Options

CD Wow!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 509
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm thinking of ordering some cheap Region 1 DVDs from CD Wow.

Has anyone had any experience with them? I'm just wondering if there may be a customs change somewhere?

Comments

• Options
    damo237damo237 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Tahir2k wrote:
    I'm thinking of ordering some cheap Region 1 DVDs from CD Wow.

Has anyone had any experience with them? I'm just wondering if there may be a customs change somewhere?

I recently purchased An evening with Kevin Smith and Clerks X and received one disc 2 days later i should get the other tomorrow this is a turn around of about 5 days.
    So from my experience they are great,and i would recommend them.
    I paid in Sterling and the same amount was taken from my account no problems.
  • Options
    GoldilocksGoldilocks Posts: 7,349
    Forum Member
    Living in fab expensive Ireland I've only bought my CDs and DVDs from them for the last year or so. The difference in price is amazing. A cd that costs approx €30.00 in the shops you can get for €12.00 when you buy from them. Also if you are ordering more than one disc don't take the option to have them packed together cause if you do you have to pay a delivery charge but if lets say you are ordering 5 and get them packed individually they can be posted through your letter box no problem so you don't have to pay the extra. I think this is because the post offices can handle small packages like this but if they are bigger then CD WOW have to use courier companies and that pushes the cost up. Also if you get the wrong product or your happens to be damaged (rarely happens) and you send it back it is replaced FOC. In a nutshell go with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds good.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I've been buying from CD-WOW for years without hitch - originally for CDs but more recently DVDs as well. I think the key is the HM Customs threshold since they ship v cheaply from abroad - basically if they despatch disks individually then by declared value they are below the line for Customs Duty. If you opt for multiple disks in a package then charges will apply. MX-2 do something very similar with Photographic Film and things like PC printer cartridges. My photo printer takes 6 different cartridges - at first I was surprised that a full set of replacements came in 3 separate envelopes (same day's post) - then I came to realise why.
  • Options
    jackwilkinson87jackwilkinson87 Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Using this link gives you 1.50 off any dvds and 50p off any cds

money off link
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to add my two penneth worth - I've used cd-wow for years and never had any problems whatsoever, top class company!

Have recently also joined their online dvd rental club and its been superb so far. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This company is great, I use them all the time. The only prob I have had it being out of stock so waiting a little longer, but for me that is no prob. Its always nice to get packages from hong kong.

Use this company, theyre fab.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love CD-WoW and also love Play.com, both cheap and always on time :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 394
    Forum Member
    As above, I can fully recommend CDWow.

I've used them since they first started without any problems. A few items have disappeared in the post over the years, but after a quick phone call to their Customer Services I've had replacements sent out without any questions asked.

Custom charges start on items above £18 (or is it £17?). It can be luck as to whether your item gets stopped or not. If they do the charges can add 50% to your order if it was just above the £18 mark.
  • Options
    bvmjainbvmjain Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Cd-wow became customs friendly a short while ago.
    All their dvds now have duty paid, so customs charges on purchases over £18.00 are no longer an issue.

If the OP is thinking of using Cd-wow to buy region one dvds, they should first check out the Canadian company www.dvdsoon.com, and also www.dvdpacific.com.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bvmjain wrote:
    Cd-wow became customs friendly a short while ago.
    All their dvds now have duty paid, so customs charges on purchases over £18.00 are no longer an issue.

Ooooh! Can I have a source for this info - not that I don't believe you, but I want to be sure before I go 'Region 1' crazy ;)
  • Options
    bencraddock1bencraddock1 Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    Using this link gives you 1.50 off any dvds and 50p off any cds

money off link

Hang on, Mods, I think this could be a scam.
    it says www8.cd-wow.com
    it could quite possibly be a scam to get ure bank details.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang on, Mods, I think this could be a scam.
    it says www8.cd-wow.com
    it could quite possibly be a scam to get ure bank details.

its no scam, goto www.cd-wow.co.uk and watch there link turn into a www(number here).cd-wow.co.uk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    i too have used cd-wow! with no problems at all very quick delivery
  • Options
    bvmjainbvmjain Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    damndirtyape, previously when clicking on dvds over £18.00 in value on CD-wow's site, a pop-up box would appear with a warning about possible customs charges.

A few weeks ago, this pop-up warning stopped appearing, and many people emailed Cd-wow to clarify the issue.

Cd-wow responded by saying that the dvds were now duty paid, and customs was no longer an issue. (This is also why prices rose on their site for region one dvds - a current example - Eddie Murphy -Raw is £8.99 on cd-wow, whereas it is approximately £6.00 from Dvdsoon.)

You can email cd-wow direct from their website, if you wish to have your own personal confirmation.
    There are also threads on this topic on other website forums, but it is probably pointless posting URLS, as you are probably not a member of those websites, and won't be able to view the threads without the tedium of registering etc.

A good site to bookmark is www.happyhunter.com.
    This will give you a good idea of the cheapest seller of a dvd that you are after. They are not affiliated with cd-wow or www.deepdiscountdvd.com, so you will have to do a separate search on those websites to ensure that you are paying the lowest possible price for a dvd that you are after.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.playusa.com the R1 version of play.com
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bvmjain wrote:
    damndirtyape, previously when clicking on dvds over £18.00 in value on CD-wow's site, a pop-up box would appear with a warning about possible customs charges.

A few weeks ago, this pop-up warning stopped appearing, and many people emailed Cd-wow to clarify the issue.

Cd-wow responded by saying that the dvds were now duty paid, and customs was no longer an issue. (This is also why prices rose on their site for region one dvds - a current example - Eddie Murphy -Raw is £8.99 on cd-wow, whereas it is approximately £6.00 from Dvdsoon.)

You can email cd-wow direct from their website, if you wish to have your own personal confirmation.
    There are also threads on this topic on other website forums, but it is probably pointless posting URLS, as you are probably not a member of those websites, and won't be able to view the threads without the tedium of registering etc.

A good site to bookmark is www.happyhunter.com.
    This will give you a good idea of the cheapest seller of a dvd that you are after. They are not affiliated with cd-wow or www.deepdiscountdvd.com, so you will have to do a separate search on those websites to ensure that you are paying the lowest possible price for a dvd that you are after.

Thanks for that - I just wanted to be sure that it was an official thing, as some people have previously said "such-and-such don't have customs charges", when what they actually meant was that they haven't been hit with a charge themselves and just assumed ;)

Looks like I might be going on a boxset buying spree any day now :D:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just use cdwow, theyre secure. :P
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even before CD-WOW! went "customs friendly" they were great. I ordered Fellowship of the Ring on the extended four disk set a couple of years ago. I got a £10+ charge from customs via my local sorting office when I went to collect it. Called CD-WOW! and they refunded my account within one day (at the time their website stated that all fees were paid at the time of purchase). Couldn't ask for better service than that. They are brilliant for CDs and DVDs and I highly recommend them.

PS The www8 etc always happens - don't worry about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    you could always check out
    www.dvdpricecheck.co.uk
    great site compares prices from around the world
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ordered two Region 1 DVDs a few days back. Hopefully should arrive soon. Was worried about customs but looking at the posts from you guys, seems that isn't an issue anymore.

Cheers people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Ordered KILL BILL 2 AND RETURN OF THE KING,last friday.Arrived this morning.Can't fault it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I ordered a DVD for my friend as she doesnt have the internet.... I wrote in her address wrong and I emailed them to explain. Very friendly, they cancelled the order and set up a new one and it was dispatched the next day! How much to they rock!? yay!
  • Options
    thepuffinthepuffin Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    www.dvdboxoffice.com in Canada are very good for Region1 stuff as well.