Options

Who should be in The Hobbit?

Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
Forum Member
✭✭
MGM boss Harry Sloan recently confirmed the studio was in serious negotiations with both Peter Jackson and New Line to get The Hobbit project off the ground. Assuming the legal wranglings with New Line aren't too lenghty, the first (of two) film could be with us in 4 to 5 years (assuming Jackson has really given up on Halo for the time being).

So, who would we like to see in the major roles? The only members of the original LotR cast who's characters are in The Hobbit (from memory) are Sir Ian Holm, Sir Ian McKellen, Andy Sirkis and Hugo Weaving. Ian Holm is presumably too old now to play a younger Bilbo. A number of the Fellowship actors have expressed a desire to return to 'Middle Earth' but would you want to see other former LotR actors playng different roles in The Hobbit? John Rhys-Davies could play a different Dwarf, perhapd Thorin, but would he want to go through the make-up again? Lets have your ideas.

Comments

• Options
    ermintudeermintude Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tom cruise, that would save a few bob on the cgi.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read an interview with Peter Jackson on aintitcool.com about a month ago.He claimed it was the first he'd heard about being involved in making the Hobbit.He said he'd like to do it but there's a lot of projects he's involved in at the moment.When asked about casting for any potential Hobbit movie(or movies) he said he'd like as many as the Rings actors to appear as was possible.He even mentioned Christopher Lee but the interviewer pointed out that any Saruman scenes would have to be filmed very soon due to CL's being in his 80's.
    I think PJ could get away with having Ian Holm and Serena Mckellan as Bilbo and Gandalf again.The only thing stopping him would be pressure from the studio to have a younger cast.If so-why not Elijah Wood slightly made up slightly differently as the younger Bilbo.Maybe Jason Isaacs(Lucius Malfoy from the Harry Potter movies) as Gandalf the Grey.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ian McKellen HAS to be Gandalf, so PJ needs to make this film soon :)

David Bowie for King of Mirkwood. I still wish he'd accepted Elrond.

The rest of the cast can wander past in the background - I mean Legolas and Mirkwood is obvious. I do think Bilbo needs to be recast - I'm not sure who it should be, but I think the other hobbit actors are too distinctive as those hobbits, if that makes sense.

Didn't JRD say he would never be a dwarf again because of the make-up?
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep Ian McKellen as Gandalf is the only necessity for me. They can even change the director, at least we might then get better characterisation,and the film mght be more Tolkienesque with less of the Big Hollywood Picture feel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remeber an interview with McKellen about some other filem, may have been X-Men 3, but he was aksed about Ganfalf / The Hobbit. His answer basically was that it was his role and he'd not let anyone play the role unless ofcourse he was dead.

Brian Blessed as one of the dwarfs...? Maybe not.

For me the most interesting peice of casting would be the voice for Smaug. Alan Rickman perhaps?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me the most interesting peice of casting would be the voice for Smaug. Alan Rickman perhaps?

YES.

Genius.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assa2 wrote:

That would be good casting!
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my view there is only ONE person that can play Thorin Oakenshield and that is Brian Cox (he's been in countless films and TV shows like Troy, The Bourne Identity, X-Men but maybe he'll always be remembered for playing Hannibal Lecter in Manhunter). They might want to cast an unknown as Bilbo, but they certainly need someone who can do a similar performance to Ian Holm's. It would have been good if John Rhys-Davies could have played the dwarf Gloin (who's Gimli's father) but considering how painful the Dwarf makeup was for him I doubt he'd do it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote:

Maybe, but I think the dragon should have a deeper voice, to be honest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed this on DS's headlines page:

Jackson not wanted for The Hobbit

TBH, I'm not sure I'd want to see a version directed by anyone else. I was so nervous about going to see LOTR as it's always been my favourite book, and Peter Jackson and his team did such a stunning job, that I don't think another director could match his achievement. The whole look and feel of the film would be different, which would be a terrible shame.
  • Options
    johna999johna999 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't help but feel this is Jackson playing the game. I think New Line are calling his bluff. There's probabaly a deal ont he table over the accounting issue, and new line are trying to get PJ to accept it. But PJ by releasing the statement on the most popular fansite is trying tog et fan power behind him.

