Emmerdale - Past and Present (Part 5)

Comments

• HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    I think SB's been improving as a producer and the 40th anniversary could be really good . However , based on how bad 2011 was I'm not sure how much I trust him

The mockery they made of their star cast member, forgetting a character who was born in the show turning eighteen and 6.5 million tuning in for what should've been a big storyline for a big character suggest to me he's actually losing the plot.

Let's hope the past couple of weeks have been a blip.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    The mockery they made of their star cast member, forgetting a character who was born in the show turning eighteen and 6.5 million tuning in for what should've been a big storyline for a big character suggest to me he's actually losing the plot.

Let's hope the past couple of weeks have been a blip.

I admit , forgetting Victoria's 18th birthday who is the oldest character born on the show was a mistake . There is virtually no legacy of the Sugden's left in Emmerdale , just Andy , Victoria , Diane as their mother by default and little Sarah . Emmerdale should never of killed off Joe Sugden

SB had an awful 2011 , particularly with the end result of the Jackson storyline and Marlon and Laurel
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    should a grown up alice bates be introduced(kathy the black widow's niece)?
    I'd rather they introduced Norman Bates, then they could go down the whole Psycho route :D
  • peaches41peaches41 Posts: 5,652
    Forum Member
    AuldGit wrote: »
    I'd rather they introduced Norman Bates, then they could go down the whole Psycho route :D

Oh definitely, a serial killer. He could kill off all the female characters that drive us mad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say, what a great read since I posted on Friday, all with our different takes on the Aaron exit, although I think in the majority we all thought it stank, I hope you read this SB. I don't know what to make of the Cameron/Chas thing, IMO there hasn't been any chemistry between him and Dobbie since he joined, I find him totally wooden and the unwashed, unshaven look is not my cup of tea, perhaps if I had watched The Bill, I might have a different take on him as an actor. I have said it before, they should have bought him in as a single male, they do have them in Jersey don't they? Probably the fact he could walk out on children makes him totally unlike-able in my eyes, OK his wife yes, I am on my second marriage but where children are concerned his total lack of interest in their welfare apart from the one time that we saw them makes my blood boil, so in a nutshell he can go through the whole village for all I care, next stop Moira who has been given a total personality transplant so she wouldn't give a thought as to whether she was hurting anyone else
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you about Cameron leaving his kids tinkie. Wife? OK, perhaps it wasn't a good marriage etc but having him leaving his boys wasn't a good plan. I know it was done in an attempt to show us just how much he fell for Debbie (as if :rolleyes:) but like you say, when people recall this fact about him it doesn't cover him in glory. Just leaving his wife (although some would find that bad enough) would have been sufficient for the storyline IMO too - they over egged it as usual didn't they? And as such when he bothers with Sarah you do think "what about your own kids?!"

However I think Cameron's OK, even like him at times and that to me is testament to the actor who really has had a hard job on his hands. He's had to try and create chemistry with the almost dead Debbie - surely a feat no actor should have to go through?! Has had to try and make us believe that Cameron would put up with everything Debbie (and Andy) has put him through re the saviour sibling but would still stay with her - and let's face it, THAT one is a stretch! The actor must be so relieved that he can finally get flex his acting muscles with an actress (Lucy Parteger - Chas) who seems to have no problem getting up close and personal with her co-stars. Who tries to illicit real passion instead of just saying the words like Debbie (Charley Webb) does. I'm sure it was Kwynne who mentioned that the actress might not like kissing other men or get up close with them? He might have a point and if so she's in the wrong job! Have we ever seen her passionate with another actor? I can't remember :confused:

I know that Debbie and Chas are supposed to have completely different personalities and that Chas would naturally be more open and full on with her emotions but even closed shops like Debbie have SOME passion in them! The way Debbie is portrayed it wouldn't surprise me if she was a "put me nighty down when you're finished" type :D But perhaps not the way these men (looking at you Andy) are so enthralled and in love after one coupling!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    I agree with you about Cameron leaving his kids tinkie. Wife? OK, perhaps it wasn't a good marriage etc but having him leaving his boys wasn't a good plan. I know it was done in an attempt to show us just how much he fell for Debbie (as if :rolleyes:) but like you say, when people recall this fact about him it doesn't cover him in glory. Just leaving his wife (although some would find that bad enough) would have been sufficient for the storyline IMO too - they over egged it as usual didn't they? And as such when he bothers with Sarah you do think "what about your own kids?!"

