Options

28 inch widescreen tv - preferably no less than £400

Good morning all; my sister is finally fleeing the parents home and wants a 28 inch widescreen tv. She has asked my assistance and my god it looks a minefield out there!

I would be grateful for anyones thoughts and guidance. Ultimately, the requirements are not massive; 100 hz screen, at least two scarts, and the basics i would hope would be a prerequisit with TVs this days (but we know that is not always the case) - decent sound, clear picture, teletext. Perhaps as important as the above is not too massive an arse! (depth of TVs rear end). LCD / Plasma are not what she wants.

I've spotted two Toshiba at between £320 and £340 but really have no idea whether these represent good value - I have read on line that the tube on many toshibas are not the best but that was only a couple of review.

I am grateful for any assistance you could give us.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I've heard that Panasonic TVs have a good picture. Also consider those made by Philips and JVC. I guess it really depends how much you are willing to pay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a Panasonic - very good quality Picture.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Why is 100Hz required. :confused: Not usually a good thing unless your sister is susceptible to migraines caused by 50Hz flicker. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mister C. Please see your private messages box.
    RE: Sale of my Sony TV.
    Cheers.
    Ro.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    onto my second Tosh tv now(32ZP38) and the picture quality has always been good.
    My second one is a 100hz jobbie and its superb!
    Component video in and dolby digital built in completes the picture!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    How about a refurbished unit?...I just bought a Sony (50Hz though) at half online price...can you beat Wega flat screens? looking at it, it can in a box marked 'refurbished' but there's not a single mark on it, plus it's got a 12 month warranty. This way she could afford a higher end model?
  • Options
    crunchiecrunchie Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Panasonic's TX28PM1 is fantastic - best pic I've ever seen, and I sit REAL close! It's been superceded with the TX28PM2. Either one would be a great buy. 50Hz pic with NO smears or digital processing artefacts.
  • Options
    steven123steven123 Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well while most people go recommending all the traditional high end stuff like Panasonics, Toshiba and of course Sony (im sure these are top sets) im going to be a little bit controversial and recommend something completely different.

Personally I have always used Goodmans TV sets not so much through brand loyalty just these sets have always seemed to provide the best value for money, in fact have had a total of four Goodmans sets and have not had any serious problems with any of them indeed out of the four i still have three and they still work fine.

Of particular note is the 33 inch 4:3 set purchased back in 97, since then it has had very heavy daily usage (big TV watchers in my house) and still works perfectly today.

Recently i upgraded to a Goodmans 32 inch Widescreen set, only had it a few months so far too early to make comments on reliability or anything like that but the picture quality is superb and also quite surprisingly the sound quality (albeit just stereo) is very good too which allowed me to move the HIFI out into the other room freeing some much needed space in my TV room.

I am not necessarily saying that you should get a Goodmans set (though i certainly think you should consider it) just that you may end up getting a far better deal if you look beyond the traditional big names and the money you save may allow you to get a bigger set e.g. a 32 inch set instead of 28.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Thanks a lot everyone - when i get the chance later on this week, i will be able to fully digest everything that has been said and focus my research.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    newsonthehournewsonthehour Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mister.c. wrote:
    Good morning all; my sister is finally fleeing the parents home and wants a 28 inch widescreen tv. She has asked my assistance and my god it looks a minefield out there!

I would be grateful for anyones thoughts and guidance. Ultimately, the requirements are not massive; 100 hz screen, at least two scarts, and the basics i would hope would be a prerequisit with TVs this days (but we know that is not always the case) - decent sound, clear picture, teletext. Perhaps as important as the above is not too massive an arse! (depth of TVs rear end). LCD / Plasma are not what she wants.

I've spotted two Toshiba at between £320 and £340 but really have no idea whether these represent good value - I have read on line that the tube on many toshibas are not the best but that was only a couple of review.

I am grateful for any assistance you could give us.

Check your PM
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    nothing wrong with Goodmans....CRTs have been around long enough that the better technology has filtered down to the cheaper brands. just depends what kind of a deal you can hammer out for a better brand name for the same price.
  • Options
    Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I'll get a lot of bad replies but to be honest I've been using a Beko 28" set since Nov '04 and can't really fault the picture. I paid £30 but that was due to many offers and incentives at work all working together but the price was about £160. I also have a Sony 32" in the main room with Sky and generally don't notice too much difference, basically it does the job I brought it for. It aint HDTV but neither is the price.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Here's some offers I've dug out about 100 hz w/screen TVs for you:
    Hope this helps you!