St George's Day

yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
Forum Member
✭✭
This crops up every year but what are your thoughts on St George's Day not being a national holiday? The Irish have St Patrick's Day, the Australians have Australia Day, the Americans have July 4th and a lot of other countries have national holidays.
I have been brought up to celebrate St George's Day as it is part of our history, I always put a flag or two out the window. A lot say we don't have the day incase we upset others!
I'm just wondering what others feel about this, should somethibg be changed?

Should England have a national holiday for St George's Day? 186 votes

Yes
58% 108 votes
No
13% 25 votes
I don't care
28% 53 votes

Comments

• bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do feel it should be a national holiday, but unfortunately it comes near other holidays such as Easter and the May Day bank holiday. They'd all be crowded together in many years.

Not so much when Easter is early.

ETA - voted yes anyway.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    st geroge wasnt english.....

'these mors, coming over here, making themselves our national saint.....'

id rather have may day off.....
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

An idiotic concept, celebrating an idiotic concept, celebrating an idiotic concept.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There SHOULD be a national holiday for st george.

Why is there more recognition in ireland and scotland for their patron saints and none whatsoever for the patron saints for wales and england.

But we now live in a multicultural society so its best to sweep it under the carpet as we dont really want to offend anyone do we?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »

Why is there more recognition in ireland and scotland for their patron saints and none whatsoever for the patron saints for wales and england.

But we now live in a multicultural society so its best to sweep it under the carpet as we dont really want to offend anyone do we?

Why would anyone be offended anyway?

...and who gives a crap if they are...?
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    This crops up every year but what are your thoughts on St George's Day not being a national holiday? The Irish have St Patrick's Day, the Australians have Australia Day, the Americans have July 4th and a lot of other countries have national holidays.
    I have been brought up to celebrate St George's Day as it is part of our history, I always put a flag or two out the window. A lot say we don't have the day incase we upset others!
    I'm just wondering what others feel about this, should somethibg be changed?

Burn the Heretic! Suckler on Satan's groin you papish knave >:( venerating saints is a distraction from dedication to a Jesus.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »

To be fair, you can't really get much more multicultural than St George.
    It's not even as if we have first dibs anyway!
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Vulpes wrote: »
    No.

An idiotic concept, celebrating an idiotic concept, celebrating an idiotic concept.

A day off work OR working at holiday rates is not the thing stated above.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

They should move one of the plethora of Bank Holidays we have in April & May and dedicate it to April 23rd & call it St George's Day.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Yes.

They should move one of the plethora of Bank Holidays we have in April & May and dedicate it to April 23rd & call it St George's Day.

No reason for if what so ever, England's probably never fully adopted a saints day as of the reformation, why would anyone want one now?

Anyway, St Alban would be a better national saint if one is required.
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't there a religious implication to celebrating a patron saint? Saint being the key word. Plus he's a martyr in Christianity, right? So if we are trying to become more secular do we have room to celebrate him? Personally I think yes (and voted so) but I'm playing devils advocate given there's a desire to see Britain as a secular country.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    ANOTHER holiday in the Spring? Surely Easter and the two in May are enough? No, I would support a (non-religious) celebration of the United Kingdom (as a whole) or separate days for Scotland, Wales, NI and England - but please, let's have one that breaks up the long haul between August and Christmas.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couldn't care less.

I guess I'm one of those obnoxious liberals that finds the concept of raging patriotism rather naff so I wouldn't particularly want a holiday to encourage that further.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    ANOTHER holiday in the Spring? Surely Easter and the two in May are enough? No, I would support a (non-religious) celebration of the United Kingdom (as a whole) or separate days for Scotland, Wales, NI and England - but please, let's have one that breaks up the long haul between August and Christmas.

This is a good point.

It's bizarre that we're inundated with Bank Holidays in April & May, yet there isn't a single one between August & December.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Disestablishment Day would be my choice for the next national holiday but in the meantime how about Turing Day (c June 23rd)?
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be a St. Anthony day.
    The patron saint of lost things.
    Could spend the day looking for things.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Why would anyone be offended anyway?

...and who gives a crap if they are...?

All the lefty Councils who call the Union Jack or the England flag, racist and ban flying it.
    Yes.

Or Shakespeare Day for those easily offended.

St David's Day tomorrow and I shall fly my Welsh flag here in England.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,582
    Forum Member
    Perhaps if there was a patron saint of Britain then the whole country could have a holiday on the same day
    TBH I have little time for all this saints day rubbish.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    All the lefty Councils who call the Union Jack or the England flag, racist and ban flying it.
    All? Are there actually any "lefty councils" who do this?
  • Matt_MaherMatt_Maher Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not bothered.

Patriotism is retarded anyway. It's exactly the same as being proud of having brown eyes or blonde hair or something.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    yeahbuddy wrote: »

Why would it upset anyone?
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    No, there shouldn't. I hate my country. I hate its history. I'd rather forget England ever existed.

Give me multiculturalism!

Give me the small-minded nationalism of the Scots!

Give me halal burgers and niqabs!

But don't ever give me St George's Day.
  • Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, there shouldn't. I hate my country. I hate its history. I'd rather forget England ever existed.

Give me multiculturalism!

Give me the small-minded nationalism of the Scots!

Give me halal burgers and niqabs!

But don't ever give me St George's Day.

St George is a patron saint that is shared with numerous other countries, just because you couldn't care less about St George's Day doesn't mean you hate England. I think every country has its share of small-minded nationalists, including England.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't care.
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    In England I would replace May Day with St George's day. (So voted yes).