Cars on the Pavement

burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
Forum Member
✭✭
In my village there has been a BMW parked on the pavement all weekend. The road is wide enough to park with all 4 wheels on the road yet the driver has parked with two wheels on the grass and two on the path. (the grass is on the other side of the path to the road). In order to get by, you have to squeeze past. If you were pushing a pushchair or pram you would have to push it on the road to get by.

Why do drivers have to do this? There is no reason whatsoever to put any wheels on the path although it wouldn't be too bad if he'd parked two on the pavement.

Should I pop a note under his windscreen wiper telling him he is a dick, or do you think he already knows?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Buy some stickers from YPLAC
  • Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most owners of BMWs already know this, especially the 330i owners.
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Car on the pavement. Suddenly there. Smile on its face,. Exhaust in the air. Car on the pavement. Bit of a fuss: I know that car -. Lives next to us!

http://www.penguin.co.uk/static/misc/uk/puffin/Resources%20pdfs/Dog%20In%20The%20Playground.PDF
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    In my village there has been a BMW parked on the pavement all weekend. The road is wide enough to park with all 4 wheels on the road yet the driver has parked with two wheels on the grass and two on the path. (the grass is on the other side of the path to the road). In order to get by, you have to squeeze past. If you were pushing a pushchair or pram you would have to push it on the road to get by.

Why do drivers have to do this? There is no reason whatsoever to put any wheels on the path although it wouldn't be too bad if he'd parked two on the pavement.

Should I pop a note under his windscreen wiper telling him he is a dick, or do you think he already knows?

Technically the police can get him to repark his car as he shouldn't really park on a grass verge/pavement.

Round our way we don't have garages - old properties - and heve no room to put one. The roads are narrow and when we park 2 wheels on the pavement it is for our car's safety, as there are idiots that come round corners so fast if we didn't they would take the back end of our car off if we parked fully on the road.

This has come up in another thread - it isn't always a black and white argument - but if your road is wide enough it dosen't sound as though he has an excuse.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He probably thinks he's doing other car drivers a favour by not blocking the road. He hasn't considered pavement users...especially those with prams, buggies, walkers and wheelchairs etc. Not to mention kids using ride-on toys. Wouldn't it be a shame if something with exposed metal edges, nuts, handlebars etc came past his car and struggled to get by ;) :cool:
  • McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pop a note under his windscreen politely asking him/her to move.
    If they don't move after, say, a couple of days, spray-paint the same
    message all over the vehicle. That should do it
  • human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be a terrible shame if some poor soul struggling along the pavement with their shopping, buggy, children or shovel should accidentally scratch the nice paintwork on this car.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take absolutely no care whatsoever when passing cars parked on the pavement! I knocked a wing mirror off once by pushing past with a pram! I even stuck around hoping the owner would turn up so I could shove it up his arse!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

If you had an Angel Eye cam you could record all these cars on the pavement, I did it once.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you had an Angel Eye cam you could record all these cars on the pavement, I did it once.

I presume that you were bereft of something useful to do at the time!:)
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not cars parked on the pavement you have to worry about....it's the ones that are moving!!!

Especially if you're standing in a bus queue...
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    He probably thinks he's doing other car drivers a favour by not blocking the road. He hasn't considered pavement users...especially those with prams, buggies, walkers and wheelchairs etc. Not to mention kids using ride-on toys. Wouldn't it be a shame if something with exposed metal edges, nuts, handlebars etc came past his car and struggled to get by ;) :cool:

Handlebars indeed, it's very annoying when cycling on the pavement to have to squeeze past unsocially or illegally parked cars like this! :cool: :D
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have to park with two wheels on the pavement because the owner of the shop on the main road nearby parks his F*&^%$in' great transit opposite where I park. If I parked with all four wheels on the road, there wouldn't be room for larger vehicles to get through. It never used to be like this before this selfish tw*t opened his shop.
    He has a customer car park but won't stick his own van in it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    I presume that you were bereft of something useful to do at the time!:)

You presumed wrongly.

I was walking to the shops and filming at the same time, so no extra effort was being made.
  • Choc13257weqChoc13257weq Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    You presumed wrongly.

I was walking to the shops and filming at the same time, so no extra effort was being made.

park your car normally leaving a small gap, causing a traffic jam. If anyone knocks on your door (wanting you to move your car) ignore it. They are then likely to visit the shop. After a few days problem solved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    park your car normally leaving a small gap, causing a traffic jam. If anyone knocks on your door (wanting you to move your car) ignore it. They are then likely to visit the shop. After a few days problem solved.
    I think you've quoted the wrong person.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McMahauld wrote: »
    Pop a note under his windscreen politely asking him/her to move.
    If they don't move after, say, a couple of days, spray-paint the same
    message all over the vehicle. That should do it

What do you mean by “under the windscreen”, do you mean after putting a brick through it.:eek::D
  • Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not just people using prams, wheelchairs etc that need to be considered. What about people who are visually impaired and have to use a cane?
  • human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Angela F wrote: »
    It's not just people using prams, wheelchairs etc that need to be considered. What about people who are visually impaired and have to use a cane?
    Canes can make very nasty scratches if you're not careful.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta laugh at all the keyboard hard men in here who're advocating vandalising somebody's motor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    It's not cars parked on the pavement you have to worry about....it's the ones that are moving!!!

Especially if you're standing in a bus queue...

This has happened to me before. A taxi suddenly mounted the pavement and started driving along it, for reasons unknown (it was a wide pavement). I've also seen someone else driving on the path in the same way, but I was safely on the other side of the road.

"Popping a note" anywhere is unlikely to get anything done though. It just makes you look like a passive-aggressive curtain-twitcher. You need to say something in person, if you can.
  • theworldisajoketheworldisajoke Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    You must be able to report it - I once parked my car with 2 wheels on the pavement as I live on a main road, unfortunately it was too close to a lamp-post and, allegedly, someone in a wheelchair couldn't get past without going on the road (personally I think it was one of my snooty neighbours who have nothing better to do.
    Got a bit of a shock when a copper knocked on my door at 9pm asking me to move the car
  • jackie_Fletcherjackie_Fletcher Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes on a narrow road you have no choice but to park on the pavement....but you should always leave plenty of room for pedestrians to get by,
  • FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes on a narrow road you have no choice but to park on the pavement....but you should always leave plenty of room for pedestrians to get by,

Still an offence to park on the pavement and you do have a choice of parking elsewhere and walking a few hundred yards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Gotta laugh at all the keyboard hard men in here who're advocating vandalising somebody's motor.

Aye. Two wrongs don't make a right, people.