Options

Why is gaming getting blamed?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link to the article on The Sun - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4702951/dark-world-of-school-massacre-adam-lanza.html

I particularly like the section by the "child psycologist" and the one about Anders Breivik and Mohammed Merah. Truly laughable.

And the award for stupidest comment i read before i got bored on that link

"violent games are like drink,anything can happen when you are under the influence"

Who do we report this article the PCC? i think if enough of us CoD players that don't turn out crazy, the Sun would be forced to apologize....yet again
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yes. Games absolutely are to blame.

The fact that any teenage psycho can nip down the shops and pick up an assault rifle with a ton of bullets is clearly irrelevant.

Ban games now and no one will ever die again, guaranteed.

/facepalm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    And the award for stupidest comment i read before i got bored on that link

"violent games are like drink,anything can happen when you are under the influence"

Who do we report this article the PCC? i think if enough of us CoD players that don't turn out crazy, the Sun would be forced to apologize....yet again

Actually never thought about that. They are demonising something that is enjoyed by millions of people around the word. Its nothing more than escapism. Problem is, publications like the Sun, Daily Mail etc don't see gaming as a viable social and industrial sphere and as such are always looking for means to try and drag it down. Look at Marilyn Manson - after those two kids killed themselves, and a quoted Manson lyric was found in their suicide note, the media turned on him, mainly due to misunderstanding. The same thing is happening to CoD, Mass Effect, Bully, Manhunt etc (ok, so the latter 2 are a little harder to explain) - a lot of the media is out of date, too old to fully appreciate what gaming has become. How many people that play CoD can honestly say that they dont use it as another social medium? I wont lie, some of the best laughs I have had with my friends were on Cod4 and 5. We havent collectively gone out and shot up schools, universities, cinemas, childrens religious camps etc just for shits and giggles. A similar thing happened last week when that poor nurse killed herself in the wake of the prank call - the mdeia demonised the 2 dj's and for what? Having a bit of fun? They said (before the nurse even killed herself) that they never expected that the call would have gotten as far as it is. But no matter, the media had easy prey and collective readers in need of some milk, lapping up everything they read. I like to call it "The Great British Backlash".

Back to the Sun article - this is nothing more than lazy journalism. The writer is treating the reader like an absolute idiot but more to the point, they clearly believe that gamers are freaks with no ability to detract from virtual reality. It is, quite frankly, insulting.

They neglect to mention Thomas Hamilton who walked into Dunblane Primary and shot those school kids. I dont remember there being a mention of him honing his skills on Medal of Honor or Soldier of Fortune (I think they were out in 1996) or Goldeneye, was there? How about Hitler? Emperor Nero? No one seems to mention the recurring theme between mental cases like these - the are MENTAL!

So in that respect yes, I completely think we should complain. Im not an idiot and I am not about to go and massacre the first school I see due to the fact I play CoD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes. Games absolutely are to blame.

The fact that any teenage psycho can nip down the shops and pick up an assault rifle with a ton of bullets is clearly irrelevant.

Ban games now and no one will ever die again, guaranteed.

/facepalm.

it really is pathetic.
    the NRA has ruled the Gun Policy in the US for years.
    Its like Breivik they tried putting a link between him playing World of Warcraft a lot and the crimes he commited.

Give people the means to get ammo/Weapons and they have horrendous things planned chances are its going to happen.
    Its the sale and ownership of Real life weapons needs a serious review.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    its not the games,its down to the individual.having a mother who wa\s armed to the teeth didnt help.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with games the gun law is more to blame, blaming computer games is an easy excuse.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with games the gun law is more to blame, blaming computer games is an easy excuse.

It's not easy, it's right.

I for one am going to destroy all the games in my collection with an age rating over 12 before I go on a killing spree. :mad::mad::eek::D:D:rolleyes:;)
  • Options
    terry66532terry66532 Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    300 million guns in the hands of civilians has some benefit , if usa was ever invaded by anyone -- it won't be easy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a load of garbage! If there is a correlation between playing Call of Duty and going out on a murder rampage, why then are almost all rampages taking place in America. Where are the teenage British boys or French boys or Aussie or Kiwi or JAmaican or Beligan lads running around gunning down school children and passers by on an annual basis? I say that anybody who thinks video games play anything more than an insignificant part - and I include people reputed as authorities of video gaming - are unable to string a rational thought together.

Think it through. The actual evidence proves that video games have no place in this debate, just as the actual evidence proves that violent films play no part in it. To believe they do you have to strangle your critical thinking and pretend America is the only land with widespread participation in the viewing of or playing of violent films and games.
  • Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tokenting wrote: »
    300 million guns in the hands of civilians has some benefit , if usa was ever invaded by anyone -- it won't be easy.

Pretty sure those nuclear weapons and anti aircraft missiles they own are more of a deterrent.

Id like to see Cleetus try take down an AC130 with his Automatic rifle.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link to the article on The Sun - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4702951/dark-world-of-school-massacre-adam-lanza.html

I particularly like the section by the "child psycologist" and the one about Anders Breivik and Mohammed Merah. Truly laughable.

Jesus wept!

I got this far...

Friends and family portrayed Adam Lanza’s mother Nancy as a paranoid person who stockpiled guns. It is unlikely that she would have been able to give him the influence he needed
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member

I completely ignore what most of the media says, especially anything owned by Rupert Murdock (FOX News, Sky News, Sun…. etc.) they are all completely biased against gaming. Gaming is taking over as mainstream, less and less people are watching TV as their main form of entertainment and because of that they are in turn losing a fortune in advertising revenue. It’s even worse for the papers; that is why they sensationalise, hoping to drawn people back into their propaganda and lies. They would love for games to be banned in order for everyone to watch more TV and read the constant crap they print. It’s not about the truth it never has been; it’s about making money.

Don't print or click their links, that's what they want..
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Numa wrote: »
    I completely ignore what most of the media says, especially anything owned by Rupert Murdock (FOX News, Sky News, Sun…. etc.) they are all completely biased against gaming. Gaming is taking over as mainstream, less and less people are watching TV as their main form of entertainment and because of that they are in turn losing a fortune in advertising revenue. It’s even worse for the papers; that is why they sensationalise, hoping to drawn people back into their propaganda and lies. They would love for games to be banned in order for everyone to watch more TV and read the constant crap they print. It’s not about the truth it never has been; it’s about making money.

Don't print or click their links, that's what they want..

Yanno - I never thought of it like that and what a great point!