Options

Why No Arrests of Prostitutes?

butchcasidybutchcasidy Posts: 835
Forum Member
✭✭
Yet another vile creature has been sentenced to life for the butchering of three prostitutes. I am only placing this because of anger. Why no arrests of the prostitutes? I do mean this in the kindest way.
If I recall correctly in 1959 that government brought in the Street Offenses Act which made it illegal to 'walk the streets' for clients.
We know that the better off prostitutes have nice flats and the top ones are on great incomes. No, the poor retches that have to walk the street in terrible conditions are (I suggest) about only two per cent of the trade. Pathetic creatures and totally vulnerable to these lowest of the low types and terribly at risk. Mostly on drugs most likely and working for a few pounds.
The State should take them into care and the police should do their job and arrest the girls from the streets - for their own good.

Comments

• Options
    ricky77ricky77 Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <snip>.... Mostly on drugs most likely and working for a few pounds.
    The State should take them into care and the police should do their job and arrest the girls from the streets - for their own good.

I think you've answered your own question there. The ones on the street are generally drug addicts and need the hard cash for their next fix.

If the Police take them into care, they lose out on that...and I don't think the Police can take adults into care that don't want to be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ricky77 wrote: »
    I think you've answered your own question there. The ones on the street are generally drug addicts and need the hard cash for their next fix.

If the Police take them into care, they lose out on that...and I don't think the Police can take adults into care that don't want to be?

Then something should be added to The Street Offenses Act for drug abuse was around in 1959 too, but we know politicians find it hard to see logic. The police should have power to hand the girls to a care authority - they have broken the law!
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    If there weren't a bunch of men out for business, there wouldn't be the women out there walking the streets. Stop the men kerb crawling and you get rid of the problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there weren't a bunch of men out for business, there wouldn't be the women out there walking the streets. Stop the men kerb crawling and you get rid of the problem.

Yes there would - always has been and always will be
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Punishment should always be directed at the customer, but pledging to get them off the streets is like starting a war on drugs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The girls are breaking a passed law made 51 years ago, charge them with it for there own good. Only low-life pick such girls from the streets. The better class are not on the streets. The best way to stop it is to have no girls on the streets.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    The girls are breaking a passed law made 51 years ago, charge them with it for there own good. Only low-life pick such girls from the streets. The better class are not on the streets. The best way to stop it is to have no girls on the streets.

do you go for the crime or the cause of the crime?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do you go for the crime or the cause of the crime?

Prostitution a crime? I am not able to judge. I am talking about the saving of lives who earn a dismal living in the worst possible - desease - ridden way. This is 2010 and not 1888 suposedly.
  • Options
    currysockscurrysocks Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ricky77 wrote: »

Supply and demand though.

The punters won't be going away and neither will the pimps who get these girls onto the streets in the first place.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe this adds some info...
    In the United Kingdom, prostitution itself (the exchange of sexual services for money) is legal,[2] but a number of related activities, including soliciting in a public place, kerb crawling, keeping a brothel, pimping and pandering, are outlawed.

The Policing and Crime Act 2009 makes it illegal to pay for sex with a prostitute who has been “subjected to force” and this is a strict liability offense (clients can be prosecuted even if they didn’t know the prostitute was forced).[3][4]

Since the Sexual Offences Act 2003, the word prostitute is gender neutral, previously some laws only applied to female prostitutes.
    Wiki
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    currysocks wrote: »
    Supply and demand though.

The punters won't be going away and neither will the pimps who get these girls onto the streets in the first place.

Let us, please, avoid making wide statements without foundation. Most of these girls live a lonely life and do not make enough to pay a pimp! Who needs a pimp to walk the streets? Pathetic reasons place the girls on the streets and you know this is the case. They are not 'talked into it'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Maybe this adds some info...

Wiki

I am not referring to the finer points of the law I am saying just one aspect of the law is the illegal walking of the streets that only the lowest end of the trade must do. Lowest in the pathetic vulnerable sense and not as a human being.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The policy that would reduce streetwalking more than anything else the government could do, is heroin maintenance treatment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    The policy that would reduce streetwalking more than anything else the government could do, is heroin maintenance treatment.

