Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found this also on facebook "EXCULSUIVE martin clunes aka doc martin will be filming at newquay airport tomorrow and thursday" here's the link to the profile. https://www.facebook.com/jen.h.telfer

Yikes! Wonder what he could be doing at the airport? Seeing mummy off perhaps? Maybe he makes peace with her and has a heartfelt send-off for her?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Conniej wrote: »

Appears he can con not only the elderly but also the very young (56 year old with a bride of 23:eek:). That's mean. I guess the "pitchfork brigade" is somewhat active in Port Isaac as well as in Portwenn. And the writer and photographer have to bear some of the blame for reporting in such a weird way -- they're all over the place. Do we really need to see him with his dog or hear that this season of Doc Martin will likely be the last or know the age of his wife and child?
    Forum Member
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    But some of that might have been accomplished with the help of a make-up artist. And I think she herself commented about playing those characters older than herself. There are those people who just don't look their real age - look at Dick Clark - he looked young his whole life.

Do you remember how she looked at the Portwenn Players dance in S1E4? Lots of rouge and looking very florid. Not nice!! I like her best when she's selling cabbages from her truck or out in the chicken coop with a mannish looking vest on. She's a worthy woman rather than a fashion plate.
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Very well said, Mofromco. I think part of the brilliance of this show is in the casting (well, of course, MC). MC and CC have such amazing on-screen chemistry. Neither is perfect, physically speaking. They aren't Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe. But there's something that happens when they share a scene in this show, a sweet scene or an argument. Either way, it's wonderful. I think they're both just wonderful actors and they mesh so very well.

We women adore the Doc and the fellows love Louisa. And we're all rooting for this mixed-up couple. It's all just right.

Okay, so this is the second reference to Louisa's imperfect body. You guys are a tough crowd. What exactly is wrong with her? I think she moves like someone who studied ballet as a young person. Everything is in the right proportion. The calves which her dress lengths seem to feature, are toned and lovely. My favourite things about Louisa are her pixy-ish ears. Her eyes show her softness, and her mouth is a lovely shape (like it is ready to have things coming out of it that you would be interested in hearing). Her hands are somewhat fidgety, but if you ever see CC in an interview, hers are much moreso. Her voice sort of sounds like a corncrake sometimes, but there is a charm about that too. No complaints here about the physicality of Louisa.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, so this is the second reference to Louisa's imperfect body. You guys are a tough crowd. What exactly is wrong with her? I think she moves like someone who studied ballet as a young person. Everything is in the right proportion. The calves which her dress lengths seem to feature, are toned and lovely. My favourite things about Louisa are her pixy-ish ears. Her eyes show her softness, and her mouth is a lovely shape (like it is ready to have things coming out of it that you would be interested in hearing). Her hands are somewhat fidgety, but if you ever see CC in an interview, hers are much moreso. Her voice sort of sounds like a corncrake sometimes, but there is a charm about that too. No complaints here about the physicality of Louisa.

You are so right poorrichard. We are operating from our society induced deprecating point of view. I apologies for being that way. It certainly has played havoc with many of ours self esteem.

I also apologise for not labeling my last post a spoiler alert. Maybe some will just gloss over it...I hope...sorry
    Forum Member
    Claire Bloom returns!! The big reveal was shared during a period when I hadn't checked the forum for a few days, so I need to respond now and say that that's just so cooooool!! It's not so much that I like Margaret Ellingham, but I do like to see cameo characters return (this seemed to happen much more often in the early seasons with Roger Fenn, Peter Cronk and Stewart the Park ranger being three of my favourite repeat appearances -- Clive is welcome back too IMO, and he is a season 4 and 5 recurrent character). What that does is give us the sense that community life goes on in Portwenn and, with family, in the lives of our principal characters, even when we are not watching. Can't wait to see how Margaret turns up and what happens when she does. I do hope they will tame that hair a bit for filming the scenes she is in; she was such a well-tailored woman in her last appearance. I always felt it such a sad scene when Louisa shows up at Martin's door, immediately after his mother has eviscerated him, and says "and I heard your parents are in town. If you need somebody to moan to, I know what parents are like..." And he responds with "shut up!" Is it too much to hope that we will see Martin and Louisa actually having that conversation about their parents and being drawn together as two sad orphans in the world? Do you think Margaret comes for the wedding? Do you think she brings the Portugese boyfriend with her? If there is a reconciliation, maybe it's because the Portugese boyfriend who was willing to cheat WITH her has begun to cheat ON her, which is often the way, and as a result she has begun to value a little more the family she has gained through her marriage to Christopher rather than the experiences of which her staying in that marriage have deprived her. What a coup to get Claire Bloom CBE once, and to get her twice really adds prestige and gravitas to a show the British reviewers still insist on seeing as a fluffy little dramedy. This is such good news!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    LOL! Leanne! Are you a closet "The Office" (US version) fan?

Back about season 2-3 of that show I was an occasional contributor to a forum for the show. They had sub-forums and my favorite was called, "John Krasinski - I'd Climb Him Like a Tree!"

