Who are Playtv UK?

Before I start the post. I realize this is my first post but I have been on this board for a very long time under the username gekornro. I registered that with one of my old email addresses that is now defunct. And for logging in here it has always been automatic until i reinstalled windows the other day. I forgot the password and the email adress is no longer valid so i just registered a new username.

My post is not intended as marketing or anything like that.... Now that is out of the way my question is:

Who are Playtv http://www.playtvuk.com/?

They phoned me the other day asking if I wanted to join. I would never sign up to anything on the phone anyway but I was curious to who these people are. They said the website would not be up until this week and looking at it there is not a lot of information there. Nothing about prices, the date on the article is wrong and a lot of links that points nowhere.

I didn't know where to post this but the service is the same as BT Vision. They have a Freeview PVR box and then VOD via your broadband line.

Anyone heard of them?

Comments

• DeanDSDeanDS Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gekornro1 wrote: »
    Before I start the post. I realize this is my first post but I have been on this board for a very long time under the username gekornro. I registered that with one of my old email addresses that is now defunct. And for logging in here it has always been automatic until i reinstalled windows the other day. I forgot the password and the email adress is no longer valid so i just registered a new username.

My post is not intended as marketing or anything like that.... Now that is out of the way my question is:

They phoned me the other day asking if I wanted to join. I would never sign up to anything on the phone anyway but I was curious to who these people are. They said the website would not be up until this week and looking at it there is not a lot of information there. Nothing about prices, the date on the article is wrong and a lot of links that points nowhere.

I didn't know where to post this but the service is the same as BT Vision. They have a Freeview PVR box and then VOD via your broadband line.

Anyone heard of them?

It doesn't show anything to fill me with confidence TBH. I have not heard of them before, so wouldn't trust them until i saw something from a reputible source.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyone heard of them?

Looks like a swindle to me. No pics of the hardware, no proper pricing, promotion of services that they shouldn't really have, general lack of information...
  • wwwebberwwwebber Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've looked into this and it looks dodgy to be honest. The Playtvuk website states that they are using the VeHDa HD+80 for the IPTV / Freeview / PVR funtions. I've looked at the website below about this STB :-

http://www.vehda.co.uk/HD.html

And it mentions absolutely nothing about IPTV functionality.

Also, the postal address for both companies (Playtvuk & VeHDa) are exactly the same !!. I've not heard of either of them and I woudn't touch them to be honest.

Lastly, you sound very defensive about your username, motives & not being in marketing etc which I found quite strange.

Do you work for one of these companies ?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    A google search brought up this site:

http://www.eastone.co.uk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

A test site for their web page.

This site indicates that their sport content is from Setanta and Eurosport and is available for £10 per month.

I checked the Setanta website and found no mention of Playtv, however I did find that you can subscribe to Setanta by Broadband for £7.99 per month including Setanta 1, 2 and Golf. Not sure if this has been discussed elsewhere but I didn't know!
  • Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,584
    Forum Member
    ...and they want you to phone them on an 0871 telephone number...

...and they say that one of their movie channels has "real adult content"
  • wwwebberwwwebber Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin1960 wrote: »
    ...and they want you to phone them on an 0871 telephone number...

Good point - they make a profit everytime someone calls them - not good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin1960 wrote: »

Now they've got me where do I sign up? :D
  • gekornro1gekornro1 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    They do exist on companies house website:

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/f90da538f98d6a539c036f138330da66/compdetails

Anyone in Brighton who can pop into 168 Church road? That's here they are based apparently.

A whois reveals:
    domain: playtvuk.com
    owner: Play Radio UK Ltd
    email: ahealy@homecareltd.com
    address: Broadcast Centre, Imperium House
    address: Ford Lane, Ford, Arundel
    city: West Sussex
    state: --
    postal-code: BN18 0DF

They also have http://www.playradiouk.com/ which I have never seen before. But contents is pretty good. Also have a live studio webcam with a real person on it :D

If it's the woman that phoned me to offer me the service then that's ok by me. She sounded very nice!! When that is said she was not pushy at all. When I said I was not interested she was completly fine with that, wished me a good evening and said that I could visit their website when it launched in case I change my mind or wanted more info.
  • gekornro1gekornro1 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Found some more info on them..... Looks bigger than first thought.

Please read the below articles but there was one thing that interested me:
    The high-definition VeHDa boxes are programmed with GDB’s middleware and will carry over 700 channels from 84 countries, allowing UK consumers to watch ‘local TV’ regardless of their geographical location. Channels include; GDB’s own niche, local and international channels; Play TV movies, Play TV entertainment and Play TV sport; popular generic content and terrestrial freeview.