I can't imagine they'd sort it out. In anycase I'm sure MGM who own the distribution rights would put pressure o new line.

Hobbitt without PJ just wouldn't be the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    The guy who played Gimli (can't think of the name) could be the voice of Smaug.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johna999 wrote:
    Can't help but feel this is Jackson playing the game. I think New Line are calling his bluff. There's probabaly a deal ont he table over the accounting issue, and new line are trying to get PJ to accept it. But PJ by releasing the statement on the most popular fansite is trying tog et fan power behind him.

I can't imagine they'd sort it out. In anycase I'm sure MGM who own the distribution rights would put pressure o new line.

Hobbitt without PJ just wouldn't be the same.

Fingers crossed that you're right, johna999!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just read the same article. It does all sound to me like a game of financial brinksmanship between New Line and PJ. PJ knows New Line have only a short while to make the film before thier rights to make the film expire, and that it's financial success will take a hit if PJ is not on board. Equally New Line knows that PJ would hate to see The Hobbit (and the 'LotR prequel) be made by someone else, both out of an artistic sense of ownership and as a financial transaction. I don't know the sums being quibbled over between New Line and PJ, but I would have thought they would be quite insignificant compared with the potential value of 2 new films (well over another $billion gross). Maybe PJ is hoping New Line's deal will expire so he can option it himself. I think he loked into it originally when he was developing LotR but found out about the problems with the spilt rights so gave it a miss. He probably regrets that now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget, a lot of people were against anyone other that George Lucas directing the sequel to SW. For me ESB is the best film out of all 6, and I was appaleed back in 98 when GL decided to direct all three prequels. OK, he still had full contrl over ESB and ROTJ, but it just shows that taking a great product and adding something new does not alwasy ruin it.

The Hobbit is a totally different book to LotR. For one thing The Hobbit was conceived as a children's book. While I'm sure PJ is able to adapt his style, seeing The Hobbit depicted in the same manner as LotR I think would be to the detriment of the story. The problem may be finding someone prepared to take over where PJ left off. The only name I can think of right now is Chris Columbus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, but I think the dragon should have a deeper voice, to be honest.

It may be that Tolkien described Smaug as having a deep voice. I don't know? But why must all evil characters have deep voices? I blame James Earl Jones myself!

Brian Cox would be an exellent bit of casting.

Bilbo is a much more difficult one to picture. It needs someone in their 'middle years' with a slightly 'cuddly' physic (nice way of saying chubby). I'm going to hate myself for suggesting it, because I really am not a fan, but the only actor I can think of at the moment is Ricky Jervais (excuse me while I go and wash my hands for ten minutes).
  • Options
    MsJoaquinMsJoaquin Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assa2 wrote:
    It may be that Tolkien described Smaug as having a deep voice. I don't know? But why must all evil characters have deep voices? I blame James Earl Jones myself!

LOL it makes sense though can't really picture most villians with soft voices, deep voices makes more of an impact and you have to admit without JEJ's voice Vader is just not as good a villian
  • Options
    johna999johna999 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New Line have the rights to make the movie but MGM the rights to distribute. I can see MGM refusing to distribute unless PJ is on board as they will want to make as much cash as possible. New Line wont make it if MGM wont distribute therefore it comes back to needing to get PJ on board. No idea the sums involved in the court case but I'm sure if they agreed to have an independent arbitrure (as requested by PJ) problem would be solved. Still think (hope I'm not tempting fate) PJ will be on board soon
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    I read Jackson wrote a letter/e-mail to the one of his official sites saying he will not be directing The Hobbit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I hope PJ does direct The Hobbit. The LOTR films were just amazing and it'd be hard for another directer to create something similar which it would have to be.

