Options

The Bill. Discuss the AXE here.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very infuriating that ITV saw fit to let an announcer waffle all over the end credits - being the last episode they should have just shut up and let people alone to reflect a bit. I don't know why I'm surprised but it's pissed me off and soured an otherwise good ending to a long running show.
  • Options
    Dino MDino M Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch years ago, but thought I would tune in to see how it ended and if I am honest, considering how big a show this was, the final episode was pretty much a massive let down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Post not appearing.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traynor wrote: »
    ITV should have left well alone - they killed the Bill.

I'd have to agree : it looked unrecognisable from the show people had been watching for over 20 years."Let's modernise it and kill it off in the process".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    They could have ended it with shoes clumping their way down cobbled streets.

Agreed - didn't someone in this thread say we were going to get a nod to the "walking feet"...didn't seem to happen in the end, and I'd been looking forward to that as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think the first 55 minutes was that good, at least, nothing special.
    But, the last five minutes were really good. I really enjoyed that.
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Very infuriating that ITV saw fit to let an announcer waffle all over the end credits - being the last episode they should have just shut up and let people alone to reflect a bit. I don't know why I'm surprised but it's pissed me off and soured an otherwise good ending to a long running show.

Indeed, you shouldn't be surprised. It did piss me off too!
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Typical ITV with their moronic announcements for people with a low attention span.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Dino M wrote: »
    I used to watch years ago, but thought I would tune in to see how it ended and if I am honest, considering how big a show this was, the final episode was pretty much a massive let down.
    JUst Like Londons Burning a big long running show and crap final episode.
    So the Bill now joins a list if long running and popular shows that ITV have ruined and then axed
    Londons burning and Soilder,soilder and soon to be heartbeat which is long running and seems popular
    soon we will be left with Reality shows and corrie
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 230
    Forum Member
    Agreed - didn't someone in this thread say we were going to get a nod to the "walking feet"...didn't seem to happen in the end, and I'd been looking forward to that as well.

they did get a nod, at the begining just before the titles you two feet walking towards the estate.

i have to see it was a fitting end to a brilliant tv show, shame that itv had to have an announcer over the credits but im glad they mixed the old theme tunes at the end, thought that was a nice touch.
  • Options
    marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last words spoken tonight "Lets do it" were the first words spoken in the very first episode!
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it was the brief bit at the very beginning where two of the officers were walking away from camera but the shot started low down by their feet and then panned up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marlman wrote: »
    The last words spoken tonight "Lets do it" were the first words spoken in the very first episode!

And the last scene with the camera following Smithy and Callum around the nick exchanging quick words with the others was reminiscent of the very first episode where the camera followed Bob Cryer around the nick as he started his shift.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the last ten minutes and have to admit to having a slight blub. I havent watched The Bill for about five years, having found the entire Gabriel Kent saga completely intolerable, but the show was a big part of my life for about five years before that and I'm also old enough to remember the glory days of Burnside, Tosh, Dashwood, Galloway, Carver et al.

It'll be weird it not being around any more.
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May be on the documentary which is on after the news.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they did show the two pairs of feet. I thought it was good and feel very disappointed that it has been axed.

One thing I did notice was the very low key bit with Neil Manson and Grace Dasri. In Paul Marques' day they would have been all over each other! But all they did was hold hands - well done!
  • Options
    FOXPRESIDENTFOXPRESIDENT Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a very fitting end, and I will very much miss it.

Watched it on HD and there was no announcer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    bawled my eyes out at Jack's speech at the end.
  • Options
    Astra 1AAstra 1A Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tuned in tonight for the first time in years and could not recognise the show as the one i loved religiously during the 80's and 90's... where was the the old school humour?

My personal peak was the Burnside/Roach/Carver era and stopped watching probably around the time of the Sun Hill Fire - 2001/2 ?? when it started to take itself far too seriously....
  • Options
    Delta2113Delta2113 Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UTV Northern Ireland totally messed up the end and yes spoke all over the closing end credits then promoted the Bill website - idiots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nthorn wrote: »
    I've watched a few episodes in the new format. I used to watch every episode. I'm sure if I continued to watch, the new format would have grown on me.
    nthorn wrote: »
    I'm sorry, there is no way I was going to sit and watch the awful episodes being churned out when they moved to the 9pm slot. However much faith I have in it.

You contracdicted your self in your two posts.

First one you admiit it may have grown on you then you say there was no way you would sit and watch the awful episodes when it was moved to 9pm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    They could have had the whole end credits without anyone talking over it, as it has very close sound to the old theme!!

Why talk over it, when its the very last one, hardly continues the ' 'respect' ending. Stupid woman. Did this happen on ITV1 HD?
  • Options
    Delta2113Delta2113 Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of talk about Respect - was that a bit of a dig at ITV - I wonder?

BBC shoud have stepped up to the plate - pity or how about this radical idea - RTE Ireland and ABC Australia joint co-production.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amysmum wrote: »
    You contracdicted your self in your two posts.

First one you admiit it may have grown on you then you say there was no way you would sit and watch the awful episodes when it was moved to 9pm.

Yes, because at the time it was truly awful. I wasn't willing to watch the utter tripe the show was producing and give it time.

Maybe if I had of stuck with it as you suggest and I have said in my post, I would have enjoyed it more.

But there is no way I was going to do that.
  • Options
    Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,389
    Forum Member
    I just wished they had sorted out Max before they finished the show. He needed to be taken down a peg or two.. Lovely endng with the walk around the 'nick'. In an interview earlier tonight Simon Rouse said that it got to him when he filmed his speech. I wasvery good I didn't blub, thought I might, probably would have done if Callum had been shot, him and Smiffy at the end was a nice touch:cry:
  • Options
    WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    During Jack's 'Respect' speech, I was hoping for ...

"ITV... doesn't treat any of its shows with any respect."

Can't believe the announcer spoke over it. They need to have a real think about the way they treat their shows.

Excellent ending though, especially the long final shot!