your kids than not protective enough.

Thanks redjay
  • Options
    ShiftyDundeeShiftyDundee Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    redjay wrote: »

It's better to try and get the balance right. Over protected kids turn into precocious little wimps in my opinion. Seriously though, whats going to happen in a public place with loads of other people around?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's better to try and get the balance right. Over protected kids turn into precocious little wimps in my opinion. Seriously though, whats going to happen in a public place with loads of other people around?

The place I used to go to often wasn't really busy... with just a handful of people in the changing rooms when I went in there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another spin on this is if you need the toilet and your child doesn't. Would you make them stand outside alone?
    Surely you are not taking the child into the cubicle?

Like you say, it has a different spin on it, as the child doesn't see other people getting dressed or undressed, if he is waiting in the common area of ladies loos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    Surely you are not taking the child into the cubicle?

Like you say, it has a different spin on it, as the child doesn't see other people getting dressed or undressed, if he is waiting in the common area of ladies loos.

and me with my daughter?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess you have to go with the gym rules.

However what I cannot understand from reading the posts in the thread are the posters saying they would feel uncomfortable with an 8yr old boys in the same changing rooms - what is the boy actually going to do, what is he going to see, what is he going to be thinking?

Does it really matter? Its an 8 year old boy for goodness sake!

I think its more important to protect the children of the world than to worry about adults worrying about what some 8 yr old boy might be thinking, or seeing them!

Cover your bits if your embarrased :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and me with my daughter?
    Tough questions! If you do, you'll be slated, if you don't, you'll still get slated.

I wouldn't take a girl of 8 into the gents toilets. But I don't know the alternative!
  • Options
    housewifehousewife Posts: 2,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister and her partner have twins, one each sex.
    They used to take it in turns taking the twins swimming, and whoever took them would take them into the corresponding chainging room with them. (eg my sis would take them to the ladies, her partner the mens etc).
    They did this until they were 13 and there were never any complaints.
    This only stopped when my sis decided she didnt like swimming anymore and so they all stopped going.
    So i have to say i dont think there is anything wrong with what the op does to her son.

I hope this helps

Good luck!
  • Options
    pje1979pje1979 Posts: 5,647
    Forum Member
    housewife wrote: »
    They used to take it in turns taking the twins swimming, and whoever took them would take them into the corresponding chainging room with them. (eg my sis would take them to the ladies, her partner the mens etc).
    This only stopped when my sis decided she didnt like swimming anymore and so they all stopped going.
    So i have to say i dont think there is anything wrong with what the op does to her son.

I hope this helps

Good luck!

Taking 13 year old into the opposite sexes changing rooms is ridiculous. They're going through puberty for god sake.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I certainly wouldn't want a 13 yr old boy in a ladies changing room!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    titchbaby wrote: »
    I guess you have to go with the gym rules.

However what I cannot understand from reading the posts in the thread are the posters saying they would feel uncomfortable with an 8yr old boys in the same changing rooms - what is the boy actually going to do, what is he going to see, what is he going to be thinking?

Does it really matter? Its an 8 year old boy for goodness sake!

I think its more important to protect the children of the world than to worry about adults worrying about what some 8 yr old boy might be thinking, or seeing them!

Cover your bits if your embarrased :rolleyes:

I agree. What does a grown woman embarrassed about an eight year old child tell us about that woman? Why is she so embarrassed? And what sort of message does that send to the child - that he should be embarrassed about naked bodies because adults are?

But, on the other hand, I'd let my eight year old go and get changed himself in the male changeing rooms, because I know that's what he'd want to do. It would make him feel independent and grown up. Indeed he walks to the public swimming pool with his older (age 10) brother and they go swimming by themselves.
  • Options
    broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    housewife wrote: »

I hope this helps

Good luck!

A thirteen year old boy was being taken into the female changing room with no cubicles, and he didn't complain!!! You bet he didn't complain! He must have thought all his Christmases had come at once. I bet he started complaining once they stopped going to the baths.

As has already been mentioned by umpteen people, at eight years old a child has reached the age where they start to notice the naked people around them, and really should be going into changing rooms with people of the same sex. By the age of thirteen no kid isn't going to have their eyes popping out on stalks surrounded by naked members of the opposite sex. And not just their eyes.

Just imagine how he must have felt when those two naked 16 year-old girls walked past him to the showers. That is way way too old to be going into the changing rooms with your mum.
  • Options
    lifesabeach11lifesabeach11 Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would take him in with me until he was about 10
    and i wouldn't let them in men's loos either until they are older you just don't know in this day and age