However I think Cameron's OK, even like him at times and that to me is testament to the actor who really has had a hard job on his hands. He's had to try and create chemistry with the almost dead Debbie - surely a feat no actor should have to go through?! Has had to try and make us believe that Cameron would put up with everything Debbie (and Andy) has put him through re the saviour sibling but would still stay with her - and let's face it, THAT one is a stretch! The actor must be so relieved that he can finally get flex his acting muscles with an actress (Lucy Parteger - Chas) who seems to have no problem getting up close and personal with her co-stars. Who tries to illicit real passion instead of just saying the words like Debbie (Charley Webb) does. I'm sure it was Kwynne who mentioned that the actress might not like kissing other men or get up close with them? He might have a point and if so she's in the wrong job! Have we ever seen her passionate with another actor? I can't remember :confused:

I know that Debbie and Chas are supposed to have completely different personalities and that Chas would naturally be more open and full on with her emotions but even closed shops like Debbie have SOME passion in them! The way Debbie is portrayed it wouldn't surprise me if she was a "put me nighty down when you're finished" type :D But perhaps not the way these men (looking at you Andy) are so enthralled and in love after one coupling!

According to my TV guide it's over quite quickly as they are nearly caught by Marlon :sleep:
  • dobby's bludgerdobby's bludger Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »

maybe the one who played jasmine
  • AidaAida Posts: 2,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Tink and Lotty - I haven't got any kids, but from what I saw of 'Cameron's spawn, if I'd been looking for a holiday companion and it was a straight choice between that fell pair and a cockroach, the cockroach would be packing its case! ;)

It's just another example of lousy characterisation and planning, isn't it? He could just as easily have been an already divorced man when his unlucky day dawned and he met Dismal Deb , in fact he might as well have been since his back-story has had no bearing whatsoever on any of the storylines he's been hanging around on the outskirts of, hoping for a line or two of dialogue.
  • evoleevole Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with cheaters is that they keep cheating. :rolleyes: So when Debbie catches Cam with her aunt, she just need to think about how she and Cameron got together in the first place. :cool: It's hard to drum up sympathy for Debbie or Chas.:sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

dobby, I keep forgetting about Jasmine, it is only when I see ads for Titanic that I remember
    Aida wrote: »
    Well, Tink and Lotty - I haven't got any kids, but from what I saw of 'Cameron's spawn, if I'd been looking for a holiday companion and it was a straight choice between that fell pair and a cockroach, the cockroach would be packing its case! ;)

It's just another example of lousy characterisation and planning, isn't it? He could just as easily have been an already divorced man when his unlucky day dawned and he met Dismal Deb , in fact he might as well have been since his back-story has had no bearing whatsoever on any of the storylines he's been hanging around on the outskirts of, hoping for a line or two of dialogue.

i know what you mean Aida :D, perhaps they were cast so we were meant to feel sorry for him but in my book, no excuse and yes no bearing on the SL whatsoever in fact, if we hadn't seen that couple of episodes we wouldn't have known they existed. They must have been pretty disappointed when he didn't go back to Jersey as planned when Cameron split with Dobbie the last time. You can tell this character annoys me can't you :D
  • Jimmy SkitzJimmy Skitz Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

tbf to the kids if your dad had left you and moved to the other end of the country you mighty be a little moody with him and (as you'd see her) the bitch that stole your dad
  • TibbyRidgeTibbyRidge Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    My two pennies worth on Cameron;

He’s just a bit mmmeh – he isn’t funny, he doesn’t particularly appear smart, he isn’t a goody, he isn’t a baddy. Has all the onscreen charisma of a house brink. To me he just comes across as an underwritten, generic male there to fill in a gap while a not very engaging storyline trundles on and on (possibly to reach some form of conclusion by Christmas).

I agree he is better when paired with Chas but then I can’t really concentrate on that because all I keep thinking is when this affair is revealed we are just going to be left with repetitive scenes of various Dingles shouting/wailing at one another while Debbie sits there with a face like a smacked @rse and this fills me with dread.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know, I can't even remember how many sons Cameron has got. Is it two or three?

tinkie wrote: »
    According to my TV guide it's over quite quickly as they are nearly caught by Marlon.

:mad: *damn
    Marlon!
    *shakes fist*
    Mind you, he'd be one to talk after the way he pursued a married woman!

