Biggest selling UK female atrist?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
Who exactly is the biggest selling british female artist? I've tried to search for it but all that keeps coming up is Madonna because she sold the most singles by any female artists.

Comments

• Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean British female as opposed to Biggest selling female in the UK of any nationality (which your correct is Madonna :))?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I mean which British female has sold the most records e.g Annie Lennox, Adele. Like The Spice Girls are the biggest selling British girl group of all time. Does anyone get what i mean? Sorry for confusing anyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isn't it Adele :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mean which British female has sold the most records e.g Annie Lennox, Adele. Like The Spice Girls are the biggest selling British girl group of all time. Does anyone get what i mean? Sorry for confusing anyone.

I do and i searched but was difficult to find either an all female list to get it that way or the actual Best Selling British Female i would say Adele, Amy Winehouse, Annie Lennox, Kate Bush, Dido, along those lines but totally unsure sorry :confused:
    Forum Member
    Aries_123 wrote: »
    isn't it Adele :confused:

Of all time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of all time?

It would tally 7 million albums say 5 million singles well into double figures.
    Forum Member
    But I've read that Annie Lennox has sold 70/80 million. Surely Adele hasn't sold more than that unless 70/80 million is incorrect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But I've read that Annie Lennox has sold 70/80 million. Surely Adele hasn't sold more than that unless 70/80 million is incorrect.

Are u talking solely UK or WW in which case Adele no Annie lennox combined total with the Eurythmics would make more sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

According to her wiki (not the best source i know) she's sold 80 million records worldwide...so yes Annie Lennox would be the Biggest selling Uk female artist
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the help :)
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sade - Massive in the States in the 90's multiple platinum albums, gotta be up there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    As a solo artist it almost certainly is Adele. 19 has sold 8 million, 21 has sold 25 million. Her singles tally is over 30 million, so thats over 60 million records. The vast amount of Annie Lennox's sales were with Eurythmics (approx 90%). Another top selling album (and singles) from Adele will make her the undisputed highest selling British female artist.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dido has to certainly be up there.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sade - Massive in the States in the 90's multiple platinum albums, gotta be up there.

Agreed.

She has been huge there since the '80s. Even made over 30 million quid from her most recent world tour.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Sade has usually been regarded as the best selling British female but it's confusing because Sade is technically a band as well... But Adele will probably be the indisputable best selling female artists one day.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Yes, weirdly Sade is actually a band. They apparently split the earnings equally between all members as well (or so i've read). But even if you class Ms Adu as a solo artist I'm still not sure she would be up there with Adele in albums/singles sales no matter how big she is in the US. Thing is with '21' Adele has also sold an unbelievable amount of singles to go with the stratospheric album sales.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Yes, weirdly Sade is actually a band. They apparently split the earnings equally between all members as well (or so i've read).

Ahh fair enough. Interesting my first thought was Shirley Bassey or Dusty Springfield - but I couldn't find sites that would give me any numbers, but surpringly I did see that alot of their albums didn't chart that high - so i'm guessing they probably aren't in contention despict being legends.

I did find that Enya has solds etimatedly 35 million!