Options

Is CGI the worst thing to happen to the action/adventure genre?

2»

Comments

• Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bowmani wrote: »
    CGI will be bombarding us soon: Avatar 2 & 3, Star Wars. I love CGI look how great Gollum turned out. Yoda in Empire worked just right with a puppet so there are times where puppets excel. Lets not hate CGI though folks, after all without it we wouldn't have Toy Story, UP, Dobby or Jar Jar Binks!

Puppet Yoda in a lighsaber duel would have sucked more than CGI Yoda does.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Too late, Clu in Tron: Legacy was a completely CGI version of a young Jeff Bridges. Not sure it's what you'd call a feature role...
    What about Arnie in T4?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Yep, I've not seen many films as I know they are going to be pure CGI-fests.

These days films tend to be two kinds of films in the action/adventure/fantasy/sci-fi genres.

1) Over long as they try and do so many CGI "wow moments" that the film suggers. For example the last Transformers film. You had at least 20 minutes of extra stuff at the end just t do yet more CGI moments in an effort to have that big impressive ending.

2) The film is built up on set piece CGI shots and scenes and the rest is seen and used as filler to get you to those scenes.

The general rule of thumb IMO is the more CGI the less the storyline and especially character development there is.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think CGI improves the experiance in films that have a Sci-fi or Fantasy element to them or when used simply to improve backgrounds and the likes (although even such films can see their director go overboard with CG *cough*Michael Bay*cough*)

Where I hate them is in Action movies that are supposed to be set in the real world. Either a stunt can be done physically or it doesn't belong in the movie. It is what I liked about the Die Hard francise until Die Hard 5 and its replacing physical stunts with CGI (Ok Die Hard 4’s plane surfing bit was ridiculous as well)
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the Americans on ITV the other night off tape when the CIA house when bang I played it back in super slow motion just to check as I thought it was a "real" explosion and indeed it was. Was good to see in an age when similar moments increasingly happen inside a computer.

When Homeland blew up the CIA as the scale was much bigger they faked it with CGI and frankly Stevie Wonder would have spotted it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    With Transformers, I think the problem was in the editing department, rather than in the CG. The GC in the Transformers films is generally (with a few exceptions) very good. The editing, plotline, characterisation, writing and character development however are piss poor.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching a scene from The Matrix, where Neo fights off multiple Agent Smith's with a silver pole being farcical. I think other films have come to over use Special Effects but not to the point i've found it distracting and been taken out of the film. I can only imagine it becoming more excessive as the costs eventually reduce, that more films will be entirely (as is the case now) filmed using CGI.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I watched Green Lantern last night and for the first 10 minutes I thought it was a cartoon.
    I'd have expected better CGI for a big budget comic book hero movie.

About films that are all GGI, how about Tin-Tin? or did you mean without any human actors whatsoever?
  • Options
    TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vodaphone ad with Yoda annoys me. CGI is so affordable now that even the Wonga puppets are getting in on the act!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Tiwttmos wrote: »
    The Vodaphone ad with Yoda annoys me. CGI is so affordable now that even the Wonga puppets are getting in on the act!

Does it annoy you because of the effects or because it's a sacrilege of your childhood?
  • Options
    TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it annoy you because of the effects or because it's a sacrilege of your childhood?
    Just having a winge. Not long back from the dentist;)