Does a line up change in a band bother you?

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    I am not sure that Waters quite ever got to grips with Gilmour replacing Barrett.

As for Genesis they left me behind when Hackett left rather than Gabriel.
  • ifihadafishifihadafish Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    However how many bands who achieve success do so with the true original line-up? Very, very, few. After ZZ Top and Rammstein I would be struggling to name any.

Queen. And they can never replace Freddie - good effort by Paul Rodgers, but mostly a failure.
    Electra wrote: »
    Coverdale better than Gillan? pfft
    That one had me spluttering too.:D:D

Gillan is THE singer for Deep Purple. No questions about it.

Most bands will have to make changes as they get older, but the singer makes the most difference usually, and that's where they can fail.

I think the original poster was talking about Mark I Purple getting rid of all their dead wood (Evans/Simper or whatever they were called) and bringing in Gillan and Glover to make them the best version of Purple ever.

But to add in Mark II is really overplayed stuff and I find Mark III and IV more interesting preferring Burn to any other Purple album, Stormbringer being one hell of a song (shame the album carrying it was then weak) and Bolin's last burn out with the Purps is a cracking album as well.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Queen. And they can never replace Freddie - good effort by Paul Rodgers, but mostly a failure.

Agreed

I think the original poster was talking about Mark I Purple getting rid of all their dead wood (Evans/Simper or whatever they were called) and bringing in Gillan and Glover to make them the best version of Purple ever.

Oh. I wasn't aware of any of that. Waaay before my time. Fair enough :)
    But to add in Mark II is really overplayed stuff and I find Mark III and IV more interesting preferring Burn to any other Purple album, Stormbringer being one hell of a song (shame the album carrying it was then weak) and Bolin's last burn out with the Purps is a cracking album as well.

I'll leave you & Deep Purple to fight that one out between you :D
    Forum Member
    I was a huge Roxy Music fan back in the '70s. They never had a permanent bass player & nobody minded. When Eno left, I & most Roxy fans were saddened but they replaced him with Eddie Jobson & came back with a storming album, Stranded & carried on. However, had Ferry left instead, Roxy would have been dead in the water.

And before any Eno fanboys land on me...he agrees :p:D
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Or do you only truly care about the music and not the individual members?

Not if you like the Sugababes, like I do.

It didn't do too much harm to Kiss either, though admittedly I prefer their earlier years.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It always makes me laugh when you see adverts for 70's nostalgia nights and they will advertise the likes of the drifters and then you the photo of 1 original member and 3 twenty-somethings
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a huge Roxy Music fan back in the '70s. They never had a permanent bass player & nobody minded. When Eno left, I & most Roxy fans were saddened but they replaced him with Eddie Jobson & came back with a storming album, Stranded & carried on. However, had Ferry left instead, Roxy would have been dead in the water.

And before any Eno fanboys land on me...he agrees :p:D

Post Siren, they were pretty well creatively dead in the water anyway...and that's from Ferry!
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Post Siren, they were pretty well creatively dead in the water anyway...and that's from Ferry!

Yes, I was rather underwhelmed by Manifesto & then their sound continued to smooth out too much for my (then) tastes. Their hiatus did them no favours at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The New Mamas and The Papas featuring Mackenzie Phillips and Spanky McFarlane instead of Cass Elliot and Michelle Phillips. Awful.
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »

It didn't do too much harm to Kiss either, though admittedly I prefer their earlier years.

Tbh, you can't really tell who it is under the makeup anyway.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you lose the chief song writer or the vocalist it's hard retain the same sound. A change of instrumentalist can sometimes invigorate the band, without losing their essense.
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting reading guys :)
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I misread it as well:o I thought they meant a change from the classic line up, which isn't what they said.

As for MkIII and IV being better than MkII :eek: No, no, no (as the classic MkII song says)

A lot of the classic rock from that era has been played too much to make listening to it again as wonderful as it was in the day, but it is still pure quality.

Machine Head, Fireball, In Rock, and Made In Japan is as good as rock music gets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pink Floyd undertook two major changes, Firstly when Syd departed, and it took them some years to develop into the huge force they became. I often wonder what would have happened had Syd not become ill.

When Waters left, the remaining members were still a great live act, but the albums were lightweight compared to what went before.
  • ifihadafishifihadafish Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    I misread it as well:o I thought they meant a change from the classic line up, which isn't what they said.

As for MkIII and IV being better than MkII :eek: No, no, no (as the classic MkII song says)

A lot of the classic rock from that era has been played too much to make listening to it again as wonderful as it was in the day, but it is still pure quality.

Machine Head, Fireball, In Rock, and Made In Japan is as good as rock music gets.

I discovered all this stuff in the summer of 1988 and onwards. I enjoyed the Mark II Purple, especially the just then released live album - Nobody's Perfect. Had it on original tape - a format I can't access now, so probably not heard that album in nearly 22-23 years (DOH!!)

