The Alexandra Burke Appreciation Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    At the moment I'm 50/50 too. If this works out well she could have a very successful career in Europe but would other artists be willing to work with a former Eurovision contestant? For some reason the UK don't see Eurovision as something 'credible'...:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it's Alexandra, it's more likely to be Jamelia or someone who's career really needs reviving as they have zero chance of getting back in the press otherwise. Alexandra is still in the papers so doesn't need to worry.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Postbox wrote: »
    I doubt it's Alexandra, it's more likely to be Jamelia or someone who's career really needs reviving as they have zero chance of getting back in the press otherwise. Alexandra is still in the papers so doesn't need to worry.

Jamelia is a tiny bit busy being a judge on The Voice of Ireland....
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jamelia isn't even on the list and at least she has a judging role on the Voice of Ireland
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see how this would benefit her career. She'd pretty much lock herself into Europe. And with this being AB, the girl who trends worldwide from twitter hate every time she appears on TV I can just see this ending in absolute disaster.

Alex isn't a joke act like Jedward. Jade Ewen also did ESC but it did nothing for her solo career and her solo single flopped, her album was scrapped and she was dropped.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I can't see how this would benefit her career. She'd pretty much lock herself into Europe. And with this being AB, the girl who trends worldwide from twitter hate every time she appears on TV I can just see this ending in absolute disaster.

Alex isn't a joke act like Jedward. Jade Ewen also did ESC but it did nothing for her solo career and her solo single flopped, her album was scrapped and she was dropped.

How is she locking herself into Europe? Previous winner Loreen has charted in Australia also (note: Higher than All Night Long did with promo)

If she does the promo right there's no need to "lock herself into Europe"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is she locking herself into Europe? Previous winner Loreen has charted in Australia also

If she does the promo right there's no need to "lock herself into Europe"

Charted where? Loreen was a one hit wonder. She is not even successful in the UK. AB may see a temporary boost in Europe but I guarantee that it won't last long and she may even end up in a way worse position, especially if she doesn't come in the top 5.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    Charted where? Loreen was a one hit wonder. She is not even successful in the UK. AB may see a temporary boost in Europe but I guarantee that it won't last long and she may even end up in a way worse position, especially if she doesn't come in the top 5.

Loreen's second (and latest) single went top 30, 20 and 10 around Europe

The fact that she doesn't chart in the UK is because radio's won't play her and she's not doing promo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Jamelia isn't even on the list and at least she has a judging role on the Voice of Ireland

Where's this list?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loreen's second (and latest) single went top 30, 20 and 10 around Europe

The fact that she doesn't chart in the UK is because radio's won't play her and she's not doing promo

Exactly. AB's credibility will be totally destroyed if she does this.

At least if she made it on her own and got on with focusing on the US she may get played again. ESC will ensure that she's seen as a joke forever.

Lumped together with Jedward and Englebert Humpwhatever...sorry but that AIN'T the move she needs to be making.
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's this list?

Run D.M.C. & Aerosmith
    One Direction
    Zager & Evans
    Ph.D.
    Gamu
    Babybird
    Caro Emerald
    Bee Gees
    Jessie J
    Shea
    Detroit Emeralds
    The Avett Brothers
    Dan Gillespie Sells & Ian Masterson
    The Leisure Society
    Hall & Oates
    Kelly Rowland
    P!nk
    ABBA
    Lindi Ortega
    Joss Stone
    D:Ream
    Debbie Harry
    Paloma Faith
    Jackie DeShannon
    Mousse T Vs Hot 'N' Juicy
    Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
    Eagle-Eye Cherry
    RODRIGUEZ
    Barry White
    Whitney Houston
    Mika
    Olly Murs
    Tavares
    Robbie Williams
    Wayne Fontana
    Loudon Wainwright III
    The Wanted
    Sam Gray
    Randy Edelman
    Claudia Brücken
    Frank Tovey
    Alice Martineau
    Toploader
    The Beach Boys
    Joy Sarney
    Cody ChesnuTT
    Lily Allen
    Tyler James
    Snow Patrol
    Pet Shop Boys
    Pulp
    George McCrae
    Petula Clark
    Elvis Presley
    Bruce Springsteen
    Taylor Dayne
    Modjo
    Lemar
    Collin Raye
    Jack Savoretti
    Toni Basil
    The Band
    Matt Bianco
    The Selecter
    Nicole Scherzinger
    The Turtles
    The Handley Family
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Mumford & Sons
    Little Mix
    Rozalla
    Tyler James
    The Ritchie Family
    Rachael Sage
    The Toasters
    Bobbie Gentry
    Mick Hucknall
    Alexandra Burke
    Jack Savoretti
    The Human League
    Depeche Mode
    Laura Mvula

Taking out those dead, from other countries or in concert elsewhere we're left with

Gamu
    Jessie J
    Joss Stone - Doubt on show last week
    Paloma Faith
    Olly Murs
    Robbie Williams
    The Wanted
    Sam Gray -In DMGP
    Lily Allen
    Tyler James
    Snow Patrol
    Pet Shop Boys -Asked before
    Pulp - Like ESC
    Petula Clark - Her material is out already
    Lemar
    Nicole Scherzinger
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Mumford & Sons
    Little Mix
    Rozalla
    Mick Hucknall
    Alexandra Burke
    Depeche Mode
    Laura Mvula
    The Feeling
    Jim Diamond
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jade was not as you put it dropped she made a big mistake quitting her solo career for the Sugababes and all promo for My Man was subsequently dropped but it still made the top 40.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gamu
    Jessie J
    Joss Stone - Doubt on show last week
    Paloma Faith
    Nicole Scherzinger
    Little Mix
    Alexandra Burke
    Laura Mvula

So these are the people with big voices left. Would Nicole and Gamu be allowed to perform?