That's what she said. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claire Bloom returns!! The big reveal was shared during a period when I hadn't checked the forum for a few days, so I need to respond now and say that that's just so cooooool!! It's not so much that I like Margaret Ellingham, but I do like to see cameo characters return (this seemed to happen much more often in the early seasons with Roger Fenn, Peter Cronk and Stewart the Park ranger being three of my favourite repeat appearances -- Clive is welcome back too IMO, and he is a season 4 and 5 recurrent character). What that does is give us the sense that community life goes on in Portwenn and, with family, in the lives of our principal characters, even when we are not watching. Can't wait to see how Margaret turns up and what happens when she does. I do hope they will tame that hair a bit for filming the scenes she is in; she was such a well-tailored woman in her last appearance. I always felt it such a sad scene when Louisa shows up at Martin's door, immediately after his mother has eviscerated him, and says "and I heard your parents are in town. If you need somebody to moan to, I know what parents are like..." And he responds with "shut up!" Is it too much to hope that we will see Martin and Louisa actually having that conversation about their parents and being drawn together as two sad orphans in the world? Do you think Margaret comes for the wedding? Do you think she brings the Portugese boyfriend with her? If there is a reconciliation, maybe it's because the Portugese boyfriend who was willing to cheat WITH her has begun to cheat ON her, which is often the way, and as a result she has begun to value a little more the family she has gained through her marriage to Christopher rather than the experiences of which her staying in that marriage have deprived her. What a coup to get Claire Bloom CBE once, and to get her twice really adds prestige and gravitas to a show the British reviewers still insist on seeing as a fluffy little dramedy. This is such good news!
    I agree, poorrichard. I think this is one of the most exciting bits of news I've heard about S6 (well, next to that other little thing -- you know, that wedding thing :)). I just think there's so much potential with the return of Margaret Ellingham. Yes, maybe Portugese boyfriend left her or cheated on her or otherwise devastated her, leading to Margaret re-evaluating her life, what's important, what family might mean to her, etc.

And it could be that she's heard through some grapevine or another that she's now a grandmother and perhaps that has slammed some sense of family and emotion into her formerly creepy, self-centered, cruel brain. The potential is there in S6 for some real healing for Martin, or a reconciliation, or an emotional breakthrough (maybe even expressing in words the pain of his childhood or venting some real anger and/or hurt toward Mummy), and for him to actually open up and talk to Louisa about his childhood, which hopefully will lead to her doing the same.

In other words, as you said, real communication between these two.

Fantastic! I was impatient before. Now I'm not sure if I'll survive the wait! Bringing back Mummy Dearest is sheer genius!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, poorrichard. I think this is one of the most exciting bits of news I've heard about S6 (well, next to that other little thing -- you know, that wedding thing :)). I just think there's so much potential with the return of Margaret Ellingham. Yes, maybe Portugese boyfriend left her or cheated on her or otherwise devastated her, leading to Margaret re-evaluating her life, what's important, what family might mean to her, etc.

And it could be that she's heard through some grapevine or another that she's now a grandmother and perhaps that has slammed some sense of family and emotion into her formerly creepy, self-centered, cruel brain. The potential is there in S6 for some real healing for Martin, or a reconciliation, or an emotional breakthrough (maybe even expressing in words the pain of his childhood or venting some real anger and/or hurt toward Mummy), and for him to actually open up and talk to Louisa about his childhood, which hopefully will lead to her doing the same.

In other words, as you said, real communication between these two.

Fantastic! I was impatient before. Now I'm not sure if I'll survive the wait! Bringing back Mummy Dearest is sheer genius!

N
    So poorrichard and biffpup are you excited now? This is going to be so amazing. Lots of real acting chops here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

I wonder what MC/DM is holding. Some kind of fruit? :eek:;):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, there's absolutely nothing wrong with her. Or him either. I just mean that neither of them is Hollywood-looking, all loaded up with glam and make-up and sexy clothes and looking so perfect that you wonder what kind of "work" they've had done. They look like real people. Okay, real attractive people, no doubt. But real. I probably didn't phrase it very well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    I wonder what MC/DM is holding. Some kind of fruit? :eek:;):D

I've seen him holding that in other on-location shots in PI. I've wondered what it is. Looks like a potato ;) !

Next person from this forum who goes to PI to watch filming, ask Martin if you can hold his potato :p .

Maybe it's a case for his expensive sunglasses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    N
    So poorrichard and biffpup are you excited now? This is going to be so amazing. Lots of real acting chops here.
    Absolutely!!! I can barely contain myself. And now I'm wondering if anyone else from the past might show up. Still wishing for Roger Fenn, but I have a feeling we'll never see him again. Of course, I never in a million years expected Margaret Ellingham to suddenly pop up!
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    :eek::eek: Amazing! :eek::eek:
    I guess she has turned over a new leaf and JH hasn't ruined her life by being born. Very, very intriguing! I just hope she doesn't have the same kind of effect on LG and DM that Eleanor did.
    If LGE knew what we know she'd let Mrs Tishell walk JH before DM's mother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »

No kidding!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, no all of you. Margaret Ellingham is damaged goods...destroyed by that SOB Chrisopher. If there is another chance here it must be allowed . Most of the characters, no matter how heinous or dysfunctional (DM) have been given another chance. I'm sure it will be given now. This is nowhere near as trite as giving Sally Tishell an opportunity to care for JH. God, am I getting carried away......
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Yikes! Wonder what he could be doing at the airport? Seeing mummy off perhaps? Maybe he makes peace with her and has a heartfelt send-off for her?