I can barely remember :confused:

BIB: :D:D They weren't too pleasant were they?!
    evole wrote: »
    The problem with cheaters is that they keep cheating. So when Debbie catches Cam with her aunt, she just need to think about how she and Cameron got together in the first place. :cool: It's hard to drum up sympathy for Debbie or Chas.:sleep:

I never thought of that. Is Cameron showing signs of being a serial cheater?
    tbf to the kids if your dad had left you and moved to the other end of the country you mighty be a little moody with him and (as you'd see her) the bitch that stole your dad

There is this to consider too. He moved many, many miles away from his kids considering Jersey's off the coast of France! Can hardly pop on a train/bus to see their dad can they? Mind you, he never mentions them does he? We never see him talking to them on phone, skyping (or however you say it) them, even texting them!

Not got much going for him at all. Serial cheat and a crap dad :( Is it wrong that I still quite like him? :o:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how old are cameron's children?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not got much going for him at all. Serial cheat and a crap dad Is it wrong that I still quite like him? Quote lotty

Not at all lotty, it's a good job we aren't all the same or the world would be boring :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how old are cameron's children?

I tried to find out but I couldn't. I found out that they are called Dylan and Harry but I think they were fairly young from what I can remember 8/10 perhaps
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    I tried to find out but I couldn't. I found out that they are called Dylan and Harry but I think they were fairly young from what I can remember 8/10 perhaps

Weren't they like a copy of Carl's kids only more obnoxious?
  • cazza7cazza7 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    Weren't they like a copy of Carl's kids only more obnoxious?

Yep, but I think they had mitigating circumstances for their behaviour, given that they got Debbie as their stepmum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I quite like Chas and Cameron together (they're much more natural than Cameron & Debbie at least) but I really can't cope with Chas when she goes into seduction mode ~ over the top and cringeworthy in my opinion.
  • NathanTNathanT Posts: 1,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no strong feelings about Cameron (for a character who's been on screen for over a year, he's shockingly underdeveloped), but wasn't it in the script when his wife filed for divorce that he had been having a series of affairs? (another woman than Debbie was named as correspondent). Which would seem to indicate that he was a bit of a serial cheater. Again making all this devotion to Debbie and Sarah hard to understand.

As for the two kids, yes they were plain rude and obnoxious, and from a viewing point of view it's nice that they haven't been inflicted on us again. In fact I seem to remember they were only wheeled in at the same time as Debbie miscarried, maybe as a way of telling us that Cameron wasn't anti-children/parenting? When the rest of his actions seem to indicate that he isn't much of a parent. In real life this does happen - some men are not cut out to be fathers and, once they split from the mother, have little to do the kids (Carl King was similarly univolved with his children in their younger years). In Cameron's case, his devotion to Sarah comes across as a bit of a contradiction.

It feels like the writers wanted Debbie in a relationship for this story and Cameron was just brought in as a ready-made partner with no substance to the character. Prior to that, there was a bit of chemistry between Debbie and Ryan Lamb, and it looked like they might get together - IMO they would have made a better couple. I don't know why the writrers persist in putting Debbie with older men she has no chemistry with (it was the same with Michael - the guy who turned out to be engaged to Charity). it would be nice to see her with someone her own age (but not Andy - please!)
  • tjbantamtjbantam Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as Cameron goes, i actually like him.

The fact he isn't scared of Cain is a plus and if he is a serial cheat and child abandoner, he's still a better man than that berk Carl King.

I do find the chemistry between him and Chas a lot better (there actually is some!) but i was creased up watching Chas try to seduce him drunkenly. Was like watching one of those chameleon things on a David Attenbrough show that take one step forward, wobble back half a step and take another step forward. Lucy Pargeter is brilliant playing drunk Chas!
  • tjbantamtjbantam Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a young fella called Andy,
    Who Debbie makes rather randy,
    Is obsessed with red sauce,
    And hits women of course,
    John Barton got killed in his Landy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could you do one about elizabeth pollard or did you not watch emmerdale then?
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    AllieSA wrote: »
    I quite like Chas and Cameron together (they're much more natural than Cameron & Debbie at least) but I really can't cope with Chas when she goes into seduction mode ~ over the top and cringeworthy in my opinion.

as long as she doesnt wear that dress again, when she went to seduce pa barton

http://janereynolds.co.uk/index.php/2012/02/11/copy-emmerdaley-th-february/
This discussion has been closed.