Options

St George's Day

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    St George is a patron saint that is shared with numerous other countries, just because you couldn't care less about St George's Day doesn't mean you hate England. I think every country has its share of small-minded nationalists, including England.

Funny thing is as he was Greek (In the Roman Army) if most who want St Georges Day becasuse of English Pride met him in the street would be abusive towards him and think he should piss off back where he came from.
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People tend to get upset as england is supposed to be a multicultural country. If other parts of Britain can support there own day then why can't England?
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    People tend to get upset as england is supposed to be a multicultural country. If other parts of Britain can support there own day then why can't England?

Exactly. All of the other UK nations celebrate their nationality, but if the English try it, they are accused of racism.>:(
  • Options
    TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people cared enough then we'd have it. Most people in England couldn't even tell you what day it was.

Anyway, it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny thing is as he was Greek (In the Roman Army) if most who want St Georges Day becasuse of English Pride met him in the street would be abusive towards him and think he should piss off back where he came from.

A Greek Christian born in Palestine who served in the Roman army, it's all rather multicultural when you think about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Exactly. All of the other UK nations celebrate their nationality, but if the English try it, they are accused of racism.>:(

I couldn't care less about the other national days in the other nations either.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. Let's have it.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Yes. I think St George's Day and St David's day should be bank holidays like St Patrick's Day and St Andrew's Day. The UK is a diverse multicultural society now but there's nothing wrong in having a day to note each country's history and culture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I think St George's Day and St David's day should be bank holidays like St Patrick's Day and St Andrew's Day. We're a diverse multicultural society now but there's nothing wrong in having a day to note each country's history and culture.

We could celebrate England's history and culture without it being on St George's day since he has sod all to do with England, because England didn't even exist when he was alive.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    We could celebrate England's history and culture without it being on St George's day since St George has sod all to do with England, because England didn't even exist when he was alive.

I'm Scottish, I know sod all about St George. Point is, it's nice to have a day to note your country's traditions, history and culture. Have it whenever you want, it's just generally easier to link it to something already recognised. Like how Christmas evolved to tie in with pagan winter festivals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Scottish, I know sod all about St George. Point is, it's nice to have a day to note your country's traditions, history and culture. Have it whenever you want, it's just generally easier to link it to something already recognised. Like how Christmas evolved to tie in with pagan winter festivals.

I think most English people know sod all about St George too.

It would probably make sense to have a midsummer celebration, the Anglo-Saxons did before they were converted to Christianity. Other countries with Germanic traditions such as Sweden still celebrate midsummer- the Swedes get spectacularly shitfaced. Besides, I like summer more than April.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people in England are CofE, and CofE don't do saints, so St. George's Day should not be celebrated as a Saint's day.

William Shakespeare, England's greatest ever playwright was born on St. George's Day, so we should celebrate the day, but call it Shakespeare's Birthday rather than St. George's Day.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    st geroge wasnt english.....

'these mors, coming over here, making themselves our national saint.....'

id rather have may day off.....

BIB St Patrick wasn't Irish and St Andrew wasn't Scots. What's your point?
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    No.

An idiotic concept, celebrating an idiotic concept, celebrating an idiotic concept.

Seems to be good enough for the Irish though, who celebrate their national day with gusto, along with all the plastic paddys. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Most people in England are CofE, and CofE don't do saints, so St. George's Day should not be celebrated as a Saint's day.

William Shakespeare, England's greatest ever playwright was born on St. George's Day, so we should celebrate the day, but call it Shakespeare's Birthday rather than St. George's Day.

BIB Then why are so many CoE churches and schools named after saints? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be good enough for the Irish though, who celebrate their national day with gusto, along with all the plastic paddys. :p

It's an excuse to get pissed, nothing more. :)
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    A Greek Christian born in Palestine who served in the Roman army, it's all rather multicultural when you think about it.

He never even set foot in this part of the world and if he did during that part of history he would have being part of a invading force.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB St Patrick wasn't Irish and St Andrew wasn't Scots. What's your point?

It doesn't matter where they came from really, it's what the day represents. A day of celebrating your homeland. Ideally in a non- racist way. Again, the Irish (and all their descendents-who aren't Irish) seem to manage it, and encourage it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB Then why are so many CoE churches and schools named after saints? :confused:

Let's not get pedantic over this. How many 'Irish' revelers on St Paddy's day are actually staunch Catholics??:D maybe if the day was reduced to being all about catholic idolatry, and less about drinking, far fewer would acknowledge it haha.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter where they came from really, it's what the day represents. A day of celebrating your homeland. Ideally in a non- racist way. Again, the Irish (and all their descendents-who aren't Irish) seem to manage it, and encourage it.

I don't think most people give it much thought really.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Precisely. I was answering another poster who seemed to think that as St George wasn't English we shouldn't have a celebration.

TBH, I'd like a celebration day or something of the sort in the last quarter of the year. Most Bank Holidays seem to fall closely together and then there's nothing from August to Christmas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's not get pedantic over this. How many 'Irish' revelers on St Paddy's day are actually staunch Catholics??:D maybe if the day was reduced to being all about catholic idolatry, and less about drinking, far fewer would acknowledge it haha.

Exactly, celebrating real Irish culture has got nothing to do with it really.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oops!! Foot-in-mouth award of the day!! There are plenty of Irish who are Protestants!!! (Dare I mention the Troubles?) ;-) ;-) ;-)

:D
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Celebrating" our history sounds rather vague. If there were actual ways of marking the day, eg. on St Patrick's you get drunk, on the 4th of July you watch fireworks, I may be more more amenable to the idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's a good thing we don't celebrate it. It shows that we are beyond the vulgar displays of in your face patriotism of our Irish and American friends.:D