Comet & Dixon's may close UK stores

Comments

• pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by Daedroth View Post
    Why not get rid of all high street shops and replace them with parks, cinemas and cafes instead?

In my local town, its like this and it is very grim. Estate agents, banks, betting shops and restaurants. To me this is a sign that the town is on its knees. No one wants that sort of thing in their High Streets. It will come to this sadly.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally Posted by Daedroth View Post
    Why not get rid of all high street shops and replace them with parks, cinemas and cafes instead?

In my local town, its like this and it is very grim. Estate agents, banks, betting shops and restaurants. To me this is a sign that the town is on its knees. No one wants that sort of thing in their High Streets. It will come to this sadly.
    Yet so many of us use large supermarket chains and shop online. Why is that if we supposedly all want thriving High Streets?
  • CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    What a loss to the High Street they'll be if they do close. Where will people go if they want incorrect advice from poorly trained sales and 'technical' staff, whose only real aim is to sell you an over-priced extended warranty? Call me old-fashioned, but you just don't get that sort of service on-line.

This ;)!
    Forum Member
    I think most people love nostalgia and stuff like Woolworths, but when it comes to the crunch, they don't want to support it. If the amount of nostalgia that was talked about on here regarding Woolworths was translated into sales, Woolworths would have been safe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I think most people love nostalgia and stuff like Woolworths, but when it comes to the crunch, they don't want to support it. If the amount of nostalgia that was talked about on here regarding Woolworths was translated into sales, Woolworths would have been safe.

True.
    It's the same with the demise of the High Street. Many of us sit and complain that our high streets are now bland, and have been killed off by out of town shopping, then pick up the car keys and drive to the out of town shopping centres bypassing the high street. Truth is, it is our own fault.
    Forum Member
    True.
    It's the same with the demise of the High Street. Many of us sit and complain that our high streets are now bland, and have been killed off by out of town shopping, then pick up the car keys and drive to the out of town shopping centres bypassing the high street. Truth is, it is our own fault.

I put on another thread on here....Memory lane has been replaced by the Dual Carriageway to the out of town shopping centre.

In the UK I would say that consumers are hardnosed professional shoppers who just want bargains and dont care for the consequences. We are willing to let industry decline if it means saving a few pounds here and there.

Look at how many people opened bank accounts when Building Society's converted to banks (to get shares). Only for a few years later to create mass queues as we tried to get all out money out!

We want our cake and to eat it and we dont care what mess we make eating it! Consequences consequences.
  • BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    just purchased a fridge freezer from Comet how will I stand if the close the stores and something goes wrong with f/f

bth feel sorry for all the staff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Borefest wrote: »
    just purchased a fridge freezer from Comet how will I stand if the close the stores and something goes wrong with f/f

You obviously lose your right to a replacement or refund if anything goes wrong, but the manufacturer is obliged to arrange any repairs for you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Borefest wrote: »

Depends on the warranty. Most are extended provided by separate companies so you would deal with them, and they would arrange an engineer to come out. If the store goes belly up then you would deal direct with the manufacturer for the first twelve months I would think. But you lose the right to a refund or replacement unless the manufacturer agrees.

Of course, if it's a Proline model (Comet's own brand) then you could be up pooh creek.
  • stevensdrsstevensdrs Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Comet started out, it was just a warehouse with brown boxes (no display items) and a stock list advertised in the press. The prices were cheaper than elsewhere so you went there, paid your money and took your item away with you.

The internet is now the more colourful descendent of that business model with the advantage of reviews and home delivery.

In the intervening time, retail park shops may have been the way to go, but no more. It simply just doesn't make economic sense. There is no margin in the products they sell to support such an infrastrucure.

So it is inevitable that these stores will close, which is a pity, as it's fun to go there and get a bit of hands on experience, and some less than adequate advice before going home and placing your order with the cheapest internet trader.:rolleyes::o
  • ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give it 10-15 years, stores selling goods will completely vanish off the high-street. Just places to eat and other things you can't do over the Internet will be exist on the high street.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    But hey ho, things evolve over time and businesses come and go.
    Compare high streets from 80 years ago to now and you wouldn't have the same businesses still there.
  • lozloz Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I put on another thread on here....Memory lane has been replaced by the Dual Carriageway to the out of town shopping centre.

In the UK I would say that consumers are hardnosed professional shoppers who just want bargains and dont care for the consequences. We are willing to let industry decline if it means saving a few pounds here and there.

Look at how many people opened bank accounts when Building Society's converted to banks (to get shares). Only for a few years later to create mass queues as we tried to get all out money out!

We want our cake and to eat it and we dont care what mess we make eating it! Consequences consequences.

