Options

O2 / BE Migrations to Sky Network start in October

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Customers on O2 / BE start being migrated over to Sky's network in October. You can ask for a stay of execution until Spring 2014, but you will need to contact Sky to arrange this. After then you will be migrated over to Sky regardless. Apparently you wont need a new router.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/08/isp-sky-broadband-confirms-o2-uk-and-be-migration-timetable.html

http://www.sky.com/shop/welcome/faq/

Comments

• Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed this last night.

I guess this will force the hand of many to either move to Sky or another provider. I guess if the talk that Plusnet could be offering BT Sport soon, then this will attract a fair number of the o2 customers who have been hanging on.

Im guessing the price for BB without Sky line rental is going to be more expensive as they will want to use this as an incentive of why you should switch?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about those with multiple static ip addresses on BE? I they just going to pull the rug from under them and say, sorry, just the one for you now.
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »

Im guessing the price for BB without Sky line rental is going to be more expensive as they will want to use this as an incentive of why you should switch?
    i have sky BB without line rental & talk. i pay £7.50 plus £5.00 Supplement for not having Sky Talk.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Annex M (pro) customers?
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Sky's FAQ:-

"We'll write to you roughly two months before we are planning to migrate you from O2 / BE broadband and, if applicable, home phone servicesto Sky Broadband Unlimited and Sky Talk. In the letter you'll find more information about the new package you could get with Sky and your new price."

I am currently on a half price deal with BE, which I was offered when I phoned to cancel a few months ago. Looks like I might have to phone Sky to keep on my existing service until next spring.

If Sky are to send out letters 2 months beforehand, does that mean that some have been sent out today, if migration starts in October?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Zenith wrote: »
    From Sky's FAQ:-

"We'll write to you roughly two months before we are planning to migrate you from O2 / BE broadband and, if applicable, home phone servicesto Sky Broadband Unlimited and Sky Talk. In the letter you'll find more information about the new package you could get with Sky and your new price."

I am currently on a half price deal with BE, which I was offered when I phoned to cancel a few months ago. Looks like I might have to phone Sky to keep on my existing service until next spring.

If Sky are to send out letters 2 months beforehand, does that mean that some have been sent out today, if migration starts in October?

They are bound by the contract you have with O2.

It's only if you are out of contract they can change your price.

myself, i'm pretty relaxed. if i don't like sky i'll leave.
  • Options
    gushgush Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    ... I am currently on a half price deal with BE ...

Same here - for nearly two years now since I threatened to leave BE.

Paying £12 for 14Mb download speed - rock solid unlimited service!

Interesting to see what happens - no letter yet!
    Can't see Sky offering the same.
  • Options
    TestingTimesTestingTimes Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    The are only starting the migration from October - there's no chance everyone will move in this month alone, so don't expect your letter coming anytime soon, unless you're one of the first to move over.

We've had Sky BB since leaving Virgin some time ago and couldn't fault it and the price and service. Fibre isn't available on our PCP yet, so will look at who has the best price and service nearer the time - so far looks like they are on a par with BT's FTTC - will wait and see though ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gush wrote: »
    Same here - for nearly two years now since I threatened to leave BE.

Paying £12 for 14Mb download speed - rock solid unlimited service!

Interesting to see what happens - no letter yet!
    Can't see Sky offering the same.
    As I can only get 6mbps download, I'm on their value package. I'm currently paying just £7.05 pm.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »

Are you sure about that?

I renewed my mother-in-law's O2 broadband (most basic package) about 3 months ago and they (O2/Sky) agreed to renew it for another year at £4.25/month.

She received the letter last week advising that she will be moving over to Sky and paying £7.50/month if she doesn't get in touch with them before 29 September and that any payment made after that date to them will construe her acceptance of their new deal.

I've not received the letter yet. I'm currently paying nothing for my broadband (all rounder package), because I contacted them to renew at the time they were desperate to retain customers for the impending sale to Sky.

From here: http://www.sky.com/shop/welcome/faq/
    • What will happen to my current O2 contract?

If you are an O2 Home Broadband customer then you will have been notified that your contract has been transferred to Sky Home Communications Limited who has agreed to perform all obligations under the contract. This does not affect the minimum term of your contract. For the time being, Sky Home Communications Limited will continue to supply your chosen O2 Home Broadband and home phone products on the same Terms & Conditions until you transfer over to Sky. Before you move over to Sky under the migration process, you will be supplied with a new set of Terms & Conditions for your new Sky services. However, you will not be subject to a minimum term for your new services (unless you chose to move earlier on one of our offers).
    and
    • Will I still receive my current discount?

We have worked hard to ensure we offer you the most suitable deal but there are many different packages and feature variations available. In the letter we send you, about two months before we plan to migrate you, we'll outline exactly how much you will pay if you move to Sky and details of our service and its features. The price of your monthly subscriptions (for broadband and, if applicable, home phone) will most likely be the same or less than with O2/BE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just off the phone to Sky and they advised that they will not be honouring any retention deals that were previously agreed with O2.

