2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees announched

gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/11/15846142-rush-public-enemy-heart-among-new-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees?lite

They consist of

Donna Summer
Public Enemy
Randy Newman
Rush
Heart
Albert King

should be an interesting watch

Comments

• Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/11/15846142-rush-public-enemy-heart-among-new-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees?lite

They consist of

Donna Summer
    Public Enemy
    Randy Newman
    Rush
    Heart
    Albert King

Long overdue in my opinion!
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extremely pleased to see Rush on that list as it is way overdue. can't quite understand why Donna Summer is there as she was more disco than rock
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extremely pleased to see Rush on that list as it is way overdue. can't quite understand why Donna Summer is there as she was more disco than rock

It really depends how you define the term "rock 'n' roll".

I define it as the fifties style of rock only. Others define it in broader terms, i.e. as an alternative name for (all types of) rock. However, in this context, I believe it's being used as an umbrella term for all genres of music that have come along since the advent of rock 'n' roll, so would therefore include Disco.

I'm not a fan of Disco or Donna Summer, but she was a leading light of that genre, so her name on the list is understandable.

I also think that the satirical singer-songwriter Randy Newman is a genius, so I'm delighted to see his name on the list.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »

They consist of

Donna Summer
    Public Enemy
    Randy Newman
    Rush
    Heart
    Albert King

Extremely overdue but very welcome they are getting the recognition they deserve at last.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Heart over Deep Purple? The wacky rrhof committee strikes again.

As regards Rush, could never understand the clamour from their fans (who tend to be trekkie types) for the band to be inducted. No standout tunes, a singer that wails...badly, no other artists cover their material thus are not that influential, and they are pretty much unknown to the man on the street. There are tons more deserving inductees (Deep Purple for one). Dire Straits destroy them on every single aspect imaginable...fantastic songs, renowned lead singer/guitarist, iconic album (Brothers in Arms)...the difference being they don't have trekkie types who launch campaigns to get them in. Not a fan of Kiss but they too are streets ahead of them, as are Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DC 17 wrote: »

As regards Rush, could never understand the clamour from their fans (who tend to be trekkie types) for the band to be inducted. No standout tunes, a singer that wails...badly, no other artists cover their material thus are not that influential, and they are pretty much unknown to the man on the street. There are tons more deserving inductees (Deep Purple for one). Dire Straits destroy them on every single aspect imaginable...fantastic songs, renowned lead singer/guitarist, iconic album (Brothers in Arms)...the difference being they don't have trekkie types who launch campaigns to get them in. Not a fan of Kiss but they too are streets ahead of them, as are Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard.

But ask any of the bands you mention what they think of rush and they will all say they hold rush in the highest regard.

As for the rest of your post, that simply shows your remarkable ignorance of the band.

There's more to music than the singles chart, you know. :rolleyes:
  • Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DC 17 wrote: »

Lol. No.