Options

Broadchurch - Series 2

Comments

• Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    I still think it's very good - compared to most of the rot on TV, but this episode wasn't the best.

- The confession being discounted just sounds like something invented to string out the trial.
    - Beth hating Ellie seems to have been invented purely for that one contrived scene where she leads Ellie away from the house.
    - Claire escaping the house so quickly and with no one seeing is just ridiculous.

I do want to like it and I loved series 1, but so far it reeks of contrived, unrealistic storylines. And it feels so obvious where the story has been altered to give it a second series. Why are we even meant to care about Claire? We barely know her and she seems a bit shifty, so I'm not bothered what happens to her.

It would have been better if beth had been friendly to her again until she realised she screwed up the case.

The most interesting hint tonight was Joe saying to Paul 'whose side are you on'. More hints at a dodgy vicar
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still better than most of the shite you see on TV these days. The series would be much better if the focus was completely on Hardy/Miller/Claire. I said it last week and I'll say it again: the not guilty storyline was done so they could keep the name Broadchurch and still have it situated there.

It's easier to sell a second series to a general audience if it's still similar to the first. I don't think 'The Adventures of Alec Hardy and Ellie Miller' would have quite the same drawing power.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    I think part of the problem is that we have no emotional link with the Sambrook victims. We know it was two young girls but apart from that, nothing. And no idea what the evidence was, or why Alec is so convinced that whatsisname is guilty. So we just don't really care about the case.

And if I see another bloody close up of a mobile phone screen I might just chuck something at the telly.
    From the last series Alec found a pendant on him which was from the dead girl but something to do with his ex wife led to it going missing. Should have been said again through because I doubt most viewers can remember it.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has been a lot of talk about the dialogue being incomprehensible but I haven't found it to be so, at all.
  • Options
    _Zd_Phoenix__Zd_Phoenix_ Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    -Yevrah- wrote: »
    I was naturally sceptical of how good a second series of this would be, but I had no idea it would be this bad, this quickly.

No, me neither :(

I have to say last week, although sketchy, I did think there were a few moments where I was hopeful of where this was going and the exhumation in particular was a gut punch. But oh wow that episode was boring. I can't decide what I disliked least:

- that everything feels contrived
    - that everyone's getting all dramatic over plot twists that we found out about in the last series
    - that there's no emotional investment in the Sandbrook case or Claire
    - ditto on the whole barrister drama
    - that the court case is awful

What worries me most is if they decide that Joe hasn't done it. There's a real danger they're going to undermine the brilliance of series 1 with utter rubbish here. Fingers crossed it comes together and isn't a compete show-ruining farce . . . but I'm concerned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Paul237 wrote: »
    I still think it's very good - compared to most of the rot on TV, but this episode wasn't the best.

- The confession being discounted just sounds like something invented to string out the trial.
    - Beth hating Ellie seems to have been invented purely for that one contrived scene where she leads Ellie away from the house.
    - Claire escaping the house so quickly and with no one seeing is just ridiculous.

I do want to like it and I loved series 1, but so far it reeks of contrived, unrealistic storylines. And it feels so obvious where the story has been altered to give it a second series. Why are we even meant to care about Claire? We barely know her and she seems a bit shifty, so I'm not bothered what happens to her.

Agree with all of this. I'm surprised at how ludicrous that episode was. And Beth really needs to stop with her irrational hatred of Ellie, who is just as much a victim as she is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    From the last series Alec found a pendant on him which was from the dead girl but something to do with his ex wife led to it going missing. Should have been said again through because I doubt most viewers can remember it.

Oh ! Yes they should have reiterated that. I don't remember that at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    What an utter dull episode after last week's brilliant start. Broadchurch has been fairly consistent throughout but this was shambles.

How could someone manage to sneak out and do a runner where you couldn't possibly find them in a matter of 5 seconds.
  • Options
    JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    So that they can have the contrived "waters break in the middle of a confrontation" scene outside, and have it conveniently give those other two a chance to escape.

I desperately want to like this series, but that episode was ridiculous, any promise the first episode had is long gone. The first series was great, well-acted and had solid writing, this series is really struggling on both fronts so far.

Me too, I really wanted to enjoy it and look forward to each episode as I did with the first series, but the ending tonight left me reeling!! Alec is a DI FFS not a wet behind the ears rookie - just a catalogue of schoolboy errors. I am so disappointed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jalal wrote: »
    What an utter dull episode after last week's brilliant start. Broadchurch has been fairly consistent throughout but this was shambles.

How could someone manage to sneak out and do a runner where you couldn't possibly find them in a matter of 5 seconds.

Well that happened in The Missing too :)
  • Options
    JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    Agree with all of this. I'm surprised at how ludicrous that episode was. And Beth really needs to stop with her irrational hatred of Ellie, who is just as much a victim as she is.

True - I don't think in real life a friendship would turn sour as this one seems to have done. Ellie is a victim and the thought that she knew and was complicit with Joe is ludicrous, Beth is more intelligent than that.
  • Options
    Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nw0307 wrote: »
    He needs to check she still has a pair of tits?

I wondered about the necklace Claire was wearing, wasn't there a missing necklace in the Sandbrook case that caused it to collapse? I thought it looked like he was checking she had it...but then again I could have totally misread that scene!
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, me neither :(

I have to say last week, although sketchy, I did think there were a few moments where I was hopeful of where this was going and the exhumation in particular was a gut punch. But oh wow that episode was boring. I can't decide what I disliked least:

- that everything feels contrived
    - that everyone's getting all dramatic over plot twists that we found out about in the last series
    - that there's no emotional investment in the Sandbrook case or Claire
    - ditto on the whole barrister drama
    - that the court case is awful

What worries me most is if they decide that Joe hasn't done it. There's a real danger they're going to undermine the brilliance of series 1 with utter rubbish here. Fingers crossed it comes together and isn't a compete show-ruining farce . . . but I'm concerned.

