Wanted Down Under: snobby Poms get my goat

Comments

• towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Do they ever do updates for this programme? Have there been many families who have actually gone ahead with the move?

Er yes..

Certainly more than on it's sister programme 'Escape to the Country' :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    They seemed to do quite a few updates at the end of the show last year, but hardly any this year. They also had a 'Revisited' series last year for some families and most of those had moved out there (and were apparently having a wonderful time, as they would)!
  • zandarzandar Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been watching the present series and so far, nobody has voted for the UK at the end of the show. Surely, it can't be that wonderful? Are the Aus/ NZ Governments sponsoring this show? If so, that interest should be declared in the credits.

I reckon that Nicky Chapman has flown down under and done all the links in one go - probably from Queensland as they can also film her by a river that would look similar to NZ. That is why we never see her downunder with any of the families. She might just as well have gone to Cornwall to do the links!

Anyway, I am thinking of applying to be on the next series in order to get a free trip to Aus or NZ. I will be all enthusiastic to secure a place and having done so, will become the first person to vote UK! I will then turn into the winging Pom and come up with my reasons for wanting to go back home:
    the fires; the boiling summer temperatures; snakes; poisonous spiders; man eating sharks; crocs in the rivers & estuaries; box jellyfish that will kill you with one sting; cyclones; lack of places to go due to most of the land being desert & too bloody far from everywhere else. If I go to NZ, we can delete deserts & fires and replace with Earthquakes and Volcanic eruptions. Oh, & the weather is more or less the same as the UK apart from the Northland area.

Right, now out to enjoy the snow!
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,668
    Forum Member
    Just tuned in today.

Dad wants to move, mum wants to stay and they have three kids aged 9,7 and 2

Get to their week long accomodation in Perth and are underwhelmed. A free flight for five, a free weeks rental and they are underwhelmed. Perhaps the pool in the back yard isn't big enough!!!
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to turn off.. I can`t stand the Yorkshire accent.. "Ohh a dyernt really knyerrrr" :mad:
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The friends and family are twisting the knife this morning!

Is it really worth leaving family behind? It wouldn't be for me.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is as much an entertainment show as free pubilicity for the Oz/NZ lifestyle, but why don't they get the Estate Agents in before they go so they know exactly how much budget they have for a home? Also, I have a close friend who lives in Perth and the summers are unbearably hot. You can't go anywhere, you just have to stay at home with the air con switched firmly on. And the bushfires came to close to her home for comfort...
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    Er yes..

Certainly more than on it's sister programme 'Escape to the Country' :)

I'm surprised, I didn't think many of them would actually bite the bullet and go for it. The ones I've seen have usually had one partner who is very unsure about making the move.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    Think I'm with the mother today..if I was her I would stay in the uk
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    I had to turn off.. I can`t stand the Yorkshire accent.. "Ohh a dyernt really knyerrrr" :mad:

Charming.
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    Think I'm with the mother today..if I was her I would stay in the uk

She annoyed me. She has a fear of change & wasn't prepared to face it for the family. Hope she got over it.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find this show to be very tedious and really predictable. The first property will be in their budget but too grotty or small for them, the second property will be better and closer to what they want but right at the end of their budget and the third property will be just what they want and possibly more but at least a few grand, if not 25k plus, over their budget. Their economy is better so houses there cost more while ours are worth less. The jobs do seem to be better but then the price of grocery shopping overall tends to be more, yadda yadda.

I heard them say this morning that there's no point in moving unless they'll get a much better, or at least a better (can't remember the exact wording) lifestyle/way of life. I remember thinking well if your happy with what you have then whats wrong with moving and having a similarly modest or good lifestyle? why do you expect to have a much better way of life without spending a fortune? if you know what I mean... I guess they mustn't be happy with what they have at home or they wouldn't be bothered about emigrating but sometimes I wonder if these families aren't a little greedy, expecting to get so much more for roughly the same income elsewhere - the grass isn't always greener... one of the families this week also talked about the possibility that their parents might not be able to make the move - most, if not all, of the other families have known from the start that its not fair to expect their elderly relatives to move half way around the world, why are they any different? geez...
  • tsarinatsarina Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if any of these families, or more to the point, couples, suffer marital problems when they get back to UK when the plan has been held back by one of the parents?

It was pretty obvious all the way through that the woman today wasn't going to go for it, she was negative about everything. You could say at least that she went and tried it out? Well she didn't, all she did was get a free holiday!

Some of them just seem dead set against it, so why bother doing the programme?

Another thing that gets my goat are the parents, family, friends. Whinging about how much they are going to miss them etc etc, it's as if they want them to feel really bad. Have they never heard of flights and skype etc ... ? No, let's just make them feel guilty about following their dreams!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tsarina wrote: »
    I wonder if any of these families, or more to the point, couples, suffer marital problems when they get back to UK when the plan has been held back by one of the parents?

It was pretty obvious all the way through that the woman today wasn't going to go for it, she was negative about everything. You could say at least that she went and tried it out? Well she didn't, all she did was get a free holiday!

Some of them just seem dead set against it, so why bother doing the programme?

Another thing that gets my goat are the parents, family, friends. Whinging about how much they are going to miss them etc etc, it's as if they want them to feel really bad. Have they never heard of flights and skype etc ... ? No, let's just make them feel guilty about following their dreams!

