Options

Plusnet

Comments

• Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    My upload speed almost halved yesterday & it's still the same today. Just 0.46Mbps compared to 0.81Mbps when the service started last Friday.

I'm still within the 10 day DLM period, so I'll wait to see how it goes.

I notice that the instructions with the router tell you to not switch it off over this 10 day period, which conflicts with the Plusnet support page, which tells you the exact opposite..."You can help the testing process by rebooting your router (switch it off and on again) three or four times over the first 10 days. You'll get better results if you can do this in the morning."

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/speed_basics.shtml#speedChanges

That certainly conflicts with what the BT / Openreach guy told me (I.E. never turn it off).
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    That certainly conflicts with what the BT / Openreach guy told me (I.E. never turn it off).

I've never turned off my router when i was with virgin they told me to never turn off the superhub, and when i switched to plusnet the openreach engineer told me to always leave my router and modem switched on as constantly turning it off will make the dlm think there's a fault and will greatly reduce my speeds.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My upload speed almost halved yesterday & it's still the same today. Just 0.46Mbps compared to 0.81Mbps when the service started last Friday.

I'm still within the 10 day DLM period, so I'll wait to see how it goes.

I notice that the instructions with the router tell you to not switch it off over this 10 day period, which conflicts with the Plusnet support page, which tells you the exact opposite..."You can help the testing process by rebooting your router (switch it off and on again) three or four times over the first 10 days. You'll get better results if you can do this in the morning."

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/speed_basics.shtml#speedChanges

4. Be aware of how your speed can vary in the first 10 days

During the first 10 days of service, you'll probably notice slight variations in speed. As we don't (at first) know exactly how fast your line can go, your line will be tested to help us find out. The aim is to find the best balance between speed and reliability for your line. You may also get disconnected a few times (don't worry, your router should reconnect immediately).

After 10 days your line will settle down and speeds should become more consistent. You'll still see small changes occasionally but these are normal and nothing to worry about.

This is from plusnet fibre trouble shooting guide, nothing about rebooting router there and to be honest it will not make a difference, it is the modem you would have to reboot, not the router.

Mine is now up to 17Mb/s, download, upload is 4, so it is getting there. No idea why it takes so long mind you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    4. Be aware of how your speed can vary in the first 10 days

During the first 10 days of service, you'll probably notice slight variations in speed. As we don't (at first) know exactly how fast your line can go, your line will be tested to help us find out. The aim is to find the best balance between speed and reliability for your line. You may also get disconnected a few times (don't worry, your router should reconnect immediately).

After 10 days your line will settle down and speeds should become more consistent. You'll still see small changes occasionally but these are normal and nothing to worry about.

This is from plusnet fibre trouble shooting guide, nothing about rebooting router there and to be honest it will not make a difference, it is the modem you would have to reboot, not the router.

Mine is now up to 17Mb/s, download, upload is 4, so it is getting there. No idea why it takes so long mind you.

the only thing that have annoyed me is I had a phone call this evening from a windows sales company. How the hell did you get that number i asked? It is on a list, they said. How? This number is new, unless someone else had it. I told her to delete it off her list and after today it will not be answered anyway as there will be no phone connected to it.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    I want to leave talk talk, they are absolutely USELESS !!!
    Are plusnet any better ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Are plusnet any better ?

I will let you know in a around ten days.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are plusnet any better ?

Whats the problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are plusnet any better ?

Plusnet are great imo.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Whats the problem?

the customer service is nothing short of abysmal.
    i have been getting less than 5mb of download speeds for the past 2 weeks, its usually between 40-50mbps. and upload is usually 19mbps, its now down to 0.60 !!
    everything takes so long to resolve, i had an engineer round in the week and there is 'no problem in the home' this then got escalated to the 'network team' who forget to call me so i have to go on a talk talk forum to keep reminding them, get a call today from a man in england, who says i will be charged by a open reach engineer to reset my connection as its ''probably'' slow because i switched the open reach router off at nighttimes.

similar to the confusion earlier in this very thread about switching it on and off, BUT when it was installed by the engineer i was told switching it off was absolutely 'fine', the same by talk talk staff in the far away land call centre.

so this idiot on the phone then says i leave it on till next week, if theres no change then he will send engineer.
    utterly abysmal service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy now, i went from

0 Mbps 39.86 Mbps
    Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 16.63 Mbps
    For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 31.89 Mbps-39.86 Mbps .
    Additional Information:
    IP Profile for your line is - 39.86 Mbps

To

Download speedachieved during the test was - 35.48 Mbps
    For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 31.89 Mbps-39.86 Mbps .
    Additional Information:
    IP Profile for your line is - 39.86 Mbps

so all fine now, not sure if it was something Plusnet did when I sent them a message or if unplugging and plugging the the ethernet cable from the modem to plug my computer directly in, done something. Maybe the BT man did not connect it tightly.

fine now if it stays like this I will be happy, be happy with 24, but 35 is better.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From ordering, what's the average time it takes to change over to Plusnet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It took about 4 weeks for me, but then it was not done via Mac and was a completely new install.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the customer service is nothing short of abysmal.
    i have been getting less than 5mb of download speeds for the past 2 weeks, its usually between 40-50mbps. and upload is usually 19mbps, its now down to 0.60 !!
    everything takes so long to resolve, i had an engineer round in the week and there is 'no problem in the home' this then got escalated to the 'network team' who forget to call me so i have to go on a talk talk forum to keep reminding them, get a call today from a man in england, who says i will be charged by a open reach engineer to reset my connection as its ''probably'' slow because i switched the open reach router off at nighttimes.

similar to the confusion earlier in this very thread about switching it on and off, BUT when it was installed by the engineer i was told switching it off was absolutely 'fine', the same by talk talk staff in the far away land call centre.

so this idiot on the phone then says i leave it on till next week, if theres no change then he will send engineer.
    utterly abysmal service.
    Just to confirm, you are supposed to leave ADSL broadband turned on for best stability.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Just to confirm, you are supposed to leave ADSL broadband turned on for best stability.

He have FTTC.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ordered online on 11th Feb.

Due to Sky promising to email me my MAC the same day, but then being told 2 days later that they never give out MAC's by email, I didn't submit my MAC until 13th.

I was told the same day by Plusnet that my ADSL broadband is due to go live on 21st.

It actually went live a day earlier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Due to Sky promising to email me my MAC the same day, but then being told 2 days later that they never give out MAC's by email, I didn't submit my MAC until 13th.

I was told the same day by Plusnet that my ADSL broadband is due to go live on 21st.

Sorry, I have no idea why I put four weeks, it was not that long, I ordered on the 8th and got it up and running on tuesday, so it was two weeks and a bit.
    I was thinking about my bills for some reason :)

I am using FTTC, so it was not too bad, maybe it just felt like 4 weeks:)

Apart from the slow speed to start with, it not been too bad, better now. i keep doing speed tests to make sure it is still working, I will stop that at some point :)
  • Options
    rjmachinrjmachin Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Noise,

Have you noticed any effect from the Traffic Management yet?

Or do you not notice it with Fibre?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rjmachin wrote: »
    Hi Noise,

A bit early to say yet, but so far no. i am going to download a Linux distro using torrent soon, so will see then.

that is once my computer decide to flipping update
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Noise,

After having to reinstall windows 8.1 because it would not update, I downloaded a linux ISO using Utorrent, no slow down at all, 4.2MB/s so fine by the looks of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Took me 8 weeks but that was stupid talktalks fault who claimed they owned the line when infact they didn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Noise,

Been with plusnet for 6 months my average usage is close to 1tb a month and i haven't noticed any traffic management, i'm with their 78mbs fibre service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    It took about 4 weeks for me, but then it was not done via Mac and was a completely new install.

gother wrote: »
    Took me 8 weeks but that was stupid talktalks fault who claimed they owned the line when infact they didn't.
    Thanks. I am going to take the plunge and order from them on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I am going to take the plunge and order from them on Wednesday.

My mistake, not 4 weeks, but just over 2 weeks. thinking of something else.

I know i only had this for a few days, but i am as happy as larry with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how often the casback deals come around? I've noticed that it's an Amazon gift voucher today.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how often the casback deals come around? I've noticed that it's an Amazon gift voucher today.
    Those cashback offers are a bit annoying, as you don't know what the next offer will be. Sometimes there are no offers at all.

At the beginning of the year there were no cashback offers at all on the ADSL broadband package. Luckily there's a countdown timer on the website, so I waited until the next offer started, which was £50 cashback, so ordered the same day.

Considering you can buy almost anything on Amazon, then a £75 voucher sounds good to me.