Laura Mvula could happen, she has her debut album out soon and there's little to no buzz around it.

Lord I hope it isn't Alex.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So these are the people with big voices left. Would Nicole and Gamu be allowed to perform?

Laura Mvula could happen, she has her debut album out soon and there's little to no buzz around it.

Lord I hope it isn't Alex.

I don't think anyone would think they'd pick the likes of Gamu. As I say we can't confirm the female ballad rumours though it has been persistant for a long time. The worst thing is ESC bloggers will try to force an answer from these acts as the BBC says nothing. The cut off date for picking the acts and songs is March 18th. March 18th is the UK reveal day hence why any suggestion is jumped on. Now that a certain list is known each act will be examined untill they say otherwise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Exactly. AB's credibility will be totally destroyed if she does this.

Why do people in this country have such an obsession with 'credibility'? :rolleyes:

Pop music is pop music. Just accept it for what it is.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I don't think anyone would think they'd pick the likes of Gamu. As I say we can't confirm the female ballad rumours though it has been persistant for a long time. The worst thing is ESC bloggers will try to force an answer from these acts as the BBC says nothing. The cut off date for picking the acts and songs is March 18th. March 18th is the UK reveal day hence why any suggestion is jumped on. Now that a certain list is known each act will be examined untill they say otherwise.

Wait, which Gamu? :o

I'm really not sure how I feel about this, my only issue is that she won't do too well in the contest if she doesn't come in the top five than she will have no career left to salvage( Presuming that she is doing it)..:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    Wait, which Gamu? :o

I'm really not sure how I feel about this, my only issue is that she won't do too well in the contest if she doesn't come in the top five than she will have no career left to salvage( Presuming that she is doing it)..:(

If it's her and in a year like this at ESC she'd have to have a god awful song not to do well knowing her back catalogue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omg... if she is doing it i won't support her ever again.. WE WON'T WIN and then she'll be a laughing stock, another failed UK attempt.. then her career will most certainly be over... if she is doing it i will go mad.

Plus now seeing as Inna has Tonight.. she wouldn't be able to use that track.. lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omg... if she is doing it i won't support her ever again.. WE WON'T WIN and then she'll be a laughing stock, another failed UK attempt.. then her career will most certainly be over... if she is doing it i will go mad.

Plus now seeing as Inna has Tonight.. she wouldn't be able to use that track.. lol

I don't think she "has" it tbh. The instrumental doesn't sound like the official DJ Smash production that AB has on her version, listen closely and Inna's version sounds like a karaoke remake.

I agree with ESC though, it will be a disaster and I just know there would be people literally waiting to see her fail so that they can ridicule her yet again. If she does it and doesn't come in the top 5, everyone will suddenly care about Eurovision again just so they can slate her.

I hope this stays just a rumour tbh, it will destroy her career and it's not something she should be associated with.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    I don't think she "has" it tbh. The instrumental doesn't sound like the official DJ Smash production that AB has on her version, listen closely and Inna's version sounds like a karaoke remake.

I agree with ESC though, it will be a disaster and I just know there would be people literally waiting to see her fail so that they can ridicule her yet again. If she does it and doesn't come in the top 5, everyone will suddenly care about Eurovision again just so they can slate her.

I hope this stays just a rumour tbh, it will destroy her career and it's not something she should be associated with.

this. She'd be mad.
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member

It has such a stigma attached to it in the UK now. Even Wogan and Graham Norton just made fun of the whole thing during their commentaries.She would be regarded as a joke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I could go to the future and saw that she won eurovision I would be a bit more lenient towards the idea but its so so unlikely that it is too much of a risk to take. Plus it's cheesy and embarrassing, would be a career low for her and ruin any chances of future success completely!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    It has such a stigma attached to it in the UK now. Even Wogan and Graham Norton just made fun of the whole thing during their commentaries.She would be regarded as a joke.

I agree, the UK have never cared about the competition for ages now, and they always talk about leaving. They see the whole thing as a joke, and Alex would be roped into that if she represented the UK.

It doesn't correlate with what she has been doing though, she's been recording in America a lot, and if she was that serious about Europe, she would have capitalised on the success of Tonight, but she didn't. I just hope she hasn't accepted any possible offer because like you said, the competition is regarded as a joke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I could go to the future and saw that she won eurovision I would be a bit more lenient towards the idea but its so so unlikely that it is too much of a risk to take. Plus it's cheesy and embarrassing, would be a career low for her and ruin any chances of future success completely!

Totally agree. It's actually worse than the West End story tbh, and it's such a big risk, if she succeeded, which is highly unlikely, there wouldn't even be that much of a benefit for her. But if she failed, the repercussions would be cataclysmic for her career.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After thinking about it, I think everyone are just over reacting, just like when the gospel news came about... You need to be open minded and not be so narrow thinking.

IF and I say IF, Alex is the one representing us, there's no doubt she would get A LOT of press... The UK would obviously jump on the bandwagon of hating on her, but you guys are making it sound like the UK are loving her? If she is picked and her song is amazing, and she manages to get the UK high up on the scoreboard, the UK will praise her for that. Remember, everyone in the UK know we'll NEVER win.. They're not expecting a win, they just want a good placing, rather then our usual 20th. -_-

In Europe, she would gain many new fans, and even remind her old fans there, why they were stanning for her in the first place. I'm not expecting a miracle, I really do doubt it's Alex, but like someone else said previously, It's better if Alex is doing something rather then nothing. I think everyone just needs to calm down and actually think.
This discussion has been closed.