However........when I went back to the studio albums of Mark II - I found them pretty dated, and they were really only 14-16ish years old at that time. Whereas Burn seemed to leap out of the speakers. So it always edged it for me. Plus I think I discovered Rainbow (with Dio) before Purple and they're just Blackmore's best work.

What hadn't dated in the same way for me was the Sabbath albums, so that became my prime focus - and still is. So I'd replace Machine Head, Fireball, In Rock, and Made In Japan is as good as rock music gets with Master Of Reality, Volume 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage :D
  • Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alice in Chains just aren't the same without Layne.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I discovered all this stuff in the summer of 1988 and onwards. I enjoyed the Mark II Purple, especially the just then released live album - Nobody's Perfect. Had it on original tape - a format I can't access now, so probably not heard that album in nearly 22-23 years (DOH!!)

However........when I went back to the studio albums of Mark II - I found them pretty dated, and they were really only 14-16ish years old at that time. Whereas Burn seemed to leap out of the speakers. So it always edged it for me. Plus I think I discovered Rainbow (with Dio) before Purple and they're just Blackmore's best work.

What hadn't dated in the same way for me was the Sabbath albums, so that became my prime focus - and still is. So I'd replace Machine Head, Fireball, In Rock, and Made In Japan is as good as rock music gets with Master Of Reality, Volume 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage :D

I love Sabbath too, and I'm off to see them next month for the first time since 1974!!

However, Purple edge it, and for me Gillan has to be with them. Purple without him, and Rainbow have their moments, but I cant get anywhere near as close to them as I have to Purple.

They have actually aged well too, and the latest album is a brilliant album of their current sound.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Destiny's Child line-up was awful once Latoya and the other one got kicked out of the group.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coverdale better than Gillan? pfft

I was thinking Gillan better than Evans.

The In Rock lineup is the classic line up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    I was thinking Gillan better than Evans.

The In Rock lineup is the classic line up.

Gillan is better than anyone who sings with Deep Purple.

The only time I was baffled by him was when he joined Black Sabbath. Now that was weird.

Gillan singing Paranoid, and Sabbath playing Smoke On The Water.:confused:
    Forum Member
    Gillan is better than anyone who sings with Deep Purple.

The only time I was baffled by him was when he joined Black Sabbath. Now that was weird.

Gillan singing Paranoid, and Sabbath playing Smoke On The Water.:confused:

I'd actually forgotten that he joined Sabbath :eek:
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Iron Maiden yet

Current Members

Steve Harris – bass, backing vocals (1975–present), keyboards (1988, 1998–present)
    Dave Murray – guitars (1976–1977, 1978–present)
    Adrian Smith – guitars, backing vocals (1980–1990, 1999–present), keyboards (1988)
    Bruce Dickinson – lead vocals (1981–1993, 1999–present)
    Nicko McBrain – drums, percussion (1982–present)
    Janick Gers – guitars (1990–present)
    Live members
    Michael Kenney – keyboards (1988–present)

Former Members
    Paul Day – lead vocals (1975–1976)
    Ron "Rebel" Matthews – drums (1975–1977)
    Terry Rance – guitars (1975–1976)
    Dave Sullivan – guitars (1975–1976)
    Dennis Wilcock – lead vocals (1976–1978)
    Bob Sawyer – guitars (1977)
    Terry Wapram – guitars (1977–1978)
    Tony Moore – keyboards (1977)
    Thunderstick – drums, percussion (1977)
    Doug Sampson – drums, percussion (1977–1979)
    Paul Di'Anno – lead vocals (1978–1981)
    Paul Cairns – guitars (1978–1979)
    Paul Todd – guitars (1979)
    Tony Parsons – guitars (1979)
    Dennis Stratton – guitars, backing vocals (1979–1980)
    Clive Burr – drums, percussion (1979–1982)
    Blaze Bayley – lead vocals (1994–1999)

FIVE different singers over the years :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Maiden
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Current Members

Steve Harris – bass, backing vocals (1975–present), keyboards (1988, 1998–present)
    Adrian Smith – guitars, backing vocals (1980–1990, 1999–present), keyboards (1988)
    Live members

Former Members

I actually liked Paul Di'Anno's singing style but don't think he would have suited their later songs
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Sabbath too, and I'm off to see them next month for the first time since 1974!!

However, Purple edge it, and for me Gillan has to be with them. Purple without him, and Rainbow have their moments, but I cant get anywhere near as close to them as I have to Purple.

They have actually aged well too, and the latest album is a brilliant album of their current sound.

Rainbow was at their best with Ronnie Dio on vocals. the other 3 singers (Ritchie wanted :D) did ok but were nowhere near the standard of Ronnie.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Current Members

Live members

Former Members

We can discount two of those because they were part of the band before they recorded anything. Sure Paul Di'Anno may have been their first recorded vocalist and the less said about the Blaze era the better. Realistically Bruce is the only voice of Maiden!