I am from Scandinavia and currently I have a dish with canal digital subscription. How can they have "local" tv without getting into all sorts of trouble with licensing etc...Still looks very interesting.

LOOONG Article:
    http://www.ukprwire.com/Detailed/Business/Global_IPTV_Domination_Achieved_in_UK_with_Major_VeHDa_Deal_7980.shtml

Shorter one from the GDBTV website:

http://www.globaldigitalbroadcast.com/playTV.php

Play TV, VeHDa, GDB and
    Cima-Tech at the signing of the agreement on Friday 29th June 2007.

The deal is to release and install 500,000 IPTV set-top boxes within the UK consumer market by the end of 2008.

Left to Right: James Thompson (VeHDa), Jeremy Simpson (CIMA), Dave Bone (VeHDa), David Reynolds (Play TV), Angus Kirkwood (CIMA), David Wray (GDB).

The ground floor of Play TV sales department, hotting up already for the 100,000 boxes that will be installed, by VeHDa engineers, directly into customers’ homes by Christmas 2007.

"The GDB/VeHDa/Play partnership will give the consumer a much wider selection of competitively-priced programming options." David Reynolds, Managing Director of Play TV.

The high-definition VeHDa boxes are programmed with GDB’s middleware and will carry over 700 channels from 84 countries, allowing UK consumers to watch ‘local TV’ regardless of their geographical location. Channels include; GDB’s own niche, local and international channels; Play TV movies, Play TV entertainment and Play TV sport; popular generic content and terrestrial freeview.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I got a call as well and thought why not for if it all goes bang for £10 month you get a hard disk freeview recorder for free, could always sell it on ebay

if this workes I get IPTV with out BT broadband and a lot more choise, if you get bradcast TV from round the world you could pick up UK football from Spain or any ware on a Saturday

the more I look in to these chap I feel they are an off the wall start up but they may have something, I am going to go for it and see what the results are like

from what I can work out they are related to http://satellitedirectuk.com/aboutus.html a sky box fixer, thats why they had my number and new I had sky

this is work a look at

This partnership utilises the resources of both VeHDa and sister company, Play TV, including: over 200 installation and service engineers, strategically located around the UK; and an 800 strong force of sales and customer service staff. Over 200, new, VeHDa/Play TV-branded vans are also being deployed to transport the boxes.

Connexions 4 London (C4L) has been chosen as the network provider to support the deal. C4L founder, Mr. Matt Hawkins, states; �This is a brand new class of IPTV and we�re on board because we can support the high-capacity bandwidth required to take home entertainment to the next level. It is a very smart move to give consumers triple play and hi-def in one easy solution and Play TV looks to be the next major player in the market.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ground floor of Play TV sales department, hotting up already for the 100,000 boxes that will be installed, by VeHDa engineers, directly into customers’ homes by Christmas 2007.

I'd be surprised if they manage to shift 1,000 boxes in 6 months let alone 100,000 although I'm happy to be proven wrong :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smatheson wrote: »
    over 200 installation and service engineers, strategically located around the UK;

To save you guys doing the maths ;) ............That means each engineer will be installing 4 boxes per day 6 days per week every week between now and Christmas. Likely?
    Forum Member
    ok so they may be OTT on there estimate, how many has Fusion boxes how BT shifted? and hey will have to work on there image but content rules the world, it took SKY many years to make a profit
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok so they may be OTT on there estimate, how many has Fusion boxes how BT shifted? and hey will have to work on there image but content rules the world, it took SKY many years to make a profit

The last count was 5000 v-boxes but I'd guess it's quite a few more now.
    Forum Member
    so at that rate they would catchup, I look into ordering one and let you know what the out come is
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so at that rate they would catchup, I look into ordering one and let you know what the out come is

If you do go for it please do let us know what it's like.

BT are spending over £100 million on Vision over the first 12 months so I'd love to know where Play TV are getting their money from.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also have http://www.playradiouk.com/ which I have never seen before. But contents is pretty good. Also have a live studio webcam with a real person on it :D

Play Radio's a pretty good internet station. I've listened to it, on and off for the last couple of years via WinAmp.

Didn't know they did a rock version though!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a thread in the Freeview forum with a link to an article about the company, the article is

http://informitv.com/articles/2007/07/05/globaldigitalbroadcast/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi guys have a look at http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593543 another intresting post .........
    Forum Member
    Global Digital Broadcast takes on major players
    A small British company based in Brighton is promising to take on the major platform operators with a plan to install half a million set-top boxes for its broadband television service by the end of 2008. Global Digital Broadcast says it will have 100,000 boxes installed by Christmas.

