Options

Grand Designs new series.....

Comments

• Options
    halfbiscuithalfbiscuit Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I'm bored of all these middle class bores with their phony eco concerns. They should just repeat the Ben Law episode every week.
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely worktop that. Just imagine all the bacteria and assorted dirt it will gather over time.

I'd be annoyed if a resurfaced road turned out like that.

And as for the wind turbine why not stick with the original one. Changing your mind and spending a fortune on an unproven technology is crazy.

The aluminium roof pretty much made it look like an incinerator.
  • Options
    matchmakermatchmaker Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kegsie wrote: »
    Lovely worktop that. Just imagine all the bacteria and assorted dirt it will gather over time.

i used to work as a labourer on a pier construction project. I was on the gang that poured and finished pre-cast concrete beams.

If I'd produced a beam ( which was eventually going to be buried under several tonnes of concrete) with a finish like that worktop, I'd have had my arse booted hard!
  • Options
    DeeLushDeeLush Posts: 2,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm bored of all these middle class bores with their phony eco concerns. They should just repeat the Ben Law episode every week.

Agreed, its actually making me switch off im so sick of pretencious middle class eco warriors with their homes in caverns/underground/on a windy hillshide ffs... grand designs is supposed to be about the DESIGN not the environment.. its pushing this agenda far far too much in my opinion.
  • Options
    dooglemiredooglemire Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    DeeLush wrote: »
    Agreed, its actually making me switch off im so sick of pretencious middle class eco warriors with their homes in caverns/underground/on a windy hillshide ffs... grand designs is supposed to be about the DESIGN not the environment.. its pushing this agenda far far too much in my opinion.

Indeed there was nothing particulary Grand about that house
  • Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member

Wel said..there is a hidden agenda here..or not so hidden as it turns out

Can we get back to normal families building lovely homes please?

having watched every episode previously i am finding GD a complete turn off right now...
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unfortunately Architecture is obsessed with green issues now. A practice may as well declare itself bankrupt if its website and marketing material doesn't shout from the (sedum planted) rooftops about how "sustainable" everything is.
    Building Regs is now fully focussed on energy saving, however while paying less money for fuel itself is no bad thing, the whole thing is wrapped up in the unproven theory of man-made global warming. No one dare speak out against MMGW for fear of being branded some sort of new-age heretic.
    I noticed a few years ago, a certain global steel and aluminium cladding company's website had changed to feature large pictures of rainforests instead of pictures of new factories, and they were now touting themselves as the saviours of the environment. This is a company that makes panels of chemically formed and bonded insulation clad in chemically coated steel, or aluminium. Hardly haybales and horsehair wattle and daub now is it?
    Even concrete producers are now saying how "green" concrete is, compared to steel.
    When Middlesbrough College was built (nearby) they had a "sustainability consultant" on site the whole time who measured the carbon footprint of everything that happened on site. Didn't reduce it, just measured it, for thousands of pounds of fees.

Its political correctness.....gone mad (Stewart Lee)
  • Options
    EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure their teenage daughters really love the fact that the parents can see straight into their bedrooms... :o

I thought the house was horrid, especially from the back. And the wife looked pretty miserable with it.

It seemed way too similar to other houses this series as well to be honest. Totally sick of all these concrete 'eco' industrial glass boxes to be honest, though I still love the show. :cool:
  • Options
    snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not my style either. If they're looking for a name how about Cell Block E (The E is for environmental).

Something I noticed very early was the array of south facing bedrooms and a corridor at the back. That's the wrong way around. South facing bedrooms with giant windows will soon overheat in the summer and the sun will wake you up. Far better the other way.

A skim of plaster and some paint would improve it immensely.

Also did you notice it cost £500k in total plus masses of work. Very expensive construction.
  • Options
    jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im glad im not the only one that hates these eco houses!! BORING!! bring back the barns and grand hill side homes!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    The desgins in this series aren't very grand are they? It looks like the producers decided that in these recession-hit tree-hugging times we want to see what it's like to live in a series of concrete bunkers. Sadly they haven't learnt from the past. What we want is an escape from these recession-hit times with grandiose and hugely expensive projects which we can deride/admire as required.
  • Options
    halfbiscuithalfbiscuit Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    There was an old woman who lived in a shoe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Unfortunately Architecture is obsessed with green issues now. A practice may as well declare itself bankrupt if its website and marketing material doesn't shout from the (sedum planted) rooftops about how "sustainable" everything is.
    Building Regs is now fully focussed on energy saving, however while paying less money for fuel itself is no bad thing, the whole thing is wrapped up in the unproven theory of man-made global warming. No one dare speak out against MMGW for fear of being branded some sort of new-age heretic.
    I noticed a few years ago, a certain global steel and aluminium cladding company's website had changed to feature large pictures of rainforests instead of pictures of new factories, and they were now touting themselves as the saviours of the environment. This is a company that makes panels of chemically formed and bonded insulation clad in chemically coated steel, or aluminium. Hardly haybales and horsehair wattle and daub now is it?
    Even concrete producers are now saying how "green" concrete is, compared to steel.
    When Middlesbrough College was built (nearby) they had a "sustainability consultant" on site the whole time who measured the carbon footprint of everything that happened on site. Didn't reduce it, just measured it, for thousands of pounds of fees.

