Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lyn2 wrote: »
    Okay I'm probably having a thick moment - Fed retweeted that Stan was the MVP this weekend.
    MVP?

It's a ghastly American term. Most Valuable Player I think.
  • Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Carlin:"Many famous people show one side of themselves in public,and then the real one appears,with Nadal is not like that".

via tenisnadal.com

Translated by Ericka Domenzáin for Vamos Rafael Nadal page.

The British writer besides journalist John Carlin, author of "Rafa, my story" again admitted in an interview with Diario de Noticias de Alava his deep admiration for the figure of Rafa Nadal and all values that he is representingwell deserved, mainly his "coherence" between the public and private side, facet that differentiate him from the most majority of celebrities.

Carlin wanted to point out the values represented by the Mallorcan tennis player(honesty, effort, ...) which are precisely the qualities that "are absent" in the political class in Spain and maybe these are the reasons why Rafa is loved so easily by the general public.

"What I love about him is his consistency between the public and private Rafa.Rafa in any context, either by dealing with the hostesses on a plane, with the waiter in the restaurant ... he is always very attentive and respectful with people and there lies his greatness. I think there are many celebrities who have two personalities, one when they are acting in public and quite another where the egotistical individual, tyrant or bastard appears. and Nadal is a very good person. "

"[Rafa] is a national idol for all and there are few people who do not sympathize with him, either here or in Andalucia. And this is not casual because Nadal represents certain values that are absent in the Spanish political class. Effort, overcoming , honesty, leadership ... Unfortunately values that are absent from the political class in this country. " :)

http://www.tenisnadal.com/john-carlin-famosos-publico-muestran-cara-luego-aparece-otra-nadal-asi.html#.VHS5jsm4ZEN
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for posting that deedee1962, very interesting.

I do wish Rafa wasn't so obsessed with poker though. He should save that habit for his retirement years.
  • Options
    amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So his author had good things to say about him! Shock horror!

I think it's better when impartial people or your peers have good to say about you, you can't set much store over someone who literally earns money off his back. Of course an author of his book will say he's honest, if he said he was a lar the book would be worthless no?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    So his author had good things to say about him! Shock horror!

I think it's better when impartial people or your peers have good to say about you, you can't set much store over someone who literally earns money off his back. Of course an author of his book will say he's honest, if he said he was a lar the book would be worthless no?

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Love-between-Roger-Federer-and-Rafael-Nadal-on-a-rise-once-again-articolo18610.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that deedee1962, very interesting.

I do wish Rafa wasn't so obsessed with poker though. He should save that habit for his retirement years.

I don't like it much either but the things he has done so far were all for charity, I think he won quite a bit the other day that is all going to help kids. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    deedee1962 wrote: »

Roger has recently said again that the player he most likes to play is Rafa because he offers the biggest challenge - and that in spite of his many losses to him.

I'm puzzled by the bit about Roger not wanting higher pay for lower ranked players though. In his tenure as president of the players' association he fought very hard for that according to just about everything else I've read. Maybe they just mean he didn't want to go on strike over it and this is just a poor translation. The only dispute I've read about is over shortening the tour which Roger wasn't in favour of, when Rafa apparently said it's all right for him, he's very athletic, but it's not fair on the rest of us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rita1 wrote: »
    Roger has recently said again that the player he most likes to play is Rafa because he offers the biggest challenge - and that in spite of his many losses to him.

I'm puzzled by the bit about Roger not wanting higher pay for lower ranked players though. In his tenure as president of the players' association he fought very hard for that according to just about everything else I've read. Maybe they just mean he didn't want to go on strike over it and this is just a poor translation. The only dispute I've read about is over shortening the tour which Roger wasn't in favour of, when Rafa apparently said it's all right for him, he's very athletic, but it's not fair on the rest of us.

I love Rafa and Roger together, always looks like they really like each other to me and I love the giggling Video on youtube when they were promoting their charity match.
  • Options
    CMK29CMK29 Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Breaking news - Jez and Dani have left Andy's team....
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CMK29 wrote: »

Excuse my ignorance, but who is Jez and what was his role?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Dani Vallverdu? Wow that is a surprise. They've been together since they were teens. I thought they were inseparable like brothers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but who is Jez and what was his role?

Jez is his fitness coach. The bald guy. I guess they weren't happy with his decision to stay with Amelie.
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uh oh.....
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jez is his fitness coach. The bald guy. I guess they weren't happy with his decision to stay with Amelie.

Oh right. Yes, I've seen him with Dani. Thanks for that.

I am really surprised about Dani - I always heard how close he and Andy are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Oh right. Yes, I've seen him with Dani. Thanks for that.

I am really surprised about Dani - I always heard how close he and Andy are.

I think the writing was on the wall for a while. He's was missing from a lot of Andys matches.
  • Options
    CMK29CMK29 Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Can't keep up with the news from the Murray camp today - congratulations to Andy and Kim on their engagement!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't keep up with the news from the Murray camp today - congratulations to Andy and Kim on their engagement!

Wow. Congrats. Lot's of changes in Andys life all of a sudden. :D
  • Options
    Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member

At least that's better news from today! Congrats to Andy and Kim. :)
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats Andy & Kim! :)
  • Options
    amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats to Andy and Kim, loads of news coming from his camp yesterday.

Jez and Dani leaving will obviously dent his team. It may be for the better if there was a bad atmosphere there, but no doubt they will be missed from how much they contributed.

I always remember Ivan saying how much of a contribution Dani had to the team and he would consult with him before they would both talk to Andy. If someone got Ivan's respect they must do a good job. They seemed so close, Jez helped him so much to get fit again after surgery.
    It's a shame it had to end in this way, I do understand their point though, they were told about Amelie's appointment when we all were, so I suppose they felt undervalued in a way.
  • Options
    chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Lets go DBS Singapore Slammers!!!!

Lleyton Hewitt - c-monnnnnn
    Serena Williams - great but meh
    Daniella Hancha - always liked her
    Andre Agassi - love him
    Patric Rafter- also loved him
    Tomas Bedrych - not a huge fan
    Bruno Soares - don't know much about him
    Nick Kyrgios - maybe the future

not a bad team...
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    I don't know what that is for, but ok then....

:D

Anyway, kinda surprised to see Amelie has remained as his head coach. On the flip side though, I think maybe we're being a little bit harsh on her. I mean, she's hardly been given enough time to actually make an impact yet has she. Also, she's got some very, very big shoes to fill. But I dunno, I'm not sure if she's the right fit. I think the reason why Andy & Ivan worked so well is because their personalities were so similar. Doubt that is the case with Andy & Amelie. We shall see I guess.
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Kyrgios getting subbed in for Soares.

Kyrgios:"I feel sick"
    Hewitt: "Just serve big"

He goes on to serve 4 absolute bombs, Hewitt's grin as they came back for the changeover was great.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    I like this International Premier League thing. I hope it catches on

They should all be wearing team kits though.
This discussion has been closed.