Celebrities you totally changed opinions on

RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which celebs did you like and now dislike, or visa versa?

For example -

I really liked Stephen Fry, until I read his autobiography, which wasn't very well written, and had a great amount of forced 'intelligent' references and name-dropping. As it turns out he has limted acaedemic achievements, is a convicted fraudster and has a sizable ego.

I disliked Jodie Marsh but I have now come to the opinion that she's a pretty harmless, probably mixed up woman desperate for love and attention. She's far preferable to Katie Price.

I disliked James Corden because he annoyed me (popping up all the time with Matthew Horne, I had him down as arrogant) but then I actually watched Gavin and Stacey and loved it, and now I have a lot of respect for him as an actor and writer.

Comments

• FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love Charlie Brooker but since he went public with Konnie Huq I have slowly gone off him and now see him as an unfunny squeaky voiced desperate hypocrite. His makeover to Huq level blandness will be complete once she persuades him to get new teeth. David Mitchell went down in my estimation when I saw a picture of him going to Elizabeth Murdoch's party the other day.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Walliams is someone I used to absolutely love in his Little Britain days. He was a very good comedy actor, but after LB finished and he just got his face in every panel and chat show, I just started to find his repetitive "Am I or am I not gay?" act. Fair does though, he's a very good judge on BGT.

On the other end of the spectrum, Cheryl Cole is someone I used to really dislike who I've come to like. I used to think she was overexposed, and a pretty poor judge on X Factor. Since the USA X Factor controversy though, I think she's matured somewhat, and a little more bearable now that shes not making so many headlines. She was quality on the Graham Norton show not too long back.

Milton Jones I used to think was absolutely hilarious, with his mental persona and his random one liners. He's now burnt himself into the ground with so many Mock The Week appearances that his act has become stale, and I find him immensely irritating.

Leonardo DiCaprio I used to detest somewhat too, from a movie point of view. Can't stand Titanic, and I've seen Romeo and Juliet more times than I need to. The Beach was also terrible, but as he's matured he's done some terrific acting. The Departed, Inception and Shutter Island are 3 of my favourite movies, and he's a big reason why.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Gary Barlow - his constant 'look at what I'm doing for charity' which started from the Kilimanjaro thingy just put me totally off him.

Whilst at the same time ... I really began to like Cheryl Cole! Odd!
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to take the piss out of Jodie Marsh at any opportunity but now I really like and I actually respect her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nigel Havers was a long term crush of mine till he appeared on I'm a Celebrity - what a knob:(

I used to dislike Amanda Holden years ago but actually like her now - I was really upset when she lost her unborn baby:(

I feel a bit sorry for Jodie Marsh but feel she needs to stop caring what people think so much.

I admired Kate Price for being a self made rich woman but every time I see her, the same old defensive yak becomes tedious. I also went of her for being so harsh with Peter Andre
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I'm the same about Cheryl Cole. Couldn't stand her, and coming from Newcastle where every girl is obsessed with her, I just didn't get it. Then I read an article where she said she was proud of her roots and to be Queen of the chavs (or something similar), and I really warmed to her. I still can't bear her music, but I admire her work ethic and making something of herself.

I used to think Victoria Beckham was full of herself, and found her becoming a designer a bit of a joke, but again I've warmed to her. I think seeing her in interviews, where she comes along as very likeable and down to earth really changed that for me. And in terms of her fashion line, she does actually research/design etc, and I do admire that she's managed to do something credible, and really fought hard to be a respected name in fashion.

I used to really like Peaches Geldof when I was younger and she wrote for Elle girl. She is actually a talented writer, and admitted that she'd been given opportunities and privileges instead of pretending she did it all off her own back. Then a few years after Elle girl closed down, she presented a few documentaries and came across as really smug and judgemental and then went all spoilt brat socialite for a few years, and got herself into trouble. I'm not too fussed on her now she's had a baby though.
  • *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to think Victoria Beckham was full of herself, and found her becoming a designer a bit of a joke, but again I've warmed to her. I think seeing her in interviews, where she comes along as very likeable and down to earth really changed that for me. And in terms of her fashion line, she does actually research/design etc, and I do admire that she's managed to do something credible, and really fought hard to be a respected name in fashion.

Has VB ever proved she can etch a fashion design? I bet she doesn't even know how to use a sewing machine! She never went to fashion/design college and as far as I'm aware had no experience in the fashion industry before her PR suddendly started calling her a 'fashion designer'. I think she has a team of designers and researchers who does it for her....I don't think she had to fight hard at all to become a 'name' in fashion certainly not as hard as a real fashion designer, she used her celebrity to promote and launch her fashion line....not knocking her for it but she should be honest about who creates her fashion line because as far as I can see she's not a trained 'designer'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    Obviously she isn't pattern-cutting or doing any of the sewing herself as the majority of designers don't, but from what I gather she's pretty heavy with the research and designing. If you've ever read an interview where she talks about her designs she's very technical and references her inspiration for very specific detailing etc. She isn't doing it all herself and has a team behind her, but she's a lot more involved than just putting her name to a label.