And yet the most successful, biggest, most profitable retailers in the country are not usually known for selling things cheap, have stores in the high street and can usually be beaten by prices online. For example M&S, JLP, and Tescos (admittedly not high street, but not the cheapest either)

Blowing your theory apart and proving that any retailer who does a good job will always attract loyal customers.
  • Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The comet near us was recently refurbished and is now pretty swanky. Love browsing in there and trying out gadgets before invariably buying them cheaper online (not from the comet website)
  • stevensdrsstevensdrs Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loz wrote: »
    And yet the most successful, biggest, most profitable retailers in the country are not usually known for selling things cheap, have stores in the high street and can usually be beaten by prices online. For example M&S, JLP, and Tescos (admittedly not high street, but not the cheapest either)

Blowing your theory apart and proving that any retailer who does a good job will always attract loyal customers.

Poor analogy. M&S and JLP survive because woman like to shop and Tesco because it is convenient. This is not the same as electronic goods shops and in no way blows the posters theory apart.
  • BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But is there a need for Hight Street shops? Out of town shopping centres provide ample free parking, a good choice of shops and sometimes food and entertainment. Much less hassle.

Internet shopping is good for some things, but I can't see it totally replacing retail outlets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shaiya wrote: »
    Give it 10-15 years, stores selling goods will completely vanish off the high-street. Just places to eat and other things you can't do over the Internet will be exist on the high street.
    That's a bit extreme. There will always be a huge amount of people who want to see their fresh food and try on clothes and footwear before purchase, so Tesco and its ilk should be fine. There will even be a few technophobes who require face-to-face 'advice' on consumer electronics from a spotty Herbert, although the main place to see such products will probably be the large supermarket chains. I expect the over-the-counter market for books, DVDs, Blu-rays and CDs will also be reduced to simply impulse buys of chart titles from large supermarkets.

On the plus side, there will be more jobs for packers and delivery drivers, but you might need a new licence to drive the flying delivery vans of the future.;)
    Forum Member
    loz wrote: »

I wasn't aware I had stated it as a theory?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevensdrs wrote: »
    Poor analogy. M&S and JLP survive because woman like to shop and Tesco because it is convenient. This is not the same as electronic goods shops and in no way blows the posters theory apart.

Unless the high street is composed entirely of electronic shops I don't think the OP was only thinking of them...:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I can't shop in places like Comet or PC world because they're in out-of-town retail parks and I don't have a car, there are no bus routes that go that way either. It's internet or nothing for me.

So many companies must be losing custom this way. My Mum for example, can't use a computer and cannot drive either, so she now has to rely on internet savvy friends and family to buy her the things she needs online.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't aware I had stated it as a theory?:confused:

Sorry, your premise or proposition, then...
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Woo-hoo! Closing down sales, i could do with a new fridge / freezer!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    I can't shop in places like Comet or PC world because they're in out-of-town retail parks and I don't have a car, there are no bus routes that go that way either. It's internet or nothing for me.

So many companies must be losing custom this way. My Mum for example, can't use a computer and cannot drive either, so she now has to rely on internet savvy friends and family to buy her the things she needs online.
    Although your Mum is savvy enough to rely on friends and family, others in her position will no doubt fall prey to the likes of Brighthouse. :eek:

I reckon these shysters will be the only electrical retailer on the high street in the near future. There will be a huge disparity between the prices paid by the immobile/poor/technophobic and the prices paid by those who can shop around.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comet may be about to close its UK stores. This follows last weeks announcement of up to 10 store closures and 150 jobs will go.

Its hard to feel sorry for them as I had to take them to court once. Customer service is appalling. Back in the 80s to early 90s they were actually ok.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/16/comet_close_boost/

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/05/11/comet_sales_fall/

Dixon's also face similar problems.

Dixon's UK rental bill is now more than 3 times its underlying profits. Dixons' UK liabilities, therefore, effectively outstrip its assets.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/04/14/dixons_swedish_future/
    The Dixons article refers to them possibly closing their UK business. Now, is that their web-based Dixons site (since they don't have any more high street stores), or does it include Currys & PC World?

Shame about Dixons. I've ordered several things off their website and all have been delivered as described, and they were the cheapest in each instance.

Comet I could easily do without as I've twice ordered services from them and twice they effed it up. Their customer service is shockingly bad and I wouldn't touch them again with a barge pole.

For anyone with integrated kitchen appliances, it's going to be a nightmare getting someone to sell & install them if Dixons, Currys & Comet all go. Plenty of places sell integrated appliances, but only these guys (of the big names) are willing to install them too, as I recently found out - twice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Dixons article refers to them possibly closing their UK business. Now, is that their web-based Dixons site (since they don't have any more high street stores), or does it include Currys & PC World?
    I think it means the shops in DSG because the article specifies square feet of selling space. Dixons' 'selling space' consists entirely of offices and warehouses, rather than the traditional shopfloors the article seems to be talking about.