Why not abide by the law or why bother passing a law?
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the OP:

Pop along to any magistrates' court any day you like and watch the proceedings. I suppose it had better be in London. It will be a rather long succession of street vendors 'causing an obstruction', minor traffic offenders, drunk and disorderlies, prostitutes. They will all be given very small fines an a teling off. What do you want, banner headlines every week 'ANOTHER TWELVE PROSTITUTES FINED £30 EACH'?
  • Options
    PoliticoRNPoliticoRN Posts: 5,519
    Forum Member

Utter nonsense.

Prostitution is a two way transaction; there needs to be sellers and buyers. As long as there are sellers there will always be buyers, and as long as there are buyers there will always be sellers.

Blaming just one side or the others is disingenuous and more than a little prejudicial.

As much as it is very un-PC to say it some prostitutes are in that position because they want to be. I knew a girl who paid her way through 4 years of university by prostitution. There was no need for her to do so, I went to uni when we still got partial grants topped up with Student Loans, or in some cases full grants. She left uni with a degree, no debt and well over £15k in the bank. She thought it a good investment. Only found out that's what she did after we left uni though so I guess she still thought there was some stigma attached to it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    What do you want, banner headlines every week 'ANOTHER TWELVE PROSTITUTES FINED £30 EACH'?

indeed....and how do you think the money for this fine would be paid?

having spent many years in the profession there is such a difference to street workers form private/brothel workers. street working would disgust your average prostitute...surely heroin is the only reason for street workers, (private places wouldnt let heroin addicts work, they bring the place down)
    until the addiction is sorted out there is no hope of anything else.
    arresting them is not the answer, although im afraid i cant give you the right answer.

sick fcukers like that disgusting man recently jailed are rare. they pick on easy targets. if you are working the streets im afraid you make yourself an easy target, but at the end of the day they are the evil ones in the wrong, noone else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make prostitution legal
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gertrude wrote: »
    Make prostitution legal

Yep, but that's common sense - and our government don't do common sense. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    Make prostitution legal

but that would never stop street prostitution...never stop girls going out doing it for cheaper, cash in hand, especially if drug addiction is a factor.
  • Options
    currysockscurrysocks Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let us, please, avoid making wide statements without foundation. Most of these girls live a lonely life and do not make enough to pay a pimp! Who needs a pimp to walk the streets? Pathetic reasons place the girls on the streets and you know this is the case. They are not 'talked into it'

Unfortunately it is men who initially lure these girls onto the streets.

Firstly they become a boyfriend,then introduce the girl to drugs until the only way they can feed their habit and line the pockets of their "boyfriend" is to work the streets.

You must be very naive not to know how this works.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make prostitution legal

As was explained in an earlier post, the act of prostitution is legal; it's only some activities at the lower end of the market which are illegal.

Parliament, for some reason, has decided that sex for money is a perfectly legal transaction; one can only wonder why.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Exactly. If the girls are to be arrested then so should their clients - it takes two after all.
    And that would wipe out prostitution.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make prostitution legal
    Prostitution already is legal
    Yep, but that's common sense - and our government don't do common sense. ;)
    Like legalising drugs you mean? A common sense answer which will not be adopted. The common sense answer in this case is to legalise brothels. That would get the girls (and boys) off the streets in legal, potentially regulated, surroundings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    To the OP:

Pop along to any magistrates' court any day you like and watch the proceedings. I suppose it had better be in London. It will be a rather long succession of street vendors 'causing an obstruction', minor traffic offenders, drunk and disorderlies, prostitutes. They will all be given very small fines an a teling off. What do you want, banner headlines every week 'ANOTHER TWELVE PROSTITUTES FINED £30 EACH'?

Just my point: take the street walking fine to £500 - £1000 and that would be that!
    If you deliberately drove down a one-way=street and suffered such a fine you would think twice about like I would. IF the girls are pathetic - take them into care.