Shaun Tilley. New programme controller for Sunshine Radio.

Comments

• samstone1samstone1 Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    david1956 wrote: »
    The station must be clutching at straws.

I listen to both sunshine stations because the music is so different. Both nick and Liam do great shows at Ludlow.

Will they network??
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the stations are in different defined areas under localness rules they can network, but have to have separate breakfast shows. Plus seperate features, news, traffic, ads etc during daytime.
  • BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    As the stations are in different defined areas under localness rules they can network, but have to have separate breakfast shows. Plus seperate features, news, traffic, ads etc during daytime.

Sounds complicated - think the current crew are up to it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borsant wrote: »
    Sounds complicated - think the current crew are up to it?
    The large radio groups have software to do the opt outs.
    Sadly the software reduces the need for staff And reduces running costs, with the "sacking" of staff looks like the direction the station may be going to survive?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's kind of what I'm driving at - there's fairly regular glitches and errors when the big groups do networking with their fancy software... I imagine Sunshine has much less no how and barrel bottom budgets for this sort of thing.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    You do realise this thread discussing certain events from ten years ago is against UK law and the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act?

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Açt is about what offences the offender needs to declare. It has nothing to do people not talking about the offences. Of course they need to be careful what they say is accurate and not libellous but that is a different matter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all gone a bit quiet hasn't it? Some of the comments on Ian Davies's FB page are quite amusing, particularly about Penkys old wind ups...wonder how they're going down with the stations non-partisan audience. ..
  • Dan GlebitzDan Glebitz Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I've been listening to Sunshine for the last few days as I'm working in Leominster for the past week and thought I'd tune in.

I have to say that, at best, it's a "difficult" listen.

It just seems to be full of unnecessary interruptions and chat that amounts to very little. Just talking for the sake of it.

This morning the presenter (who I think was Shane) badly crashed one of his jingles and apologised to the guv'nor on-air for doing so. Very odd.

He then talked himself into cul-de-sac saying that Donna Summer's McArthur Park was released in "healthier times" and then about 40 seconds was talking about home-brewed beer.

Musically I'm not sure who it's supposed to appeal to. It plays a few 60s, a lot of 70 & 80s, a few 90s and up to date chart hits, which to my ears is too scattergun and doesn't give enough of a defined sound.

Another annoyance is that Sunshine keeps telling us it's "proud to be local" but then has a promo for Mick Brown who I'm pretty sure doesn't live (or work) locally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been listening to Sunshine for the last few days as I'm working in Leominster for the past week and thought I'd tune in.

I have to say that, at best, it's a "difficult" listen.

It just seems to be full of unnecessary interruptions and chat that amounts to very little. Just talking for the sake of it.

This morning the presenter (who I think was Shane) badly crashed one of his jingles and apologised to the guv'nor on-air for doing so. Very odd.

He then talked himself into cul-de-sac saying that Donna Summer's McArthur Park was released in "healthier times" and then about 40 seconds was talking about home-brewed beer.

Musically I'm not sure who it's supposed to appeal to. It plays a few 60s, a lot of 70 & 80s, a few 90s and up to date chart hits, which to my ears is too scattergun and doesn't give enough of a defined sound.

Another annoyance is that Sunshine keeps telling us it's "proud to be local" but then has a promo for Mick Brown who I'm pretty sure doesn't live (or work) locally.

Oh dear Dan...bet you're rueing the day you accepted that work contract in Leominster!

As they are not RAJAR counted, we will never know what affect Shauns changes are having, but it does sound as if it's all unravelling a bit.

Penky's old wind-ups were trumpeted at the relaunch...did you hear any of those going out? I'm not sure the tone of them is 'of our times' anymore and would be interested to know how they sound in context.

Yes I'm confused about the choice of Mick, who clearly has a very cockney voice. Unless he built up some kind of local following during his stint on Gold perhaps?
    Forum Member
    Oh dear Dan...bet you're rueing the day you accepted that work contract in Leominster!

As they are not RAJAR counted, we will never know what affect Shauns changes are having, but it does sound as if it's all unravelling a bit.

Penky's old wind-ups were trumpeted at the relaunch...did you hear any of those going out? I'm not sure the tone of them is 'of our times' anymore and would be interested to know how they sound in context.

Yes I'm confused about the choice of Mick, who clearly has a very cockney voice. Unless he built up some kind of local following during his stint on Gold perhaps?

I've been listening with an open mind and trying to like it, but with so many stations in this market (Heart, Free Radio and the BBC) it's going to be hard for stations like Sunshine.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why they would want to play the "local" card but there's a world of difference between 'saying' you're local and actually being local.

As a quick aside I remember hearing Mick Brown on Capital back in the 90s, but I'm not sure anyone around here would?!

And just because someone was a hot-shot on a big station years ago doesn't mean they'll automatically work well in a quiet place like Leominster 20 years later.

Even the girls here in the office tell me they aren't listening as much now. Most have opted for Jagger and Woody instead.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised and not a little disappointed by the mischief making on this thread, particularly by one of one particular poster of whom I'd previously had a high opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    I've been listening with an open mind and trying to like it, but with so many stations in this market (Heart, Free Radio and the BBC) it's going to be hard for stations like Sunshine.

Don't get me wrong, I can see why they would want to play the "local" card but there's a world of difference between 'saying' you're local and actually being local.

As a quick aside I remember hearing Mick Brown on Capital back in the 90s, but I'm not sure anyone around here would?!

And just because someone was a hot-shot on a big station years ago doesn't mean they'll automatically work well in a quiet place like Leominster 20 years later.

Even the girls here in the office tell me they aren't listening as much now. Most have opted for Jagger and Woody instead.

Some very sound observations there and (perhaps unsurprisingly) I completely agree with you.

The anoraks won't though and as they make up the majority of posters in this forum expect a lot of flak (with no sound arguments or industry knowledge to back any of it up)! ;-)
  • radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    The Rehabilitation of Offenders Açt is about what offences the offender needs to declare. It has nothing to do people not talking about the offences. Of course they need to be careful what they say is accurate and not libellous but that is a different matter.

No you are wrong, it protects people from gossiping over things that happened years ago, that are now SPENT and have no bearing on his job, particularly if done in a mocking kind and in a way designed to cause stress and anxiety.
  • 989989 Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the reasons I listen to Sunshine is the wide variety of music which I prefer.

I don't have a problem with Mick Brown's show or his London accent, I enjoy the music he plays. As far as having 'southern' accents on Sunshine, I fondly remember Geoff Dorset's great weekend shows on Sunshine back in 83/84, "Geoff Dorset in the Deckchair" and Geoff's great music knowledge and trivia.
  • houseofcackhouseofcack Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    I see (hear) that Steve Penk and Mick Brown have been quietly dropped. Matt Healey on both sunshines on Sunday afternoon now.

Hoping a daytime presented for 855 is on the cards soon!
  • VictorianVictorian Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I see (hear) that Steve Penk and Mick Brown have been quietly dropped. Matt Healey on both sunshines on Sunday afternoon now.

Agree re the second point- can we have Adie James back please.
    Forum Member
    Assuming Adie actually wants to go back?

I fear 855 is being hung out to dry...
    Forum Member
    Assuming Adie actually wants to go back?

I fear 855 is being hung out to dry...

Another good point re Adie-I didn't realise I would miss him until he wasn't there any more. Two hours of non stop music in the middle of the day doesn't do it for me.

I fear you could be right re the second point too. Is it the curse of FM? Ironically things seemed better when they were on AM only.
    Forum Member
    Victorian wrote: »
    Another good point re Adie-I didn't realise I would miss him until he wasn't there any more. Two hours of non stop music in the middle of the day doesn't do it for me.

I fear you could be right re the second point too. Is it the curse of FM? Ironically things seemed better when they were on AM only.

You have to wonder why they didnt put Adie on Drive? He's better than Liam. Things were defiantely better pre-FM.. (You could argue 855 still sounds better than the awful processing on 105.9!)
    Forum Member
    I always wondered if Adie had another job. He never seemed to work bank holidays or weekends unlike Nick who is there nearly as much as Shaun Tilley is now on the H & M service (who seem to be the priority these days.)

I have only heard 105.9 once and it did sound very harsh- definitely not pleasant to listen to. I am glad 855 is still going- tuned in in Wiltshire last week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmm both of them are still on the website, maybe they are still part of the 'New sound of Sunshine'?

Can't imagine Shaun would ditch two such major signings as Brown and Penk, just like that.
    Forum Member
    Hmmm both of them are still on the website, maybe they are still part of the 'New sound of Sunshine'?

Can't imagine Shaun would ditch two such major signings as Brown and Penk, just like that.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that those wind up calls have now been stopped because I haven't heard one on Sunshine for the last couple of times when I've tuned in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But aren't they syndicated programming rather than major signings?
    The important thing will be to get the breakfast and drive shows effective if Sunshine is to survive as an independent radio group?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The important thing will be to get the breakfast and drive shows effective if Sunshine is to survive as an independent radio group?
    Victorian wrote: »
    Two hours of non stop music in the middle of the day doesn't do it for me.
    A lot of listeners will not mind non stop music if the selection is good and they still get local news and traffic reports.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »

I don't think audiences know the difference and presumably they were brought in because of their profile - Penky being a national TV presenter in the day.

Agree with your second point completely, but it'll be very difficult to get right with no RAJAR.