Options

Being in the dark - literally

IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
Forum Member
✭✭
Since I was a teenager I've enjoyed sitting in the dark, not as in not knowing things but literally in the dark, like at home when I draw my curtains and not switch any lights on.

I remember at work once, someone wanting in to get something after I'd locked up, so I went in to retrieve it and they said something like 'you must be comfortable in the dark(!)' because I hadn't switched the lights back on but I could see my way well enough, I hadn't thought anything of it.

I think I feel at ease in the dark because I don't feel so self conscious? it doesn't make alot of sense but I guess its something to do with it. I used to try and write in the dark too, I think I feel there's less distractions and I can get on with things better when there's less light.

I thought that was one of my quirks but are others the same?.

Comments

• Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes I can't be bothered to switch the lights on.

You can tell when those times are cos my typing is crap.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My eldest daughter loves the dark, she finds it relaxing and I am embarrassed to admit that I am petrified of the dark.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I am absolutely terrified of the dark.

I sleep with a lamp and tv on. I have intermittent stages of bravery, but I can't relax or find peace of mind in the dark.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am absolutely terrified of the dark.

I sleep with a lamp and tv on. I have intermittent stages of bravery, but I can't relax or find peace of mind in the dark.

You keep the TV on all night? with the sound muted? that would definitely keep me up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I prefer a bit of light, as soon as it starts getting a little dim outside, the lights will go on. I don't like watching films in the dark.
    The growing dark does actually make me feel a little bit low in mood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good egg wrote: »
    I prefer a bit of light, as soon as it starts getting a little dim outside, the lights will go on. I don't like watching films in the dark.
    The growing dark does actually make me feel a little bit low in mood.

I find it difficult to watch some movies without it being dark(ish). The sun can create glare and reflections on the TV screen.

I remember this was quite an issue when I was younger, as there were alot of family movies in the 1980s that were quite dimly lit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I find it difficult to watch some movies without it being dark(ish). The sun can create glare and reflections on the TV screen.

I remember this was quite an issue when I was younger, as there were alot of family movies in the 1980s that were quite dimly lit.

No, that would make me glum :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I quite like the dark but have a dimmer switch in most rooms so its not overly bright. I prefer natural light and I'm sure the lights at work contribute to my headaches so I'm quite happy to have as a few as possible on when there.

My son on the other hand puts the light on out of what can only be habit - first thing in the morning when it's bright sunshine and there's absolutely no need.

If I wake in the night and go to get a drink I never put the light on, I quite like wandering around the house in the dark especially as my son's Lego days are over and I won't stand on a piece by accident.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    You keep the TV on all night? with the sound muted? that would definitely keep me up.

I can't sleep without a TV or radio on.. I have literally been awake until 3/4am lying in bed and not been able to get asleep, turned the TV on and got straight off.. Obviously it's more a state of mind than a physical thing but I think I tend to over think things if I don't have something to distract me

I love being in the dark too, if i need to make a difficult decision I will go and sit in my bathroom with the lights off and just think, it's very calming I find
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Amazing how quickly we have become dependent on being in lighted rooms most of the time. Up to a few generations ago darkness would have been the norm after dusk.

My own grandmother never turned an electric light on in her whole life. Even when they got electric light a few years before she died she would sit in the dark if my grandfather was not home to turn it on.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Sometimes I can't be bothered to switch the lights on.

You can tell when those times are cos my typing is crap.

Eh...........

*runs*
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like it, although I used to sit in the dark before as I never had a lamp in my bedroom and hate sitting with the big light on at night (or ever, really).

It hurts my eyes looking at a screen/computer/TV with no other lights on now though. So now I have a lamp.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind the dark but I don't have any particular fascination of it. I don't switch room lights on unless I actually need them.
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fear of the dark....fear of the DAAAAAAARK I have a phobia that someones always there!!!

..If you don't know what song those lyrics are from you shouldn't have been born.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I don't mind the dark but I don't have any particular fascination of it. I don't switch room lights on unless I actually need them.

It's the first thing I do, I can't think straight until I have found a light switch. I always get that creepy feeling of being watched by loads of pairs of eyes, that I'm not alone. The house, the room instantly feels different once the light is on. Sounds so silly.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a kiddie, the door of my bedroom was left ajar at night with the landing light on - but then my mother made me a homosexual.

I can take or leave it. The other half always watches TV in the lounge at night in pitch dark - the first thing I do when I walk in is turn on the dimmer switch a little.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you turn the lights off at home it's never really pitch black. You can always make some shapes out in the gloom.

I remember when they turned all the lights out when we were in one of the caves at Cheddar Gorge. That was total blackness and a little unnerving.
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often close my curtains and watch TV in the dark, simply so I can see it better.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    I remember when they turned all the lights out when we were in one of the caves at Cheddar Gorge. That was total blackness and a little unnerving.

Yep. There was a power cut when we were in a salt mine in Poland. I nearly cacked myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    When I was a kiddie, the door of my bedroom was left ajar at night with the landing light on - but then my mother made me a homosexual.

I can take or leave it. The other half always watches TV in the lounge at night in pitch dark - the first thing I do when I walk in is turn on the dimmer switch a little.

I used to do that too, have the door left ajar. Nowadays I wouldn't do that incase the dog came upstairs and nudged it fully open - that would wake me up in the middle of the night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't sleep without a TV or radio on.. I have literally been awake until 3/4am lying in bed and not been able to get asleep, turned the TV on and got straight off.. Obviously it's more a state of mind than a physical thing but I think I tend to over think things if I don't have something to distract me

I love being in the dark too, if i need to make a difficult decision I will go and sit in my bathroom with the lights off and just think, it's very calming I find

I have that issue when im abroad or staying somewhere else sometimes. It can be hard to drift off to sleep properly without some sort of, I suppose recognisable noise or something your used to hearing. As a child, I found it almost impossible to get to sleep with no noise in the background and if it was something unfamiliar then that would scare me, I could imagine it would be some monster or whatever out there and stay awake because of that - ah, kids(!) :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    When you turn the lights off at home it's never really pitch black. You can always make some shapes out in the gloom.

I remember when they turned all the lights out when we were in one of the caves at Cheddar Gorge. That was total blackness and a little unnerving.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes have been out to a pub in the middle of nowhere, on the outskirts of Canterbury. It sits on it's own and coming out of there, not being able to see one foot in front of the other, or your hand in front of your face makes me feel, I think, a bit claustraphobic. It's so disorientating.
    In a dark cave? Was that Wookie Hole? I would be ok for a minute or two, but silently desperate for them to get those lights back on.