With regards to fighting for credibility, in the beginning she was seen as a joke in the fashion world. Early reviews were very harsh, and assistants would go to her shows rather than editors. I was interning in the fashion department at a magazine a few years ago, and when I was requesting samples from a PR agency they emailed VBs stuff through alongside other designers, and when I told the stylist, she said the magazine would never use her stuff because she wasn't high end enough. Cue a few years later and her stuff being featured in the same magazine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously she isn't pattern-cutting or doing any of the sewing herself as the majority of designers don't, but from what I gather she's pretty heavy with the research and designing. If you've ever read an interview where she talks about her designs she's very technical and references her inspiration for very specific detailing etc. She isn't doing it all herself and has a team behind her, but she's a lot more involved than just putting her name to a label.

With regards to fighting for credibility, in the beginning she was seen as a joke in the fashion world. Early reviews were very harsh, and assistants would go to her shows rather than editors. I was interning in the fashion department at a magazine a few years ago, and when I was requesting samples from a PR agency they emailed VBs stuff through alongside other designers, and when I told the stylist, she said the magazine would never use her stuff because she wasn't high end enough. Cue a few years later and her stuff being featured in the same magazine.
    I don't believe that just because Victoria presents herself well in interviews and has been PR advised in what to say in them that it means she's heavily involved in the design/research side of her fashion line..........I believe the vast majority of work is done by her team and she is just the name behind the label.........she has done a good job of using her celebrity status to promote the line and it is to her credit that she took advice and she changed her image and was then able to get people to take her more seriously. However, I really think it is an insult to fashion designers who've been to fashion college and proved that they can design and worked hard throughout their careers to get their names recognised to call someone like Victoria Beckam a 'fashion designer'.........and before you say that all fashion designers have teams behind them yes I know they do, but at least they themselves have proved they can etch and create designs.......VB just giving interviews talking about her line doesn't prove that she can!
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gone off Stephen Fry. Used to love him, now think he's a pompous ass.

Gone off Gary Barlow for much the same reason.
  • casualtyno1fancasualtyno1fan Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is probably gonna be an unpopular post, but whatever...

I used to really love Rihanna, but I've really gone off her lately. All she seems to do is pose and love herself and post photos on Instagram every two seconds. Such a turn-off in my eyes.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which celebs did you like and now dislike, or visa versa?

For example -

I really liked Stephen Fry, until I read his autobiography, which wasn't very well written, and had a great amount of forced 'intelligent' references and name-dropping. As it turns out he has limted acaedemic achievements, is a convicted fraudster and has a sizable ego.

I disliked Jodie Marsh but I have now come to the opinion that she's a pretty harmless, probably mixed up woman desperate for love and attention. She's far preferable to Katie Price.

I disliked James Corden because he annoyed me (popping up all the time with Matthew Horne, I had him down as arrogant) but then I actually watched Gavin and Stacey and loved it, and now I have a lot of respect for him as an actor and writer.

I knew he was a fraudster without many qualifications - it's been known for years - he talked about pretty openly on his program about manic depression.

It's a bit hard to form a view of how arrogant someone who is a manic depressive because they will always have an inflated view of their own worth during the manic phases.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    Jodie marsh, Michael Bisping, Rihanna, Luann, Lily Allen
  • princesstechprincesstech Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    I don't believe that just because Victoria presents herself well in interviews and has been PR advised in what to say in them that it means she's heavily involved in the design/research side of her fashion line..........I believe the vast majority of work is done by her team and she is just the name behind the label.........she has done a good job of using her celebrity status to promote the line and it is to her credit that she took advice and she changed her image and was then able to get people to take her more seriously. However, I really think it is an insult to fashion designers who've been to fashion college and proved that they can design and worked hard throughout their careers to get their names recognised to call someone like Victoria Beckam a 'fashion designer'.........and before you say that all fashion designers have teams behind them yes I know they do, but at least they themselves have proved they can etch and create designs.......VB just giving interviews talking about her line doesn't prove that she can!

How does the fact that someone went to fashion college make them better than VB? There are many artists who have been hugely successful and have never been to college. It is also not the case that you have had to struggle to achieve a name. VB has always been into clothes in a big way and I am inclined to believe that she has major input in her label.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does the fact that someone went to fashion college make them better than VB? There are many artists who have been hugely successful and have never been to college. It is also not the case that you have had to struggle to achieve a name. VB has always been into clothes in a big way and I am inclined to believe that she has major input in her label.

