Options

Sky Sports- ICC Cricket World Cup 2015

Comments

• Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone else getting random sound dips on the NZ v Scotland coverage?
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with ITV's highlights package from Saturday night (been away for the weekend) - it's clear that they are putting very little money into this. A simple voiceover-only affair. I must say that the editing seemed to be rather basic and it was little more than the boundaries and wickets spliced together. As far as I saw it from the radio commentary and analysis after the England-Australia match, two key talking points were the switch of momentum towards Australia in the final 10 overs as a result of England's poor bowling tactics, and the run-out scenario at the end. Neither were covered in a satisfactory manner - as the final 10 overs just happened as a blur of boundaries and wickets, rather than the feel of the pendulum swinging from England to Australia, and then the confusion of the end was covered well, but the voice-over did not clarify that the ICC later made comment that the decision was incorrect. The fact that the editing was substandard led me to wonder whether it was a host-broadcast highlights package that ITV had just had the voice-over dubbed for, but it appeared to be an ITV production, judging by the endcap.

Given the high pedigree of their 2010/11 Ashes highlights, which was edited from the world feed by ITV in London, I was surprised by the lack of world feed presentation elements (why not take some world feed interviews, if not world feed punditry?) as they did so well in 2010/11. Perhaps I am asking for the moon, when they only have an hour to cover two matches of ODI cricket (compared to an hour for a day of test cricket), and perhaps things will be better paced when there is just one match to cover in a programme, but I was a bit disappointed by the ITV effort last night.

Still, the programme was better than the rubbish that TWI put together for the BBC eight years ago, that has to go down as the most odd cricket coverage ever produced. Dream sequences about Ravi Bopara captaining England in 2011, bizarre features involving playing cards, I've never seen anything like it before or since...!
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    It is ITV.
    Just look at their football coverage! That should be enough to tell you how little they care what the viewer will feel after watching!
    Cricket was good on ITV with the IPL, but this has no chance
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV only have an hours worth of show plus adverts. If they actually had a studio people would moan they didn't show the action!
  • Options
    mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,075
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with ITV's highlights package from Saturday night (been away for the weekend) - it's clear that they are putting very little money into this. A simple voiceover-only affair. I must say that the editing seemed to be rather basic and it was little more than the boundaries and wickets spliced together. As far as I saw it from the radio commentary and analysis after the England-Australia match, two key talking points were the switch of momentum towards Australia in the final 10 overs as a result of England's poor bowling tactics, and the run-out scenario at the end. Neither were covered in a satisfactory manner - as the final 10 overs just happened as a blur of boundaries and wickets, rather than the feel of the pendulum swinging from England to Australia, and then the confusion of the end was covered well, but the voice-over did not clarify that the ICC later made comment that the decision was incorrect. The fact that the editing was substandard led me to wonder whether it was a host-broadcast highlights package that ITV had just had the voice-over dubbed for, but it appeared to be an ITV production, judging by the endcap.

Given the high pedigree of their 2010/11 Ashes highlights, which was edited from the world feed by ITV in London, I was surprised by the lack of world feed presentation elements (why not take some world feed interviews, if not world feed punditry?) as they did so well in 2010/11. Perhaps I am asking for the moon, when they only have an hour to cover two matches of ODI cricket (compared to an hour for a day of test cricket), and perhaps things will be better paced when there is just one match to cover in a programme, but I was a bit disappointed by the ITV effort last night.

Still, the programme was better than the rubbish that TWI put together for the BBC eight years ago, that has to go down as the most odd cricket coverage ever produced. Dream sequences about Ravi Bopara captaining England in 2011, bizarre features involving playing cards, I've never seen anything like it before or since...!

The world highlights feed, made by Star Sports in Mumbai, and from which ITV's show is made, includes no interviews, scene-setting, punditry, or indeed anything other than the coin toss, boundaries and wickets, so there's no scope for ITV to do anything else. Indeed the feed for India v Pakistan had one of the Indian wickets missing (which ITV had to source from elsewhere).

The weekday shows should be better paced, as they won't be trying to get 200 overs into 46 minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The world highlights feed, made by Star Sports in Mumbai, and from which ITV's show is made, includes no interviews, scene-setting, punditry, or indeed anything other than the coin toss, boundaries and wickets, so there's no scope for ITV to do anything else. Indeed the feed for India v Pakistan had one of the Indian wickets missing (which ITV had to source from elsewhere).

