Options

BBC Radio Scotland Advertising SCD in 8AM News Bulletin

tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sorry but I found this really annoying.

They blatantly plugged a shitty light entertainment show in their main news headlines.

Headline news my ar*e.

BBC please sack the editor who authorised this.
You're just as bad as ITV these days.

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you can give some details of how they "blatantly plugged it" so we can make up our minds.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard this on their 7am headlines, and got just as annoyed as the OP.

There is no particular Scottish angle to this story that justifies it being a major news headline on the Scottish flagship news programme. The only reason I can see it being mentioned is as nothing more than a blatent advert for a BBC programme.
  • Options
    KoalaKoala Posts: 6,082
    Forum Member
    Who or what is SCD ?
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    **Perhaps** it may have been justifiable to have a story about the show during the programme as they do cover lightweight stories too but to have this as a HEADLINE is just unforgivable for a programme like this. What next, a soap roundup on the Today Programme?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What next, a soap roundup on the Today Programme?:rolleyes:

It is not unknown for there to be an item related to The Archers on the Today programme but of course listeners to The Archers don't like to admit that it is just another soap opera.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    It is not unknown for there to be an item related to The Archers on the Today programme but of course listeners to The Archers don't like to admit that it is just another soap opera.

At least The Archers is a radio programme on the same station as the Today programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At least The Archers is a radio programme on the same station as the Today programme.

Please...tell me.... Who or what is SCD ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strictly Come Dancing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you don't think that Radio Scotland should mention any television programmes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tangsman wrote: »
    Strictly Come Dancing.

Thank you so much.:)

It's always easier for idiots like me if the full title of something unfamiliar is given first...after that an acronym can be used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    So you don't think that Radio Scotland should mention any television programmes?

Not in a news bulletin. It's not news. It's self promotion of a show on the BBC.

If only Radio Scotland had a lighthearted morning magazine programme presented by a comedy star that would suit this sort of item better.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well we're no nearer to finding out what they said - as it was Radio Scotland I assume there must have been some angle relevant to Scotland, not just saying the new series was starting:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Well we're no nearer to finding out what they said - as it was Radio Scotland I assume there must have been some angle relevant to Scotland, not just saying the new series was starting:confused:

There was no Scottish angle and they informed everyone the new series started this weekend. This wedged between proper newsworthy items was nothing short of self promotion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As I mentioned earlier, there was no Scottish angle, it was a plug that it started tonight, it had the likes of Paul Daniels and Anne Widdicombe in it, a few words from Anne Widdicome in a pre recorded bit, and that was it.

No news worthy reason for it to be one of the main headlines at 7am on Good Morning Scotland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00txhdl/Good_Morning_Scotland_01_10_2010/

The story is 2hours and 6 mins into the programme, sandwiched between stories about the Japanese raising cigarette prices by 40% and Unite wanting tips for waiting staff to be passed onto the staff. To be fair, I did detect a hint of annoyance in Gary Robertson's voice in the lead up to the report.

The news bulletins don't have to contain stories with a Scottish angle as you suggest but to give over a full minute to this nonsense is just plain self promotion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I mentioned earlier, I heard the broadcast at 7am, but listening to the 8am version it is even worse.
  • Options
    AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    post deleted.