Options

Ricky Gervais new comedy- Derek

Comments

• Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    feckit wrote: »
    Not the pilot, I have not seen that.
    This is just a programme about him telling us about his character Derek.

The making of? If you're referring to the archive clip they show of Ricky playing him a few years earlier, he says himself that was from the early days of the idea, before it had properly developed, when he was just an unscripted character he used to do with friends.
  • Options
    cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they're nothing alike,Derek is a great character
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Derek is back on again tonight.

I didn't really get this show when it was first on. Not sure I should be laughing or not :o
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    I just commented about this show in the other thread.

I do like RG but not sure what he is getting at with the character. Is it a comedy or a drama :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »

I do like RG but not sure what he is getting at with the character. Is it a comedy or a drama :confused:

To quote his answer to that one, "it's whatever life is".

From his tweets it's a comedy drama like Shameless, but more sitcomy. Basically, a comedy with sad, dramatic bits.

First look video:

Making of show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ETtPDQrTzw

The press love it:

Kevin O'Sullivan ‏@TVKev

PS... don't miss Ricky Gervais' "Derek" next week. It's remarkable. I mean it...

Kevin O'Sullivan ‏@TVKev

@shonaghwoods Best programme I've seen for ages.

Kevin O'Sullivan ‏@TVKev

@rickygervais Obviously, I watch a lot of TV. Derek is the best programme I've seen in a long time. Loved the scenes with the dogs!

boydhilton ‏@boydhilton

@TVKev @rickygervais And Kev & I usually never agree... so it must be true.

Kevin O'Sullivan ‏@TVKev

@boydhilton @rickygervais How about that, Boyd! Derek... the show that brings people together.

The only non knee jerk "it's prejudiced!" critic I've seen say anything negative about it is Ian Hyland, who simply said it isn't good as The Office (you know, the most successful British comedy of all time) :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a Dramady !
    Drama + Comedy = Dramady :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a Dramady !

I think Comedy Drama sums it up better, dramedies tend to be dramas with funny bits, written by drama writers, where as Derek is more a comedy with sad bits and is written by a comedy writer.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I didn't really get this show when it was first on. Not sure I should be laughing or not :o

At the funny bits, yes.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, yes, you may have thought they looked rather similar.

I've got news for you, it's because it's the same actor playing them both.

That's not what I meant.
    To put it another way could Derek be based on what could have happened to David Brent?
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Usual Ricky format ie Office and Extras, funny bits and poignant bits.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think because he potrays him as a bit dim AND hunched over and gurning people assume the character is disabled but as ricky says, Baldrick, Father Dugal and Mr Bean were far more stupid but no one calls them disabled.

And even if Derek was, so what? You are meant to laugh at the things he does not him. I have seen people with down syndrome in real life do something I found funny and laughed doesn't mean I am making fun of them just what they did or said.

I think you should be able to make comedy about anything.
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    I have nothing at all against Gervais but his argument that Derek isn't supposed to have any sort of condition is utterly weak.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have nothing at all against Gervais but his argument that Derek isn't supposed to have any sort of condition is utterly weak.

What condition though?
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Dramady !

I think its more comedy+drama , which is
    .... coma ?
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think because he potrays him as a bit dim AND hunched over and gurning people assume the character is disabled but as ricky says, Baldrick, Father Dugal and Mr Bean were far more stupid but no one calls them disabled.

And even if Derek was, so what? You are meant to laugh at the things he does not him. I have seen people with down syndrome in real life do something I found funny and laughed doesn't mean I am making fun of them just what they did or said.

I think you should be able to make comedy about anything.

Actually Mr Bean evidently did have something wrong, he exhibited the behaviour of someone socially awkard and maybe with Asperger's. Baldrick was just uneducated and Fr
    Dugal was seen as very dim which is a form of disability,
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure that it's supposed to be 'kind' and 'touching' and well written, but sorry I can't take Ricky Gervais seriously as that character.
    The way he portrays him doesn't come across as believable.
    If any other actor portrayed the character like that you'd say that they were shit.

Everything else about it is fine, but the Derek character himself which Ricky Gervais plays just comes across like a pure cartoon character.
    It's like taking a character from a wacky sitcom type show, like say for example The IT Crowd, and throwing them into a comedy-drama. It just doesn't ring true for me at all.
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    What condition though?
    No idea, I didn't write him nor am I a medical professional. But Gervais is too scared to challenge detractors by saying "yes, he does have (X), so what?", especially after mong-gate so he acts like there's nothing wrong with him at all.
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Mong gate' showed Gervais up for what he thinks of Derek.
    He's just mocking the disabled. Again.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Firstly, this:

Secondly, what gives you the impression that he is?
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is just going to descend into the same old "He's arrogant and and up himself vs He's just putting on a persona" argument that EVERY thread about Ricky Gervais does isn't it??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    'Mong gate' showed Gervais up for what he thinks of Derek.
    He's just mocking the disabled. Again.

It showed nothing..

mong 2 (mɒŋ)

— n
    slang ( Brit ) a stupid or foolish person

[C20: a shortening of mongol ]

Collins English Dictionary

It hasn't referred to Down Syndrome people in decades, it's no more prejudiced than the phrase 'Chinese Whispers' is racist.

He's been calling him it for years, see here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No idea, I didn't write him nor am I a medical professional. But Gervais is too scared to challenge detractors by saying "yes, he does have (X), so what?", especially after mong-gate so he acts like there's nothing wrong with him at all.

But what leads you to believe he's meant to have one? What about Ricky's portrayal of him makes you think 'he's disabled'?
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope he still has the downbeat piano music in the show to let us know when it's supposed to sad.

He should add some happy trumpet music when there's a funny bit.
  • Options
    Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed The Office and Extras. Haven't watched any of Derek yet but don't really like the look of it from the trailers, I don't believe Ricky Gervais has a very big "range" as an actor, and pulling off something quite sensitive, i.e. the portrayal of a middle aged man with possible learning difficulties isn't something I think a limited actor such as Gervais can really manage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I hope he still has the downbeat piano music in the show to let us know when it's supposed to sad.

He should add some happy trumpet music when there's a funny bit.

It's the music of the documentary Derek's meant to be appearing in.