Is Blackpool the London of the North?

Comments

• jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    There are of course two Blackpools - the first is the few streets close to the sea, but there is an ordinary, and in places very nice, little town that is tourist free. I lived there for a while and almost never went to the front at all (and if I did, I went to the North, which is much nicer).
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Liverpool is the London of the north. There are parts of the city that could actually be London in terms of architecture and so forth.

Liverpool is amazing
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Yes that's another great selling point they have, not only is it rich in countryside it has several beautiful beaches. It pretty much has it all.
    I was in Tynemouth last weekend, and spent the day on the beach on Saturday - it was sunny and hot, and the beach was almost deserted. Then we went to the Castle and Priory, and walked to the lighthouse, then adjourned to a rather delightful pub for food and drinks. It was all really lovely.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    When I say is Blackpool the London of the North I mean in the way it stands out. Blackpool attracts a huge number of tourists and its famous tower is a national icon.

When foreigners see images of Britain they see Big Ben, Tower Bridge, St Paul's Cathedral and they see Blackpool tower.

Some people may say Manchester is the London of the North but I don't think so. Manchester is a very functional city as opposed to being entirety tourist dominated. It's more a place to do business as oppose to have a holiday. For example there are far more hotels in Blackpool than Manchester, probably almost as many hotels in Blackpool as in a London. One after the other along the prom.

Blackpool like London is full of tourist attractions and has Britain's second waxwork museum. There is probably no place outside London that had as many tourist attractions as Blackpool. Lots of places to eat as well.

Like London it's a very sought after place to relocate to as many former tourists have decided to settle down in Blackpool or perhaps retire from work.

I only wish they had kept the original trams, them new ones are awful. The old trams gave the town identity just like route-master buses gave London identity. Please bring back the old trams they are part of the towns heritage!

Blackpool is colourful, cheerful and classy. Its fun and interest. Like our own Las Vegas.

What are your views?

There's nothing wrong with the new Routemasters and the old Routemasters are still used on a heritage route 15.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Buses_route_15_%28Heritage%29

And Blackpool may be a sought after place to live, but it'll be never be in the same league as places like Dartmouth or Salcombe in Devon.
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    When I say is Blackpool the London of the North I mean in the way it stands out. Blackpool attracts a huge number of tourists and its famous tower is a national icon.

When foreigners see images of Britain they see Big Ben, Tower Bridge, St Paul's Cathedral and they see Blackpool tower.

Some people may say Manchester is the London of the North but I don't think so. Manchester is a very functional city as opposed to being entirety tourist dominated. It's more a place to do business as oppose to have a holiday. For example there are far more hotels in Blackpool than Manchester, probably almost as many hotels in Blackpool as in a London. One after the other along the prom.

Blackpool like London is full of tourist attractions and has Britain's second waxwork museum. There is probably no place outside London that had as many tourist attractions as Blackpool. Lots of places to eat as well.

Like London it's a very sought after place to relocate to as many former tourists have decided to settle down in Blackpool or perhaps retire from work.

I only wish they had kept the original trams, them new ones are awful. The old trams gave the town identity just like route-master buses gave London identity. Please bring back the old trams they are part of the towns heritage!

Blackpool is colourful, cheerful and classy. Its fun and interest. Like our own Las Vegas.

What are your views?

So your home where did you eat, was it good would love to know as we live on the edge of the cotswolds. It good to get feed back for good places. ;-)

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2076749&highlight=
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    housegirl wrote: »
    So your home where did you eat, was it good would love to know as we live on the edge of the cotswolds. It good to get feed back for good places. ;-)

Eight Bells Inn, Housegirl, in Chipping Camden. It's very nice. My sister's in-laws live there, highly recommended, especially the fish and chips. :)
    Forum Member
    Eight Bells Inn, Housegirl, in Chipping Camden. It's very nice. My sister's in-laws live there, highly recommended, especially the fish and chips. :)

Thank you Frankie so love that place. Have sent that to me in email. Love to have a drive out when it is nice, good for hubby. So glad we moved this way 11 years ago, hope your good.;-)
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    housegirl wrote: »

Yes was really nice stopped at Stow on the Wold. Really nice pub and food. I definitely recommend it :)
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There answer is NO. London is a world city - as in New York, Paris, Hong Kong etc. London is important globally. Blackpool is a town that trades on former glories, if it ceased to exist would the rest of the world even notice ?

Believe it or not Richard Francis wrote a novel in which Blackpool DOES cease to exist.

The aliens abducted it if I recall correctly.

It is actually very quirky and amusing. Titled 'Blackpool Vanishes' (Faber 1979).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes was really nice stopped at Stow on the Wold. Really nice pub and food. I definitely recommend it :)

did you find a girlfriend
    Forum Member

Glad you enjoyed love stow on the wold, we have had many many happy days out there. What was the name of the place.
  • Phil_SheridanPhil_Sheridan Posts: 354
    Forum Member

What are your views?

Whatever medication you're on, it isn't working, see your G.P. and ask to have the dosage upped.
    poshbloke wrote: »
    Blackpool is more like the Margate of the North than anything else...

Granted Blackpool is an out and out carsey, but is it as bad as Margate?
    Liverpool is amazing

Amazing is a bit of a stretch, but I quite like the place, and it is streets ahead of Blackpool, well, everywhere is come to that.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine that the majority of foreigners who know of Blackpool are ballroom dancers who know about the Tower Ballroom and nothing else about the town.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever medication you're on, it isn't working, see your G.P. and ask to have the dosage upped.

Granted Blackpool is an out and out carsey, but is it as bad as Margate?

Amazing is a bit of a stretch, but I quite like the place, and it is streets ahead of Blackpool, well, everywhere is come to that.

im sure thats a compliment but it really is...

great shops, great people, loads to do, very trendy, upmarket resturants, nice hotels..

and spotless as well
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not even close.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    York is the Oxford of the north without the uni.

York has a beautiful university with some stunning historical buildings :D
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hull in the London of the north.... Most of a royal night out was filmed there.
  • DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Blackpool is the armpit and arsehole combined of the North. And I'm a Lancastrian saying that.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As part of my work, I've spoken to lots of foreigners who've planned a visit to Britain and only one mentioned Blackpool Tower ... and that one was was an unflattering comparison to the Eiffel Tower!

What didn't they like about it? It was designed to be half the height of the Eiffel tower. The replica in Las Vegas is only 1/3 the height.

You also get a nice view of the coast-line from the top, unlike the other two.
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from London foreign tourists want to see the likes of Liverpool, Manchester, Edinburgh, etc. I can't imagine they'd be clamouring to see Blackpool. I'm a fan of Blackpool, by the way, and thousands of Scots are the same.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blackpool. The smell of rancid chip fat, vomit and discarded fried chicken.

However in its defence, it is most certainly NOT the Margate of the north. No. Margate is the Blackpool of the south.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nowhere in Britain which can touch London

The others try - particularly Manchester - but its not worth it
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    What didn't they like about it? It was designed to be half the height of the Eiffel tower. The replica in Las Vegas is only 1/3 the height.

You also get a nice view of the coast-line from the top, unlike the other two.

They were from Paris, so something half the height of the Eiffel Tower wasn't seen as particularly impressive! ;-)

The point is that they were the only person to have even mentioned Blackpool when talking about this country.

P.S. According to Wiki (so I'm happy to be corrected!) the Las Vegas Tower is 1/2 scale at 541' so is actually taller than Blackpool Tower which is quoted as being 518'.
  • Phil_SheridanPhil_Sheridan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    There's nowhere in Britain which can touch London

The others try - particularly Manchester - but its not worth it

Can't argue with that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    No, Blackpool is the Millport of the south