But no matter who directs it Sir Ian McKellen just HAS to be Gandalf. No one else should ever play that part.

Not sure about Bilbo, wish Sir Ian Holm could do it but he probably couldn't since it's a younger Bilbo. Whoever does do it should be able to do an Ian Holm performance though.

I don't think they should have any LOTR actors in Hobbit roles too. It'd be okay if they were in a few scenes or something but I don't think they should be one of the dwarves or anything.

Not sure about Smaug..hmmm....Alan Rickman does sound quite good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Incredibly miffed about the news concerning the absence of Peter Jackson/Wingnut films, but as long as they keep Ian McKellen as Gandalf, ill be happy. He just is Gandalf, and his performance in the LOTR trilogy was amazing. Any actor would be lesser, and I think Sir Ian was really comfortable with Gandalf and it seems Gandalf was comfortable with him!

Just hoping another director/producer/writer has the stomach to take some risks and think outside the box like PJ did. For example when he saw the visual effects departments idea of the Pellenor ROTK battle, he said 'Good, but we could add some...', which of course left the team like ':eek:' but he just really pushed his team for amazing results and to go beyond what theyd be expected to. I think we can agree that it worked.

Personally I'd love Brian Blessed to be one of the dwarves. I can just imagine him in armour with a mace shouting 'FOR BALIN'. Though of course most of Brian Blessed's roles involve him wearing armour and shouting I suppose.

As far as Smaug's voice is concerned: if PJ was running this show then it would be a fair bet we would have Andy Serkis doing a voice as he did for a lot of the monsters (Most notably Gollum, Witch King, Lurtz too?). Im not decided on who should voice Smaug. Someone scary though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope PJ does direct The Hobbit. The LOTR films were just amazing and it'd be hard for another directer to create something similar which it would have to be.

Excerpts from Empire/One Ring.net.

"The ongoing saga of the LOTR prequel took a massive swing into leftfield today, as it emerged that New Line – current owners of the rights to The Hobbit – have informed Peter Jackson and Wingnut Films that their services will not be needed “on the Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel'”. In a letter to LOTR fansite TheOneRing.net, Jackson and co-writer Fran Walsh confirmed that due to an ongoing financial dispute over The Fellowship Of The Ring, New Line were now “actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects”."

Jackson said:

"This outcome is not what we anticipated or wanted. We now have no choice but to let the idea of a film of The Hobbit go and move forward with other projects. (...) We got to go there.. but sadly not back again."

Bugger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    Histeria wrote:

"The ongoing saga of the LOTR prequel took a massive swing into leftfield today, as it emerged that New Line – current owners of the rights to The Hobbit – have informed Peter Jackson and Wingnut Films that their services will not be needed “on the Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel'”. In a letter to LOTR fansite TheOneRing.net, Jackson and co-writer Fran Walsh confirmed that due to an ongoing financial dispute over The Fellowship Of The Ring, New Line were now “actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects”."

Jackson said:

"This outcome is not what we anticipated or wanted. We now have no choice but to let the idea of a film of The Hobbit go and move forward with other projects. (...) We got to go there.. but sadly not back again."

Bugger.

Aww that really sucks. I'll just have to pray that whoever is chosen can do it justice.
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww that really sucks. I'll just have to pray that whoever is chosen can do it justice.

that's the key,i honestly couldnt see these two films being half as good without PJ and everybody at wingnut films/weta involved,as as much as the hobbit and LOTR is tolkien's story,LOTR looked the way it did down to all the people who worked on the film(including PJ),so imho any other director and effects house doing these two films would result in a very similar but different recreation of middle earth
  • Options
    iamthenewnumbertwoiamthenewnumbertwo Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Histeria wrote:

"on the Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel'"

OK can someone answer me this, what is the LOTR prequel going to cover, the Silmarillion, the Unfinished Tales, both of which would need more than one film or is it to be an "Ewok" type of mess covering the comings and goings of Hobbiton?