My mother-in-law will have to pay £7.50/month after 29 September 2013.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    Just off the phone to Sky and they advised that they will not be honouring any retention deals that were previously agreed with O2.

What do you mean 'not honouring'? they bought the contracts from O2, so they have no choice but to wait for them to expire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robbie1123 wrote: »
    What do you mean 'not honouring'? they bought the contracts from O2, so they have no choice but to wait for them to expire.
    Not according to the Sky representative that I spoke to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I asume that this is the reason why Sky will allow you to defer the migration until spring 2014.

"If you don't want to move to Sky, you can stay on your existing services until Spring 2014 (when we will be switching these off), but you'll need to call us on 08448 245 480 (from 8.30am to 8pm, 7 days a week) to let us know. Our dedicated customer service team will be happy to talk you through your options."

I assume that if your Mother-in-Law phones them, then she can keep her current deal. I can see Sky getting a lot of calls if they are not automatically honouring deals!
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Are you sure about that?

I renewed my mother-in-law's O2 broadband (most basic package) about 3 months ago and they (O2/Sky) agreed to renew it for another year at £4.25/month.

She received the letter last week advising that she will be moving over to Sky and paying £7.50/month if she doesn't get in touch with them before 29 September and that any payment made after that date to them will construe her acceptance of their new deal.

I've not received the letter yet. I'm currently paying nothing for my broadband (all rounder package), because I contacted them to renew at the time they were desperate to retain customers for the impending sale to Sky.

From here: http://www.sky.com/shop/welcome/faq/
    • What will happen to my current O2 contract?

If you are an O2 Home Broadband customer then you will have been notified that your contract has been transferred to Sky Home Communications Limited who has agreed to perform all obligations under the contract. This does not affect the minimum term of your contract. For the time being, Sky Home Communications Limited will continue to supply your chosen O2 Home Broadband and home phone products on the same Terms & Conditions until you transfer over to Sky. Before you move over to Sky under the migration process, you will be supplied with a new set of Terms & Conditions for your new Sky services. However, you will not be subject to a minimum term for your new services (unless you chose to move earlier on one of our offers).
    and
    • Will I still receive my current discount?

We have worked hard to ensure we offer you the most suitable deal but there are many different packages and feature variations available. In the letter we send you, about two months before we plan to migrate you, we'll outline exactly how much you will pay if you move to Sky and details of our service and its features. The price of your monthly subscriptions (for broadband and, if applicable, home phone) will most likely be the same or less than with O2/BE.

quite sure yes. it's the bit you emboldened in the first condition.

for the minimum term of your contract, as in however long you have signed up for they will have to honour the terms you have agreed.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's so shocking that all these mergers and takeovers are resulting in far more expensive mobile charges for the customer.

Bump the monthly mobile cost up but reduce the data download, and also less call time for your money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The T-mobile and orange names will disappear very soon under this EE banner.

And now O2 will soon be gone from the High Street having done a deal with Sky.

Who will Tesco be teaming up with to maintain their same mobile deals soon once O2 becomes Sky mobile? Virgin Mobile? Sky mobile? Car Phone Warehouse? Vodafone? 3? Or will that suddenly be the end of supermarket mobile at a reduced cost?

Will 2Gb data at £ 10 or £15 per month come to an end at the likes of Sky Mobile and EE once things have fully settled down and customers suddenly paying for every MB from day 1 of every month?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad I never went with O2 contract or I would have been soon locked into a contract with Sky for my mobile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

myself, i'm pretty relaxed. if i don't like sky i'll leave.

The phrase "Are you sitting comfortably?" springs to mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I asume that this is the reason why Sky will allow you to defer the migration until spring 2014.

"If you don't want to move to Sky, you can stay on your existing services until Spring 2014 (when we will be switching these off), but you'll need to call us on 08448 245 480 (from 8.30am to 8pm, 7 days a week) to let us know. Our dedicated customer service team will be happy to talk you through your options."

I assume that if your Mother-in-Law phones them, then she can keep her current deal. I can see Sky getting a lot of calls if they are not automatically honouring deals!

So if you don't agree to move to Sky, and come the date they switch you off and you still have x number of months on a contract you will have to pay for the remainder of your contract?

I would imagine so.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    I'm glad I never went with O2 contract or I would have been soon locked into a contract with Sky for my mobile.

This is about bb contract only afaik. When did o2 mobiles become involved in the equations?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see BE customers in my area being switched over in October. I think my switchover will probably happen in March or April next year.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    This is about bb contract only afaik. When did o2 mobiles become involved in the equations?

I think Sky ran off with his wife or something :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Hi

I am currently out of contract with BE when the switchover to Sky happens does this mean I will be locked into a new contract with sky or will I be able to leave at anytime without having to pay a fee.

Regards,

Dale
  • Options
    davewsdavews Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Assuming it is the same terms as they offered me on O2, not, it clearly states in the letter that you do not start a new 1 year contract and can leave anytime (with the usual 7 day notice).