Options

Has ED lost it's roots?

Comments

• Options
    jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    I never specified who would accuse them, jude. But there's always one smart alec who would've said 'Well you didn't watch the whole thing so how would you know?' sort of thing. So Janet and the like can't win either way.

Some people like to see things through to the end, y'know! :kitty:

Sorry for ranting at you:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jude007 wrote: »
    Sorry for ranting at you:)

Not at all, everyone loves a good rant, eh! :)
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm definitely glad it's not about Ma making tea anymore
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jude007 wrote: »
    Well if you look at the other forums, the majority of people actually thought last night's was an improvement.

Of course if it was soooooo dreadful why did you insist of watching it for an hour:confused:

Most people would have decided to give up and find something else to do.
    Because I believed it couldn't get any worse - but it did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abbottab wrote: »
    Emmerdale is such a different programme from it's earlier days...can't seem to pinpoint where or when it changed? The 'feel' of the village is not like it used to be. Even the storylines are like they used to be....is it because out going characters over the years have been replaced by non entities?

The same could be said for Home & Away if the episode i caught today is anything to go by. Wouldn't have recognised it as Home & Away if i didn't know what it was i had put on
  • Options
    Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale is such a different programme from it's earlier days...can't seem to pinpoint where or when it changed? The 'feel' of the village is not like it used to be. Even the storylines are like they used to be....is it because out going characters over the years have been replaced by non entities?

yes i loved the farming era and life on the working farm, yes life wasnt evolved around sex and affairs and crime......... there were odd occasions yes but it still managed to entertain (without all cast having the perfect figures, foghorn mouths and similar personalities) Charity Dingle wouldnt survive in my village and people hail her as this god, no way shes a panto character and totally unbelievable. You dont just step out the door and marry a goldmine yet she does over and over again :D
  • Options
    Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i remember the kathy and jackie days (early courting yet he was always busy on the farm and she had to muck in - which incidentially is how it is for many farmers relationships) then she miscarried their first child when the lambs were lambing, a disease which can be passed to humans, forgive me if im wrong, but you actually learnt something as you were watching about the farming ways (i was very young when jackie was in it, i only watched cause my mam did but the memory stuck lol)
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be the only one who doesn't want to see more farming focus. Give me characters in overalls, the odd line about cows, and V checking the pigs or having some dialogue about them is enough to stratify me and I speak as someone who was brought up on a farm.

My favourite, stand out moments from Emmerdale past have nothing to do with farming, tbh, I can't recall much of those scenes at all. I would hate the show to turn into some feature length "visit Yorkshire" advert.
    Couldn't agree more JoP. :)
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I believed it couldn't get any worse - but it did.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    glen20glen20 Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just about the farming aspect (or lack of) though is it?

The problem is all the unlikable, hard-faced characters (most who sound like they come from Manchester) leading a life of crime, sleeping with everyone and everything and generally being unrealistically ruthless. I'm not saying they should all be angels, but it's just very hard to relate to them and care about them. Still, at least Ali has a Yorkshire accent!

Also, I think they need to up the pace a bit more. How much longer will we have to wait for Charity to get her comeuppance? When will David and Alicia finally be able to enjoy married life?

Finally the comedy (one of ED's strengths was always the mix of comedy and serious drama) has been left to the likes of Dan, Kerry and Bob in his sombrero. Need I say more?!
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Emmerdale Farm finished 21 years ago as soon as that plane hit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sunny B wrote: »
    Emmerdale Farm finished 21 years ago as soon as that plane hit.

Actually, Emmerdale Farm finished in 1989 and the plane hit in 1993. Of course, if you are talking metaphorically, there was still a good deal of farming and rural storylines right the way through the 90s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually, Emmerdale Farm finished in 1989 and the plane hit in 1993. Of course, if you are talking metaphorically, there was still a good deal of farming and rural storylines right the way through the 90s.

Yeah, I didn't start watching until 2000. The bus crash episode when Butch died! Think I remember Graham pushing Rachel off the cliff though - that was late 90's wasn't it?
  • Options
    abbottababbottab Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cody1 wrote: »
    i remember the kathy and jackie days (early courting yet he was always busy on the farm and she had to muck in - which incidentially is how it is for many farmers relationships) then she miscarried their first child when the lambs were lambing, a disease which can be passed to humans, forgive me if im wrong, but you actually learnt something as you were watching about the farming ways (i was very young when jackie was in it, i only watched cause my mam did but the memory stuck lol)

Yes...and when Kate Sudgen (Rachel Hughes Mum) ran over Peter Whitetly. She was driving Joe's car at the time and I think Peter was having an affair with Rachel. She was convicted and sent to prison. There was stories like there are now, they were just done with a little more CLASS!!
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does annie make tea anymore?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One episode that I think stands out is from Dec 1994, the first anniversary of the plane crash. I remember Amos's speech in the church and the haunting silent clips of the plane crash while he spoke. Again it was done with class and dignity. I think the makers today wouldn't have a clue where to begin to carry out such an episode in todays era, it's not the same programme for a start, it's starting to slide into the realms of fantasy than it used to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    Does annie make tea anymore?

During her last visit in 2009 for Jack's funeral she got Diane to put the kettle on! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I didn't start watching until 2000. The bus crash episode when Butch died! Think I remember Graham pushing Rachel off the cliff though - that was late 90's wasn't it?

Yes late 90s, 2000. It was about this point not long after they changed the 'piano' theme tune when the tone started to change progressively
  • Options
    glen20glen20 Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, it was 1999 and when I started watching properly. Back then, all the characters had very different personalities. Nowadays, the characters are pretty much the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes...and when Kate Sudgen (Rachel Hughes Mum) ran over Peter Whitetly. She was driving Joe's car at the time and I think Peter was having an affair with Rachel. She was convicted and sent to prison. There was stories like there are now, they were just done with a little more CLASS!!
    One episode that I think stands out is from Dec 1994, the first anniversary of the plane crash. I remember Amos's speech in the church and the haunting silent clips of the plane crash while he spoke. Again it was done with class and dignity. I think the makers today wouldn't have a clue where to begin to carry out such an episode in todays era, it's not the same programme for a start, it's starting to slide into the realms of fantasy than it used to be.
    glen20 wrote: »
    Yes, it was 1999 and when I started watching properly. Back then, all the characters had very different personalities. Nowadays, the characters are pretty much the same.

All spot on comments!

Yes, Rachel's push was September 1999, if memory serves! A great episode, although the Kathy/Graham showdown a year later was even better! After that Kathy just faded away. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All spot on comments!

Yes, Rachel's push was September 1999, if memory serves! A great episode, although the Kathy/Graham showdown a year later was even better! After that Kathy just faded away. :(

Yeah, Steve Frost axed her in 2001 (probably in favour of Katie) with her departing in December of that year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Steve Frost axed her in 2001 (probably in favour of Katie) with her departing in December of that year.

The transition point. When a lot of todays characters were just coming in to it and the older ones were either axed or just left.:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack and Sarah kept up the farming flavour throughout the mid and late 1990s. I remember when they adopted Andy Hopwood. They were living at the 'second' Emmerdale Farm that was originally Hawthorn cottage. Annie sold her share to Frank Tate because she and Amos had run up medical bills in Spain. Talking of which, wasn't ether a big protest over the quarry...I seem to remember Betty getting in the way of a digger along with the Dingles?...around 1996 1997 period
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did Granada Plus show much old episodes of Emmerdale?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Granada Plus show much old episodes of Emmerdale?

They started from 1989 I think, the first 'Emmerdale' Episode when the Tates came into it.