The weekday shows should be better paced, as they won't be trying to get 200 overs into 46 minutes.

Aha! Many thanks indeed for the clarification.

I meant to say in the above post - we should be most grateful to ITV for showing highlights at all, as it's great to have FTA highlights again.
  • Options
    abecernabecern Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    I hope BT get the rights to Australian cricket, or at least the Big Bash, because I expect Sky, as good as they are with their sports coverage, too expensive for most people's tastes. With BT all you need is their broadband to get the sports channels. It means their subscriber base will grow pretty quickly since more and more people will be getting broadband anyway. The sports channels are free. This could give cricket greater exposure. I have to admit though, Sky's coverage of sports be it football, cricket, etc is brilliant. They have dedicated an entire channel to the current cricket World Cup and the coverage is usually brilliant. Luckily, now they offer sports channels through NowTV, which is very flexible. Just subscribe when you need it.
  • Options
    Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So ITV managed to source one of the wickets from elsewhere but can't source anything else from other sources. Somehow i smell a rat.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame they have used the sidebars with "WORLD CUP CLASSICS" in large capitals during the archive matches. Either show them full screen (like they did with some of the older Ashes highlights in 2013) or have plain black bars which are less distracting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a bit disappointed by the amount of picture breakup so far in this World Cup. Yes I know its coming to Sky from the other side of the World but I am still disappointed.
  • Options
    lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed the same, probably doing it on the cheap. The previous games before the WC were perfect, so it's not a geographical problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So is it a Sky issue if the Sky Sports WC graphic remains on screen during a breakup of is it the host broadcaster issue?
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite clearly if the Scorebar is on screen when the picture breaks up it is a HB problem. If the scorebar was affected too more likely Sky.
  • Options
    Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to see if sky stick with Scotland tonight.
  • Options
    lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite clearly if the Scorebar is on screen when the picture breaks up it is a HB problem. If the scorebar was affected too more likely Sky.

The scorebar is generated by the HB and is affected, the channel DOG is Sky generated and is not affected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've got to hand it to Michael Vaughan - he clearly is a very canny operator. He is by far the highest profile personality who appears across Sky/BBC/Sunset and Vine outlets. Nobody else is a 'front-line' Sky pundit (and I would now class him in this camp, now he's appearing on England matches) whilst having such a high-profile presence on BBC Radio (his own 5 live show and one of the main TMS summarisers) and Channel 5's highlights.

It always used to be the case that big BBC/Sunset and Vine names wouldn't appear on Sky and you were either one or the other. Alec Stewart in recent years has done some work for both, but Vaughan is the highest profile on either side. I guess he's flying out to Australia/NZ to do BBC radio summary work later on in the tournament?

Nice to see Derek Pringle in the Sky studio this morning - I guess he has some time on his hands, now that he's been dropped by the Telegraph...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=madmusician;7715927

Nice to see Derek Pringle in the Sky studio this morning - I guess he has some time on his hands, now that he's been dropped by the Telegraph...[/QUOTE]

Writing columns for the Independent now I think
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really don't get why Vaughan is so in demand. Of the recent former england captains he is the worst pundit!
  • Options
    1066simon1066simon Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I do wish that Shane Warne would stop talking about golf.
    At times it feels like the cricket gets in the way of him telling us about his social life.
  • Options
    i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are big problems with the feeds into sky centre this morning they keep losing both of the feeds and Ian has just said this is due to a storm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    1066simon wrote: »
    I do wish that Shane Warne would stop talking about golf.
    At times it feels like the cricket gets in the way of him telling us about his social life.

I just wish Shane Warne would stop talking!
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Shane Warne is the most overrated commentator.
    So shocking he has contracts with Sky, Star, Channel 9.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »

He's not overrated. He offers brilliant insight, unfortunately it's very rare these days. It gets lost amongst the social stuff and the Australian barracking
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »

When he offers insight, he is one of the best, but he also loves to bang on about random nonsense that has zero to do with the game infront of him.
    He's certainly not the worst out there
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really don't get why Vaughan is so in demand. Of the recent former england captains he is the worst pundit!

I am a big fan of Vaughany but then I am a Yorkshire fan
    He's not overrated. He offers brilliant insight, unfortunately it's very rare these days. It gets lost amongst the social stuff and the Australian barracking

I quite agree.