I don't entirely understand the point of the DVD apart from being a massive guilt trip and practically forcing waterworks from the family - makes for good TV but its not as if they didn't know they'd be leaving friends and relatives behind beforehand and im sure they know their much liked and appreciated, so why make them feel worse by watching such things? not only that but filming them while their watching it - If it was me, I'd want to watch it in private I reckon.
  • Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What annoys me about this programme is that they're trying to make out that the famlilies have to make a hard, tearful choice... what rubbish! They've already made their minds up! The trip is simply a free holiday and a free property look around!

Also the sheer arrogance of some of these people staggers me, the one where this woman was absolutley insisting her grown up daughter give up her boyfriend and quit the UK when she clearly didn't want to, was unbelievable. But she had no qualms about leaving the grandparents behind, that was just hard cheese!

Made me want to slap her hard...
    The friends and family are twisting the knife this morning!

Is it really worth leaving family behind? It wouldn't be for me.

Thats apparently one of the, if not the biggest, reasons for ex-pats to returning to the UK.
  • kate53kate53 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What annoys me about this programme is that they're trying to make out that the famlilies have to make a hard, tearful choice... what rubbish! They've already made their minds up! The trip is simply a free holiday and a free property look around!

Also the sheer arrogance of some of these people staggers me, the one where this woman was absolutley insisting her grown up daughter give up her boyfriend and quit the UK when she clearly didn't want to, was unbelievable. But she had no qualms about leaving the grandparents behind, that was just hard cheese!

Made me want to slap her hard...

I'm with you all on this one. What annoys me is the value of their house in the UK is always less than they thought , and they come out with 'I won't sell it for that!' - its usually the woman - sorry , but its worth what its worth , no matter what you think x
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Just tuned in today.

Dad wants to move, mum wants to stay and they have three kids aged 9,7 and 2

Get to their week long accomodation in Perth and are underwhelmed. A free flight for five, a free weeks rental and they are underwhelmed. Perhaps the pool in the back yard isn't big enough!!!

If one of the spouses doesn't even want to emigrate, the whole thing is surely doomed from the start (unless as you say, they did it for a free holiday).
  • Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to be mean but that overweight child who featured this morning wouldn't last five minutes in Australia where they are all obsessed with sport and being outdoors on the beach etc.

I have relatives who were planning to emigrate to Australia around 30 years ago, they already had family out there and had jobs and a home to go to but then their personal circumstances changed suddenly and they decided to stay in the UK. Ten years later they went out for a holiday and said they were glad they hadn't moved out there because it just wasn't right for them.

The grass isn't always greener.

I have family that moved to Oz 30 odd years ago. I'm not sure they found it better, just.... different. Mind you the pool did look nice. :o
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,462
    Forum Member
    zandar wrote: »
    I will then turn into the winging Pom and come up with my reasons for wanting to go back home:
    the fires; the boiling summer temperatures; snakes; poisonous spiders; man eating sharks; crocs in the rivers & estuaries; box jellyfish that will kill you with one sting; cyclones; lack of places to go due to most of the land being desert & too bloody far from everywhere else. If I go to NZ, we can delete deserts & fires and replace with Earthquakes and Volcanic eruptions. Oh, & the weather is more or less the same as the UK apart from the Northland area.

Right, now out to enjoy the snow!

The complete absence of any culture whatsoever, bigoted and chauvinistic males (all of them!), the total trash televison and the general dislike of the English.

Been there lived that and came back:D

(sorry for clipping)
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is as much an entertainment show as free pubilicity for the Oz/NZ lifestyle, but why don't they get the Estate Agents in before they go so they know exactly how much budget they have for a home? Also, I have a close friend who lives in Perth and the summers are unbearably hot. You can't go anywhere, you just have to stay at home with the air con switched firmly on. And the bushfires came to close to her home for comfort...

That is something that has always put me off some of Australia, plus I don't do hot, hot weather very well. The more I see on this program, the less I fancy Australia, even for a holiday.
    Today's family seem to have good life in York, I can see why the Mum doesn't want to leave when she's happy. If it ain't broke why fix it?
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    Does anybody know what percentage of people who've been on the show - and wanted to go - have actually gone? Or, as I suspect, are half of them going on the show just for a freebie holiday?
    Forum Member
    Nice young family today, two kids one aged six and the other one five.

She is really pushing the move, never set a foot in NZ before the show.

Interesting one and they are based in the same hotel/apartments that I stopped in last year - Sky City
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This confuses me a bit - I thought they started off saying her brother moved out to Australia and she wanted to do likewise after visiting him for a couple of weeks, so why go to New Zealand if he lives in Australia? I presumed part of the reason for wanting to relocate is to be closer to him?.
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    This confuses me a bit - I thought they started off saying her brother moved out to Australia and she wanted to do likewise after visiting him for a couple of weeks, so why go to New Zealand if he lives in Australia? I presumed part of the reason for wanting to relocate is to be closer to him?.

Well technically they would be closer to him:rolleyes:

A big draw to NZ is the similarity to the UK but they're house hunting in Auckland, traditionally the most expensive part of the country.

They mentioned they really fancied Christchurch and then the earthquake struck in 2011. I saw the devastation for myself but you'll get so much more for your money on the South Island and compared to the North, it's stunning.
    Forum Member
    Makes a change, the best house s the cheapest:confused: