Jack Straw and Malcom Rifkind caught taking cash for accesses

Comments

• debidebi Posts: 3,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When this was announced my initial though was yawn yawn here we go again. I am surprised at how upset everyone gets at these 'revelations'. Haven't we all come to expect this from politicans? Not that I am saying it is right but whilst there is one rule for them and one for the others I cannot see any of it changing.

I am still gobsmacked at how a politician can keep his job in the face of criminal allegations when anyone else would be suspended? Even smoking! I was recently a guest at a House of Commons reception in the Members dining room....politicians can smoke in Westminster! We can't but they can...just one petty example of how life is for them and how it is for us.
  • Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack Straw on £5000 a day?????

Christ.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    MPs should be encouraged to have outside interests so they don't become career politicians.

Come off it, many don't get real jobs anyway.

It's figure head jobs enhanced by political association half the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Come off it, they don't get real jobs anyway.

They would be perfect candidates for a Haribo ad though :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9scm3NCIH_E
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say some caution is needed about the timing and breaking of this story and what it intends to divert from and bury.

Sure, it's possibly deeply unpleasant, though apparently not criminal, but it doesn't deserve to drown out everything else going on.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say some caution is needed about the timing and breaking of this story and what it intends to divert from and bury.

Sure, it's possibly deeply unpleasant, though apparently not criminal, but it doesn't deserve to drown out everything else going on.

Also, it hasn't been proved yet that they've done anything contrary to MPs rules.
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member

What do you think they're trying to bury?
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes me sick watching him, "I charge 5k a day" like its penny.

And he had rules changed.

He should see prison time for this. Both of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    What do you think they're trying to bury?

No idea, but the news agenda has certainly been switched and the number one Tory supporting media outlet is involved.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    Quite.

The class of professional politician is a curse on the system. We need the brightest and the best, and the brightest and the best will earn far far more than the basic MP's salary.
    More than ever we need successful business people with careers in the privates sector. They know far more about the real world than any bleeding heart ex-human rights barrister.

Shows your bias
    And that you portray barristers who do the right thing as "bleeding heart"!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea, but the news agenda has certainly been switched and the number one Tory supporting media outlet is involved.

Smoke and mirrors I would say with a bit of spin added in for good measure hmmmm raised eyebrow (what happened to the roll eyes smilie?)
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Channel 4's Dispatches programme is the number one Tory-supporting media outlet, is it?
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    It occured to me a couple of weeks ago that Cameron should wheel the Whips into his office and instruct them to make it bloody clear to every Tory MP that they should avoid doing anything in the period running up to Election Day that would bring the party into disrepute.

Too late now...... :blush:
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    Ed Miliband has repeated his call from 2 years ago for MP's to not have outside directorships and consultancies. Says it'll be in Labour's manifesto. He's handled this really well IMO: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/feb/23/miliband-cameron-clamp-down-mps-outside-interests-cash-for-access

Amusingly Tony Blair has defended Straw. You couldn't make it up!

Little Ed thinks that MPs should go straight from University to working for the party.
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    MPs should be encouraged to have outside interests so they don't become career politicians. Poor Miliband would be lucky to get a job as a street vendor in the outside world.

Yes and they can of course have other jobs BEFORE they get in to politics. Don't misconstrue what Ed was saying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4's Dispatches programme is the number one Tory-supporting media outlet, is it?

No, the Telegraph is.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shows your bias

Gareth Pierce is a barrister & look at some of the people she's defended !
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shows your bias

No, it shows I have my head screwed on. The Labour benches are stuffed with Harman clones.

The vast majority of MPs haven't the faintest idea of commerce, especially the newer intakes.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    It turns out that Sleazemaster $traw also has another dubious dirty deal on the go with a regime that has a relatively poor human rights record:

Jack Straw criticised for accepting part-time job paid for by Kazakhstan
    Jack Straw has come under fire from human rights groups after accepting a part-time job paid for by the government of Kazakhstan, a dictatorship which has been ruled by the same man since 1989, and where freedom of speech is heavily restricted. According to the most recent Register of Members’ Interests, the former Home Secretary will earn £12,500 a year serving as an adviser to the Eurasian Council on Foreign Affairs (ECFA), which was set up using a generous grant from the Kazakhstan government.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/jack-straw-criticised-for-accepting-parttime-job-paid-for-by-kazakhstan-10057426.html

It is perhaps possible that members of the public might come to the conclusion that $traw has abandoned any principles in the pursuit of ca$h and that he just might be a bit on the gr££dy side - surely not?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    Also, it hasn't been proved yet that they've done anything contrary to MPs rules.
    Sounds just like MP expenses
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MPs should be encouraged to have outside interests so they don't become career politicians. Poor Miliband would be lucky to get a job as a street vendor in the outside world.
    MPs should have a career BEFORE becoming MPs, which they can use to "keep in touch" with reality. They shouldn't be using their position as MPs to feather their own nests
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    MPs should have a career BEFORE becoming MPs, which they can use to "keep in touch" with reality. They shouldn't be using their position as MPs to feather their own nests

As long as there aren't any conflicts of interests then I have no problem with an MP earning extra money from a secondary job. Would you be against an MP who is a doctor continuing to practice medicine in order to keep their skills current? There are several MPs who are also GPs who continue to take surgeries. It also helps them keep connected to what is happening in the NHS.

Also, I would have no problem with an MP making money from journalism and media work - again as long as there is no conflict and it is all declared. Or do yo think that MPs should appear on TV shows, give after dinner speeches and write newspaper articles for free? What is wrong with an MP who comes from academia keeping up their research interests?

An MPs salary may sound a lot of money to some people but you aren't going to attract highly experienced professionals from the law, medicine or business if they have to cut off all of their other sources of income when they get elected.
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    No, it shows I have my head screwed on. The Labour benches are stuffed with Harman clones.

The vast majority of MPs haven't the faintest idea of commerce, especially the newer intakes.
    Shows your bias and you don't even see how
    Seems liken any do know about commerce as they are selling their service to bidders like Straw, Rifkind and the rest
  • alaninmcralaninmcr Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes me sick watching him, "I charge 5k a day" like its penny.

And he had rules changed.

He should see prison time for this. Both of them.

There is the crime of malfeasance/misfeasance/misconduct in public office, for which the maximum sentence is life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alaninmcr wrote: »
    There is the crime of malfeasance/misfeasance/misconduct in public office, for which the maximum sentence is life.

Perfect as I have just heard that Sir Malcolm Rifkind has plenty of free time and likes to read, plenty of time in prison for that! He obviously hasn't read Jeffrey Archers diary! :D

How can a politician admit to having plenty of free time when they are elected to serve pretty big constituency! If he has free time I suggest he is not doing his job properly!