Ben Affleck cast as Batman in Man of Steel sequel

Comments

• Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could have been worse, could have been Ryan Reynolds.
  • chimpsy23chimpsy23 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Shame they couldn't hire his brother who is a much better actor Ben affleck has the range of a sock puppet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can people please let go of Daredevil a film that was 10 years ago and before he revamped his whole career and image. Also if you watch the Directors Cut he isn't even that bad in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not impressed with this at all! As a director Affleck no doubt is quality and could so amazing thing with the series in that capacity but as an actor he is beyond piss poor and i dont see how he is gonna enhance the Batman character any further?

But i suppose we shall have to wait and see!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Can people please let go of Daredevil a film that was 10 years ago and before he revamped his whole career and image. Also if you watch the Directors Cut he isn't even that bad in it.

Agreed, even he admits that Daredevil wasnt his finest hour so I hardly think he'll be anything like he was in that film. Plus, the Affleck who has reinvented himself since directing Gone Baby Gone is a very different actor than the guy who did Pearl Harbour/Gigli etc..., he was very good in both The Town and Argo, since becoming a director he's become a much better actor. Infact, watching Argo you can kind of see why WB thought he'd be a good choice.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    I have to admit I found the news a bit of a let-down. I was actually hoping for Josh Brolin as an older Batman. I think he's got a presence about him that fits both Bruce Wayne and Batman - something I feel Afleck lacks.

I don't want to prejudge too much and I will give the guy a chance when the film comes round, but right now, my gut is telling me its the wrong choice. I hope he surprises me.

Josh Brolin would have been a cracking choice. I have a feeling we'll get a good sense of how he'd have been in Old Boy as well.

Jim Caviezel would have been another choice I'd have like to have seen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member

Jim Caviezel would have been another choice I'd have like to have seen.

I'm glad it wasn't Caviezel, he would have been too much like Bale, he already seems to be copying Bale in Person of Interest, and while I loved Bales Batman (yes, even the growl), I think they'd do better to go with a fresh take rather than merely copying what's come before, and Caviezel would have been too close if you as me.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    The petition has already reached 3,000 signatures.

"His acting skill is not even close to being believable as Bruce Wayne and he won't do the role justice," the petition reads. "He's not built, nor is he intimidating enough for the role of Batman.

"His portrayal of Daredevil was atrocious and he's not remotely close to an action star. Please find someone else."

:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    'Ha ha Maybe they ha should cast JLO as Cat woman ha ha cos they used to date 10 years ago and were in an awful film together ha ha' - Seemingly everyone on twitter right now. I like the guy and think he'll do a solid job. Wouldn't have been my first choice but if the rumour about him directing his own Bat movie is true then I am in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    'Ha ha Maybe they ha should cast JLO as Cat woman ha ha cos they used to date 10 years ago and were in an awful film together ha ha' - Seemingly everyone on twitter right now. I like the guy and think he'll do a solid job. Wouldn't have been my first choice but if the rumour about him directing his own Bat movie is true then I am in.

Okay one bad movie and one meh movie, but she carks it quickly in it.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    This reminds me of the outrage when Daniel Craig was cast as Bond and he nailed the part. WB must have faith in Affleck to give him the role and I hope he does well.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not impressed with this at all! As a director Affleck no doubt is quality and could so amazing thing with the series in that capacity but as an actor he is beyond piss poor and i dont see how he is gonna enhance the Batman character any further?

Really? In everything?

Beyond piss poor in Argo? Beyond piss poor in The Town? Beyond piss poor in Hollywoodland? Dogma? Good Will Hunting? Chasing Amy?

Or do you mean he has had some poor performances like most actors had and went through a particularly bad spell in early '00s after which he re-evaluated his life and went back to basics?
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NinjyBear wrote: »

"His acting skill is not even close to being believable as Bruce Wayne and he won't do the role justice," the petition reads. "He's not built, nor is he intimidating enough for the role of Batman.

"His portrayal of Daredevil was atrocious and he's not remotely close to an action star. Please find someone else."

3,000? is that all? :p

One wonders what the founders of Change.org makes of their website being used to promote such shallow, insignificant issues. Look at what is happening in Syria at the moment, and people would rather launch a campaign about this? Pathetic.
  • Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

These people really need to take a long, hard look at themselves.

I don't see what the problem with Affleck is. He is a good actor, and I think he's a good choice for the part. He's very like how I've always pictured a "live action" Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Why can't people just wait and see? It's only a flipping comic book film, anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member

Seriously can the internet just get over Daredevil already? Maybe he was shit in it, but it was 10 freaking years ago. If he was really as terrible as some people think he is, he wouldn't still be around...

At least they didn't bring up Pearl Harbour...
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was that hair...oh the horror.
  • NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First, I would liked to have seen at least one more standalone Superman film. We could give Batman a rest for a while.

Second, I think on the whole the superhero movies work best with less initially prominent actors in the superhero role.

Third, Superman/Batman seems strange given they want to do a Justice League movie. Or maybe it will be Justice League minus those two?

Anyway, i would love to be proved wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    First, I would liked to have seen at least one more standalone Superman film. We could give Batman a rest for a while.

Second, I think on the whole the superhero movies work best with less initially prominent actors in the superhero role.

Third, Superman/Batman seems strange given they want to do a Justice League movie. Or maybe it will be Justice League minus those two?

I think the idea is

1) Superman
    2) Superman vs. Batman
    3) Flash
    4) Possibly Wonder Woman
    5) Probably a Batman and/or Superman sequel(s)
    6) Justice League with Superman, Batman, Flash, Wonder Woman (and any other hangers on - I'm not a comic book guy, so I don't know the exact line up)
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I think he'll be fine provided he loses the beard, facial fuzz and a menacing cowl is a bit like socks and sandals.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chimpsy23 wrote: »
    Shame they couldn't hire his brother who is a much better actor Ben affleck has the range of a sock puppet

In one of my favourite horror films, My Bloody Valentine. (The 1981 original.)
    Don't want to be a pooper, but I don't think the role of Batman needs the best acting ability in the world.
    So I'm indifferent to this news.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure about this, I'm struggling to picture him in the role, but many people said that about Heath Ledger as the Joker and look how that turned out, so I'm not going to write it off because I'm wary of the casting. Since his career resurgence as a director I've loved everything Affleck has done though, so hopefully he puts in a good performance as Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Agree completely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

JLA was scrapped a while ago, there are no plans currently that im aware of to make that particular film.

The buzz has been for some months now that they are waiting on how well the Superman sequal is recieved.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously can the internet just get over Daredevil already? Maybe he was shit in it, but it was 10 freaking years ago. If he was really as terrible as some people think he is, he wouldn't still be around...

At least they didn't bring up Pearl Harbour...

Daredevil was awful, but hes really matured as an actor since then.

I wonder if he might have a hand in the creative process, that would be great.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This news gave me a giggle. I'm not going to get worked up about it.
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have gone with Josh Brolin.......

He played Bretton James, in the Wall Street sequel, potraying a guy with more than a passing resemblance to Bruce Wayne.

Combine that with the qualities of Jonah Hex and Agent K...you've got Batman