Sound Help

I've got myself into a right old pickle here and I desperately need help.

Quite a few months ago, I posted on here asking for help in getting my home cinema to play in 5:1 surround sound. I tried everything that was suggested to me but nothing worked, so I gave up - all I get is stereo.

Anyway, this afternoon I thought right, I'm going to sort this out once and for all, so I found my old post and tried again with all the suggestions but still nothing and now I've put all the cables back to the way they were before I started messing with them, only to find that although I have a picture, I can't get any sound at all - not from the amp nor from the telly!

I have a Samsung LE46A565A telly and a Samsung HTZ315R cinema system.

This is how it was set up before (giving me stereo sound).

HDMI cable from TV to STB
HDMI cable from TV to amp
Scart from TV to STB
Scart from TV to amp
Optical cable from STB to amp
Red/white (RGB?) cables from TV to amp

There are 3 different sets of the red/white cable sockets on the back of the TV and I've tried them all to no avail but I do seem to need them because when I pulled them out at the start of this exercise, I lost the sound immediately.

Yes, I know it's a mess but it did work although not any more.

I am crying with frustration here as I've been trying for hours and I've come to the end of my tether. What am I doing wrong? Someone please help me!

Comments

• mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Well, I've messed about a bit more and I've managed to get my sound back on all but the HD channels - surely that's a Virgin problem though? I'll reboot my STB and if that doesn't work, I'll phone Virgin.

I've given myself a headache. :cry:
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the Virgin+ set-up guide LINK

Dealing with soundtracks is confusing at first. What comes out of your speakers depends on the program content, then how the bits of gear are connected, then finally by any processing in the amp.

I've broken it down with the variables of V+ channel, source signal and connection type and shown what you can expect from the speakers as a result. Hope this helps...
    [HD channels & movies] with [Dolby Digital sound tracks] connected via the [optical output] on the V+ box will give you digital audio in [5.1 surround or simple 2ch stereo] depending on the audio content of the program and possibly the amp settings.

[Normal channels] with [stereo or prologic surround sound tracks] connected via the [optical output] on the V+ box will give you digital audio in [stereo or prologic surround]

[HD channels & movies] with [Dolby Digital sound tracks] connected via the [red & white analogue phonos] on the V+ box will give you analogue audio in [prologic surround].

[Normal channels] with [simple stereo sound tracks] connected via the [red & white analogue] phonos on the V+ box will give you analogue audio in either [stereo or prologic surround]

Unlike Blu-ray there is no HD Audio on V+ or Sky HD hi-def channels. The best you have is DD, same as DVDs.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    I eventually managed to get the sound back on my HD channels via the V+ set-up menu.

I'll ask around at work to try and find someone willing to come round and sort it all out.

Thanks for your help and the link Chris Frost.