Er because a real fashion designer would have learnt the craft of fashion designing at college and even if there are some designers who haven't been to college they would have worked their way up in the industry and learnt it that way.......I don't believe a love of clothes makes you a fashion designer.......I love music, dance and films and can talk about those subjects at length........Does that make me a dancer, singer, musician, actor, film director etc!.......Of course it doesn't!

A real fashion designer has proved they can design.....to me VB never has! She decided she wanted a change of direction after the Spice Girls broke up and her solo career flopped and then she suddenly started calling herself a 'fashion designer'..........well sorry you believe she is if you want but I don't! I won't deny the success of her label but I do think she should be honest and admit she's just the name/figure head behind the label not the designer/ researcher!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Definitely Kristen Stewart. I was a huge fan of her and loads of people thought she was a really genuine, mature and smart girl (Even celebs thought she was the ''most real person in Hollywood'') but then that whole scandal happened which showed that she is a liar & I lost respect for her because of what happened. Really did not think she was the type of girl to do that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny Depp. Loved him for years but I don't think he's made even a half-way decent film since Public Enemies and so the shine has worn off for me. :(
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone full circle with Sharon Osbourne.

Originally found her despicable but due to her playing a very good game, I kinda grew to quite like her on X-Factor until she lost her temper with Steve Brookstein and showed her true colours once more.:mad:

After that I returned to my original stance of total abhorence.:yawn:
  • mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Barlow - his constant 'look at what I'm doing for charity' which started from the Kilimanjaro thingy just put me totally off him.

Whilst at the same time ... I really began to like Cheryl Cole! Odd!

Thank God there's someone else out there who dislikes Gary Barlow, I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand him!
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same with Cheryl, loved her, went right off her on X Factor, was very against her X Factor USA position, but then when she was fired (which I agreed with) her reaction has made me really like her again.

Jodie Marsh, couldn't stand her, was (and still am when it comes to the pair of them) firmly on Team Katie, during their "rivalry" but seeing her on Come Dine With Me made me like her, and watching her bodybuilding documentaries made me really like her. She does crave attention a bit too much, but she's harmless and seems a genuine good person.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    ...graham norton...he was so uber gay,it was embarrassing..now he's toned it down,i find myself rather enamored with the little chap
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er because a real fashion designer would have learnt the craft of fashion designing at college and even if there are some designers who haven't been to college they would have worked their way up in the industry and learnt it that way.......I don't believe a love of clothes makes you a fashion designer.......I love music, dance and films and can talk about those subjects at length........Does that make me a dancer, singer, musician, actor, film director etc!.......Of course it doesn't!

A real fashion designer has proved they can design.....to me VB never has! She decided she wanted a change of direction after the Spice Girls broke up and her solo career flopped and then she suddenly started calling herself a 'fashion designer'..........well sorry you believe she is if you want but I don't! I won't deny the success of her label but I do think she should be honest and admit she's just the name/figure head behind the label not the designer/ researcher!

Excellent post ;)
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite so. IMHO, it's a complete fallacy to think that Beckham does anything other than provide a name for the label and fly round the world promoting it. I don't doubt for one second that she works hard, but she does not actively design any of the clothes or have any technical input into the making of them. It's also hilarious how she went from being a tacky WAG in Baden Baden with her flange half on show in her denim cut offs and low cut t-shirts to 3 years later dressing like Anna Wintour, getting her tits reduced and flitting round in tweed skirts. She's a trier, I'll give her that.:D

Back to the main question in the thread: I used to loathe Jodie Marsh - and I still think she's very, very messed up, but the Mush forums actually went so far against her that I found myself feeling sorry for her and I don't think she's actually that bad:o
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't stand Russell Brand, but then he was on television when he appeared at a select committee or something discussing addictions and how addicts need help and understanding, not scorn. I found myself agreeing with every single word he said and now I quite like him.

I liked Rhianna, but the whole "look at me, I'm so controversial, I wander around half naked and sing about kinky sex" thing has put me right off her.

I didn't like Will Ferrell until I saw Anchorman, and now I think he's funny.
  • princesstechprincesstech Posts: 214
    Forum Member

Well it seems you are in the minority in the fashion world then really doesn't it? I still fail to see your argument that a "real" fashion designer has to have gone to college. There are plenty of people who excel in their fields who did not learn how to do so at a college. I am also sure that there are plenty of people who did go to college who failed in their chosen career due to a lack of talent.
    VB's fame may have been her ticket in to the trade but something has certainly kept her in it. Maybe you just do not want to see that she may have talent as you obviously despise her. Me I am not a huge fan by any means but I am certainly not going to vilify someone who I do not know in person. Maybe you should be honest and admit you just don't like her.