Maybe Joe didn't do it?

Or maybe he did and his legal team will get him off anyway (I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time a murderer has got off through having a good enough barrister to manipulate the evidence against him)
  • Options
    somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think part of the problem is that we have no emotional link with the Sambrook victims. We know it was two young girls but apart from that, nothing. And no idea what the evidence was, or why Alec is so convinced that whatsisname is guilty. So we just don't really care about the case.

And if I see another bloody close up of a mobile phone screen I might just chuck something at the telly.

Well if you can bear to rewatch the first few scenes, a mobile phone close up revealed a goof: Claire's phone rang, but the 'no ring' icon was visible on the top of the screen!
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jalal wrote: »

Well, the girlfriend of the terrorist who was holding hostages in a supermarket in France last week not only managed to get out of the supermarket in the midst of a police raid but then managed to get all the way to Syria.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    natalian wrote: »
    Well, the girlfriend of the terrorist who was holding hostages in a supermarket in France last week not only managed to get out of the supermarket in the midst of a police raid but then managed to get all the way to Syria.
    I don't think she was in the supermarket. I thin they know now she left France on the 2nd before the attacks.
  • Options
    Carolyn_BrownCarolyn_Brown Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    JoJo4 wrote: »
    True - I don't think in real life a friendship would turn sour as this one seems to have done. Ellie is a victim and the thought that she knew and was complicit with Joe is ludicrous, Beth is more intelligent than that.

I don't think she's ever come across as particularly intelligent and a lot of people like her would blame the wife - anyway she shouts and moans at anyone she can get her hands on. Wait until she finds out that Arthur Darvill is making trips to the prison, he'll be next, her and hubby screaming round their in their plumbers van!
    If she loses her baby, Ellie will be blamed for killing two children - just you wait! They'll send a mob round with pitchforks like they did with the old guy from Harry Potter.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    It's still better than most of the shite you see on TV these days. The series would be much better if the focus was completely on Hardy/Miller/Claire. I said it last week and I'll say it again: the not guilty storyline was done so they could keep the name Broadchurch and still have it situated there.

It's easier to sell a second series to a general audience if it's still similar to the first. I don't think 'The Adventures of Alec Hardy and Ellie Miller' would have quite the same drawing power.

If that's the case then it's a shame. I don't see why they couldn't have called this series Sandbrook.
  • Options
    ryanellisryanellis Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Goodness me what's Beth gonna blame Ellie for next! "My husband wouldn't take my out because he's fraternising with your son who you birthed so it's your fault!!". I can't feel any sympathy for Beth anymore!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    natalian wrote: »
    Maybe Joe didn't do it?

Or maybe he did and his legal team will get him off anyway (I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time a murderer has got off through having a good enough barrister to manipulate the evidence against him)

I actually want him to be innocent because I loathe Beth and Mumbles so much. Imagine their faces if they have got the wrong man, oh the apologising they will have to do.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoJo4 wrote: »

I agree, I do think It would be totally understandable if they were never friends again, but Beth's behaviour to Ellie is just ridiculous. Beth accused Ellie of beating up her husband so that his confession would be discounted... well the fact that is has been discounted makes no sense, so I don't see how Ellie could have planned it beforehand. Also blaming her for her waters breaking when she has been shoving her down the street, really hard to like in this episode.
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first episode did an interesting U turn. The second seems to have veered right of the tracks. The conclusion of the episode was quite frankly ridiculous. Hardy living up to his worst cop in Britain reputation. Thought Beth going into Labour when and where she did was a pretty shoddy way to drive the plot. Neither her nor Mark are behaving at all sympathetically.

Cheap way to write out Beth's mother too. Healthy robust woman in her early sixties suddenly drops dead out of grief? The lawyers and the judge are all being characterised a bit too eccentrically for my liking.

I will continue watching as I like the miniseries format and the cast, but the show seems to have lost the realism of the first series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    16caerhos wrote: »

How about Hardy and Miller - The Crime Fighting Dorset Duo.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think she's ever come across as particularly intelligent and a lot of people like her would blame the wife - anyway she shouts and moans at anyone she can get her hands on. Wait until she finds out that Arthur Darvill is making trips to the prison, he'll be next, her and hubby screaming round their in their plumbers van!
    If she loses her baby, Ellie will be blamed for killing two children - just you wait! They'll send a mob round with pitchforks like they did with the old guy from Harry Potter.

I know we are talking about grief and murder and all sorts of unpleasant things, but this made me laugh, particularly the part about the old guy from harry Potter lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shevk wrote: »
    The first episode did an interesting U turn. The second seems to have veered right of the tracks. The conclusion of the episode was quite frankly ridiculous. Hardy living up to his worst cop in Britain reputation. Thought Beth going into Labour when and where she did was a pretty shoddy way to drive the plot. Neither her nor Mark are behaving at all sympathetically.

Cheap way to write out Beth's mother too. Healthy robust woman in her early sixties suddenly drops dead out of grief? The lawyers and the judge are all being characterised a bit too eccentrically for my liking.

I will continue watching as I like the miniseries format and the cast, but the show seems to have lost the realism of the first series.

Particularly as she never seemed to show any grief anyway. She used to behave as if they'd lost the family dog.