The high-definition set-top boxes are programmed to receive over 700 channels from 84 countries. GDB has signed a deal to release and install 500,000 broadband set-top boxes within the consumer market in the United Kingdom by the end of 2008. It has teamed up with another local company, VeHDa, based in Arundel. The partnership with VeHDa and its sister company Play TV will employ over 200 installation engineers.

GDB co-founder, Mr Jim Deans, says: “Our marriage to VeHDa and Play TV finalises our route to market, allowing GDB to continue with its engineering and software platform development whilst knowing that consumer interests are being handled by a team of experienced professionals.”

Channels available with include those on digital terrestrial television received through twin tuners, as well as Play TV movies, Play TV entertainment and Play TV sport channels, and niche, local and international channels delivered over broadband.

James Thompson of VeHDa said: “This is a victorious deal for all parties concerned and I feel that, ultimately, the end user is the biggest winner here, because we are giving them greater choice, flexibility and control.”

The network provider will be Connexions 4 London, a wholesale internet service provider. C4L founder, Matt Hawkins, said: “This is a brand new class of IPTV and we’re on board because we can support the high-capacity bandwidth required to take home entertainment to the next level. It is a very smart move to give consumers triple play and hi-def in one easy solution and Play TV looks to be the next major player in the market.”

The roll-out of the VeHDa boxes, manufactured by CIMA Technology in China, will start in September.

“We feel that GDB and VeHDa have a clear vision of what IPTV can truly offer to the customer and that this exceeds the limited offerings from BT and Sky,” said Angus Kirkwood, co-founder of CIMA.

The service will compete directly with those from major operators such as BT Vision, and in the future Orange, no doubt with a fraction of their marketing budget. It represents a vision of a world of services delivered over an open network, as opposed to the closed networks managed directly by many service providers.

www.gdbtv.com
    www.playtvuk.com Play TV
    www.vehda.co.uk
    www.cima-tech.tv

This is probably one of the most comprehensive independent pieces on PlayTVUK, about PlayTVUK and how its technology will supercede and make it the next step on....watch this space on PlayTVUK I guess...
    Forum Member
    Above posting is featured in informitv (see google for full link under PlayTVUK search..

Independent data shows PlayTV will offer 700 channels+, the top satellite package offers 400 channels+ and cable offers 130+ and BT vision even less...

Wellknown satellite and cable companies do not have the monopoly on the best in sports and movies entertainment either..there is room in the market for more serious players to offer a greater choice and cost-effective packages to discerning viewers..

PLAY TV is genuine...as per above posting...

and is pinprotected to enable safe family viewing, as you would when going to the cinema have your children view permitted appropriate age material limits and discerning adults can watch 18+ material and adult entertainment even....

I think the best way is to give it a try, let the engineer installer show me how it works...then review and take it from there....unless you are informed and sign up for it, then how do you know...it is very reasonably priced to give it a go, I thought far cheaper than a satellite full package...and as I'm not tied into any satellite/cable preferences, want more for my money too would give it ago...apparently you can use your own broadband provider or if not they offer you a top broadband offering too...they have a solution for almost everything it seems!!!
    Forum Member
    I think what can be seen is that PlayTVUK and its amazing MD are taking on the other players out there....and that may not be popular...at the end its the consumer who votes...

remember Virgin vs British Airways battles for the skies and the amazing personality of Richard Branson...well look where he is now...and how many fields of our lives he touches upon...

and also for that matter the daring MD of flybe.com....there is room for more choice out there and more daring entreprenneurs to give us a better deal as buyers and viewers....!!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what can be seen is that PlayTVUK and its amazing MD are taking on the other players out there....and that may not be popular...at the end its the consumer who votes...

remember Virgin vs British Airways battles for the skies and the amazing personality of Richard Branson...well look where he is now...and how many fields of our lives he touches upon...

and also for that matter the daring MD of flybe.com....there is room for more choice out there and more daring entreprenneurs to give us a better deal as buyers and viewers....!!!!!!!

Yeah but do thay have live football?

Is it anything other than streaming pictures from the web to the TV. (Similar to TVU but streamed to the TV)

Sorry but withut signing deals with studios/sports companies you are not going to get the programmes most people are interested in. Richard Branson was already a "personality" with a lot of backing when he created his airline.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder who in this thread works for the company mentioned? :D:D:D

I smell sh!te.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    timboy wrote: »
    I wonder who in this thread works for the company mentioned? :D:D:D

I smell sh!te.

has any one order it and and any one had there paper work from them yet