Folks, please put these type of episode revealing comments in spoilers. Thank you!
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    No, no all of you. Margaret Ellingham is damaged goods...destroyed by that SOB Chrisopher. If there is another chance here it must be allowed . Most of the characters, no matter how heinous or dysfunctional (DM) have been given another chance. I'm sure it will be given now. This is nowhere near as trite as giving Sally Tishell an opportunity to care for JH. God, am I getting carried away......

No problem you're among friends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem you're among friends.

Thanks everyone.....
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Folks, please put these type of episode revealing comments in spoilers. Thank you!

Oops - sorry. Got carried away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone! New video up at www.docmartinonline.net

I'm very much looking forward to coming back to the UK and Port Isaac and meeting Doc Martin fans. If any one would like to be interviewed as a DM fan and you're going to be around London or Cornwall over the next three weeks, then please email me at [email protected]

I'm doing whatever I can to make sure that the site is kept regularly up-to-date from here on. If you want to submit photos or have any hot tips about the show that should be on DMO - please shoot me a quick email.

Cheers!

DR
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Yes, I agree!

I think our best view of DM standing up if LG/JH was threatened was when he did exactly that after the headmaster pushed LG down on the beach when in his porphyria delusion he was making the kids clean the rocks. DM was immediately affronted and stood up and called him out on it, and if the man had continued in his belligerence, I feel its obvious DM was going to stand between him and LG, no matter what happened.

Instead, the headmaster walked into the sea, and it was the grandest glory of DM to walk right in after him, saving his life.

We all know DM suffered violence at the hand of his father as a thin, frail child we saw in his dream. No doubt that was horribly painful. I can certainly think DM runs away from, or freezes at the possibility of violence, from the embedded trauma of its historical pain.

Last, dmbesotted, I doubt any of us liked John Slater teasing DM about bed-wetting, (around 40 years after it happened). It certainly does not endear Slater to the audience, true. We were supposed to feel, I think, the nobility of Slater's actions to hide his fate from AJ through the ludicrous lies of his having another woman, at the end, when he had been given 6-12 months to live, which was supposed to make up for his having been a jerk earlier in the show.

Unfortunately, the jerkiness of him prevails for those of us making up the pro-DM audience! :);)

I feel like I am being poked at for saying that this episode was my least favorite and that I did not like John Slater. Well, I didn't and I don't and it is fine with me that others do. There are things about the episode that I like but at the end, despite his nobility, I don't like the character. And I said this was my least favorite - not that I did not like it. There really is a world of difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone! New video up at www.docmartinonline.net

I'm very much looking forward to coming back to the UK and Port Isaac and meeting Doc Martin fans. If any one would like to be interviewed as a DM fan and you're going to be around London or Cornwall over the next three weeks, then please email me at [email protected]

I'm doing whatever I can to make sure that the site is kept regularly up-to-date from here on. If you want to submit photos or have any hot tips about the show that should be on DMO - please shoot me a quick email.

Cheers!

DR

I can't find any new videos on the site. Did anyone else?
    http://www.docmartinonline.net/media/videos/
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last, dmbesotted, I doubt any of us liked John Slater teasing DM about bed-wetting, (around 40 years after it happened). It certainly does not endear Slater to the audience, true. We were supposed to feel, I think, the nobility of Slater's actions to hide his fate from AJ through

Unfortunately, the jerkiness of him prevails for those of us making up the pro-DM audience!
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    I feel like I am being poked at for saying that this episode was my least favorite and that I did not like John Slater. Well, I didn't and I don't and it is fine with me that others do. There are things about the episode that I like but at the end, despite his nobility, I don't like the character. And I said this was my least favorite - not that I did not like it. There really is a world of difference.

DMbesotted, not sure where you got the "poke" idea from my comments in my post about John Slater. Please note I said 1) JS did not endear himself to the audience for making bed-wetting fun to DM and 2) wound up being considered a jerk (or other similar adjective) to many of the audience even though they tried to make him have some "nobility" of character which I don't think transformed him at all.

So, I was actually agreeing with you that John Slater was not a likable character.

Overall, though, yes, I did love the episode--there were multiple other aspects which made it enjoyable for me.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I can't find any new videos on the site. Did anyone else?
    http://www.docmartinonline.net/media/videos/

It came up on the home page for me. You can watch it there or click on the YouTube icon.

http://www.docmartinonline.net/

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_OZh446bLug&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_OZh446bLug%26feature%3Dplayer_embedded
This discussion has been closed.