Its political correctness.....gone mad (Stewart Lee)

I totally agree... its all about being "seen" to do the right thing, even if the right thing turns out to be wrong.

but this programme was supposed to be a celebration of architecture meeting real life.. how buildings effect/affect us and how we can build our dream environment...

but now every single bloody episode is boring the living pants off of me...im going to start switching off...i wonder if anyone knows if the viewing figures are backing up the opinion we all seem to agree on...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    williamh wrote: »
    The desgins in this series aren't very grand are they? It looks like the producers decided that in these recession-hit tree-hugging times we want to see what it's like to live in a series of concrete bunkers. Sadly they haven't learnt from the past. What we want is an escape from these recession-hit times with grandiose and hugely expensive projects which we can deride/admire as required.

I swear to god, this series must be being sponsered by "BunkersrUs"
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I swear to god, this series must be being sponsered by "BunkersrUs"

But at least they are all eco-bunkers.

This is the first house that I've found nothing that I like in it. Usually, even with houses that I've not liked, there have been elements that I thought "Yeah, I like that bit." But not with this house. I hated it's internal finish, it's pokey rooms (even the 'large' living room), the kitchen worktop, the stupid low roof, the shiny roof that the neighbours will love when the sun hits it and blinds anyone looking at it.

Prontopro, they said they couldn't plaster the walls as that would not allow the heat to radiate out. How true that is, I don't know. I still find it dificult to believe that a house can be heated throughout the year, just by the sun warming up the walls.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Give me my lovely warm toasty 4 bed semi anyday above that load of old twaddle. and I have a lovely smooth worktop :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SXTony wrote: »
    I still find it dificult to believe that a house can be heated throughout the year, just by the sun warming up the walls.

Yes I'd like to know this as well. Because yes its sunny for about 4 days of the year and those bricks will release that heat over time but by mid winter they'll be no heat left to disperse. It's not like the bricks have a timer on them for dispersing heat.

That mini test they did with the blow torch, he said gosh thats so hot to touch. Not sure I'd want a wall I couldn;t touch. And the walls on the inside of the house, how do they get the sunlight to heat them up? Or have I missed something, is it human heat that warms them up as well. Do they need to start hugging the walls?
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    I'm all for a more ecological home but its getting a bit dull.

For all my Grand Designs cravings I turn to this site now and its homes : http://freshome.com/

Grand Designs needs to go International and avoid the UK Planning heads. http://freshome.com/2010/10/11/ultra-contemporary-home-overlooking-the-city-of-linz/
  • Options
    jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an old woman who lived in a shoe

id love to see an episode where an old woman built a house in the shape of a shoe :p as long as it was grand!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But at least they are all eco-bunkers.

This is the first house that I've found nothing that I like in it. Usually, even with houses that I've not liked, there have been elements that I thought "Yeah, I like that bit." But not with this house. I hated it's internal finish, it's pokey rooms (even the 'large' living room), the kitchen worktop, the stupid low roof, the shiny roof that the neighbours will love when the sun hits it and blinds anyone looking at it.

Prontopro, they said they couldn't plaster the walls as that would not allow the heat to radiate out. How true that is, I don't know. I still find it dificult to believe that a house can be heated throughout the year, just by the sun warming up the walls.

Yes I didnt get how letting a peice of butter melt on it made it warm in winter.. so if we have a really wet windy cold winter.. how can those bricks have retained heat for weeks, nay months to support the warmth in this house?:confused:..and as someone else pointed out what about the bricks (interior) that saw no sunlight whatsoever??

It was indulgent and preposterous, not a family home at all, Im pretty sure those young ladies will be moving out asap into halls of residence as soon as uni hits...even they will be more welcoming.
  • Options
    dooglemiredooglemire Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    well the house on the show on the 27th is another eco house, its in the local paper about it
    sigh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    dooglemire wrote: »
    well the house on the show on the 27th is another eco house, its in the local paper about it
    sigh.

not another one :mad: suppose it cant be any worse than this weeks monstrosity.Hideous place,the guy was too far up his own backside to admit he'd blown half a million on something which looked like a detention centre,but his wife wasnt too convincing at the end when she said she loved it!
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I didnt get how letting a peice of butter melt on it made it warm in winter.. so if we have a really wet windy cold winter.. how can those bricks have retained heat for weeks, nay months to support the warmth in this house?:confused:..and as someone else pointed out what about the bricks (interior) that saw no sunlight whatsoever??

Perhaps they have to go over them once a week with a blow torch :)
    It was indulgent and preposterous, not a family home at all, Im pretty sure those young ladies will be moving out asap into halls of residence as soon as uni hits...even they will be more welcoming.

Didn't both the adults have 2 kids each, yet they only made 3 bedrooms? Perhaps the 4th saw the plans and thought "Stuff that"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they have to go over them once a week with a blow torch :)

Didn't both the adults have 2 kids each, yet they only made 3 bedrooms? Perhaps the 4th saw the plans and thought "Stuff that"

IM leaving home.. "are you rebelling?!" - no i just want a home with wallpaper and carpet.. enr er heating.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also thought this but there was a bedroom in the back corridor I thought. I notice they didn't show much of the children's bedrooms maybe they showed all they could but I blinked?

Hmmm I always wonder what happens after a couple of yeasr, boredom?