BBC1/BBCNEWS - the Chandlers

tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why are the BBC not covering the release of the ~Chandlers in Somalia? Sky News have been covering this since 6am if not before and there hasn't been a single mention of it on the BBC. their breaking news story is Prince William going to Afganistan. i'm just flabbergasted.

sorry if this is the wrong forum. Mods please move if it is.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I was thinking the very same thing... seams weird doesnt it!
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not good news if its true a ransom was paid..it just means they will now capture someone else.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be the BBC is checking on the accuracy of the story ?
  • tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Could it be the BBC is checking on the accuracy of the story ?

not quit sure how much more accuracy they need. Sky have spoken to the man that helped get them released. there has been coverage of the couple on sky both in the safe house and on there way to the airport walking along. are the BBC waiting for confirmation from the foreign office before they say anything even though its quite clear they the couple have been released. the BBC have been left behind,
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not quit sure how much more accuracy they need. Sky have spoken to the man that helped get them released. there has been coverage of the couple on sky both in the safe house and on there way to the airport walking along. are the BBC waiting for confirmation from the foreign office before they say anything even though its quite clear they the couple have been released. the BBC have been left behind,

I agree it does sound pretty conclusive !
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Waiting for the Foreign Office sounds quite plausible, if the release has not been completed then the publicity could create problems.

Is that the "man that helped get them released" or " the man who claims he helped get them released"?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes appaling the BBC are ignoring this they could say "there are reports.." since when do BBC News wait for proof.

I suspect they are waiting for Remembrance to be over.

Though British people seem to be ignored more and more on the news these days.

See if Newswatch on Friday pick up on it.
  • NeladNelad Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - rejoice for the release of two middle class self pitying people!

As stated by a previous poster, the payment of a ransom will only fuel further kidnappings.
  • msimmsim Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And so whilst some criticise the BBC for holding back on this, Frank Gardner has just revealed that the media were constrained on reporting this story by a superinjunction to protect the Chandlers safety whilst still on Somali soil. "our competitors who shall remain nameless decided five hours ago to break that superinjunction. My bosses here at the BBC decided to honour it for their safety".
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was funny that Sky were the only people reporting this. Having broken an injunction could Sky be in trouble?

Also think this adds to those who worry about Sky and News Corp getting to much power.
  • Paul89Paul89 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Yes appaling the BBC are ignoring this they could say "there are reports.." since when do BBC News wait for proof.

I suspect they are waiting for Remembrance to be over.

Though British people seem to be ignored more and more on the news these days.

See if Newswatch on Friday pick up on it.

I think you will find the BBC always demand two sources of proof before broadcasting a story and I would love you to supply any evidence you may have to disprove that.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the Chandlers' skins aren't brown enough for the BBC to care about the story?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC honoured an injunction to protect the couple,Sky news did not
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Maybe the Chandlers' skins aren't brown enough for the BBC top care about the story?
    See post #10, and then prepare to post your apology.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Maybe the Chandlers' skins aren't brown enough for the BBC to care about the story?

Piffle Solenoid!
    Frank Gardner has just revealed that the media were constrained on reporting this story by a superinjunction to protect the Chandlers safety whilst still on Somali soil. "our competitors who shall remain nameless decided five hours ago to break that superinjunction. My bosses here at the BBC decided to honour it for their safety".
  • StevenNTStevenNT Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was funny that Sky were the only people reporting this. Having broken an injunction could Sky be in trouble?

I guess we will wait and see, I hope they do end up in hot water in some way for ignoring injunction that was imposed to protect they safety of the couple until they left Somali soil. Sky have a cheek for ignoring it.
  • noelfirlnoelfirl Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11752027
    Pirates boarded their yacht near the Seychelles on 23 October 2009. The BBC has held off reporting their release.

It observed the terms of an injuction obtained by the Chandlers' family which was intended to stop news organisations reporting their release until they were safely out of Somalia.

No doubt that'll still be insufficient to shut up some of the moaners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    msim wrote: »
    And so whilst some criticise the BBC for holding back on this, Frank Gardner has just revealed that the media were constrained on reporting this story by a superinjunction to protect the Chandlers safety whilst still on Somali soil. "our competitors who shall remain nameless decided five hours ago to break that superinjunction. My bosses here at the BBC decided to honour it for their safety".
    Repeated for clarity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    See post #10, and then prepare to post your apology.

The BBC could always refer to Sky and other news channels.

So why has BBCi reported their release?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would no doubt be seen as breaking the superinjunction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe the Chandler,s skins aren,t important enough for SKY to care about them?
  • welshkidwelshkid Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the Chandlers' skins aren't brown enough for the BBC top care about the story?

...or maybe you are so full of bile and shit that you are totally ignoring the facts of why both the BBC and ITN have decided to honour a Super Injuction put in place by the Chandler's family to ensure their relatives safety.

Sky News obviously decided that the Chandler's safety didn't matter one little bit...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC website has reported it.
  • Paul89Paul89 Posts: 235
    Forum Member

You just make yourself look more and more stupid.