2»

Comments

• ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Too much of a good thing, you can have.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm all for more Star Wars, but if they're going to flood the market with films, surely it dilutes the impact ?

I don't know - the movies around the Avengers characters/franchise seem to be doing ok.

As with everything - these new movies won't change what has gone before. Don't like them (or the idea of them) - don't watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To make a really good movie in the Star Wars universe first requires two things.

1- Restoration of the original trilogy. All of the changes that Lucas pointlessly added to the trilogy from 1997 onwards should be removed.

I mostly disagree. The "enhancements" did not change the underlying story - and like it or not, StarWars especially is looking very dated. I do think some of them were unnecessary - whilst other, more serious issues were overlooked.

I think what the trilogy would benefit from is a proper - considered and sympathetic makeover - along the lines of what Adwan is doing with his fanedits.

http://swrevisited.wordpress.com/tag/adywan/

His retake on the death star attack in Star Wars is much more grandiose than that in the original movie. Feels a lot more like the attack on the second Death star in ROTJ (one of my favourite scenes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKNrK53uA84
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 - 3 films per year starting with Yoda?

I've got a bad feeling about this.

No, 1 film per year starting in 2015 with Ep VII and alternating between Episodes and stand-alone films.

Persoanlly I can't wait. All SW has needed was to be taken away from GL & RM. Fresh blood into the creative aspects of the SW untiverse will re-envigorate it and I'm 100% sure they will produce some good films.

I'm more wary of Eps VII - IX as I think the Skywalker saga has run it's course by the end of Jedi and I've never bought into GL originally envisaging all 9 films at the start.

However thr stand-alone films could be excellent, especially if they totally step away form the previous films and instriduce some totally fresh characters and worlds.

Disney have managed the Marvel universe brilliantly IMO so I see no reason why they should balls this up.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creatively, Star Wars is dead.

It's been dead since 1983.

Disney are simply trying to milk the name for all its worth, and they are right to do so. They know each movie will make hundreds of millions of dollars regardless of quality.

GL didn't allow any creativity to enter the SW canon universe, that was the problem. You only have to look at some of the non-canon literature to see that the universe is ripe with creative characters, environments and stories.

Now it's out of his hands there's every chance that those given the opportunity to input into the new films will have grown up with SW and will ensure the new films are everything Eps 1-3 should have been.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    No, 1 film per year starting in 2015 with Ep VII and alternating between Episodes and stand-alone films.

Persoanlly I can't wait. All SW has needed was to be taken away from GL & RM. Fresh blood into the creative aspects of the SW untiverse will re-envigorate it and I'm 100% sure they will produce some good films.

I'm more wary of Eps VII - IX as I think the Skywalker saga has run it's course by the end of Jedi and I've never bought into GL originally envisaging all 9 films at the start.

However thr stand-alone films could be excellent, especially if they totally step away form the previous films and instriduce some totally fresh characters and worlds.

Disney have managed the Marvel universe brilliantly IMO so I see no reason why they should balls this up.

Hear hear!

I am very excited about this news, I've always wanted more Star Wars movies just with a whole new team just brimming with ideas.

Episode VII I think will deliver in spades - JJ Abrams movies are at the very least a lot of fun and entertaining.

All five movies will be worth watching I've no doubt.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moony wrote: »
    I don't know - the movies around the Avengers characters/franchise seem to be doing ok.

As with everything - these new movies won't change what has gone before. Don't like them (or the idea of them) - don't watch.

Oh i'm sure i'll go and watch episode 7 at the very least. I grew up around Star Wars and even remember going to see it when it was originally released at the cinema (yes, i'm that old :)).

I'm even one of the four people who actually quite like The Phantom Menace - although it did take me a few watches to actually get to that stage..

I'm open minded about the standalone stories I suppose. I'll take each of them on merit and if they look worth watching then I'll go and watch them.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Still not sure how they are going to make episode 7, I mean it takes place days after the Battle on Endor and the fall of the Empire.
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not particularly excited to see a Star Wars Episode 7. I can't help feel it will look exactly like John Carter, which was dire. That said, Abrams is pretty good, and I hope that some characterisation can be focussed on. The prequels especially were just awful. Lucas had the actors just walk slowly around and drone out their hokey lines in an uninterested fashion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still not sure how they are going to make episode 7, I mean it takes place days after the Battle on Endor and the fall of the Empire.

Surely you won't know when it takes place until the movie is made :confused::confused:

The Star Wars canon itself may continue right after the battle for Endor - but there is no reason to suppose that episode 7 movie can't be set years afterwards.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Moony wrote: »
    Surely you won't know when it takes place until the movie is made :confused::confused:

The Star Wars canon itself may continue right after the battle for Endor - but there is no reason to suppose that episode 7 movie can't be set years afterwards.

True, its just that "Truce at Bakara" or however its spelt is the following on to "Return". But yes they could just skip completely to a new time frame. It's a shame I liked the back story, with all the Empire outer rim planets refusing to surrender etc.
  • Femme FataleFemme Fatale Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    They are really going to over-egg the pudding.

I want to be positive and excited but I can't help but have a bad feeling about this already. I think I'll just stick with the original trilogy. It can't be bettered or even matched anyway, in my eyes.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Assa2 wrote: »
    Optimistic, are you.

Then again, seeing as they've tried, and failed, to get other, lesser SF/fantasy-esque franchises off the ground (Tron, John Carter, Prince of Persia), perhaps it's for the best that they invest in one already established.
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see any problems with this at all.

I think it's important to remember that these films are still going to be Lucasfilm productions and not the stereotypical Disney output.

Episodes 7-9 will continue the story from 1-6 and write over all of the EU stuff.
    The standalone movies will be set in different timeframes.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,372
    Forum Member
    I mostly disagree. The "enhancements" did not change the underlying story - and like it or not, StarWars especially is looking very dated. I do think some of them were unnecessary - whilst other, more serious issues were overlooked.

Technical issues such as clearing up a special effect or the sound and picture quality is fine. Altering scenes with CGI robots doing comedy antics, adding CGI aliens singing right into the camera, adding CGI dinosaurs walking in front of the camera, altering the dynamic of the Han/Greedo scene, and beating the audience over the head with Vader's internal strife at the end of ROTJ rather than the subtle way it was originally filmed has damaged the original trilogy.

That's what needs to be restored. All the superfluous additions should be removed.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't disagree with seeing a Starkiller trilogy. His story seems very dissapointingly confined in the "Force Unleashed" games.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a movie about how Han saved Chewie from slavery and their early adventures etc.