Any Punks?

BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,582
Forum Member
Watched a documentary on BBC 4 this evening about the punk movement in the late 70s I was just a small child then and have no memory of it at the time but watching it now it looked exciting, rebellious and a little bit dangerous
Anyone on here who was a punk and was it as wild as they portray it on TV?

Comments

• belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One summer holiday, me and my best friend bought see through plastic macs. Mine was pink and hers was purple.
    We covered them in safety pins and drew spiders webs on our faces. It lasted for two days as my mam said we looked about as rebellious as a pair of Barbie dolls.....
    all because of this song !
  • pink star 28pink star 28 Posts: 1,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally im not was only just born in the punk era.i always remember those ones with cockatoo hair lol and used to wonder how much hairspray they would of needed to get it like that lol xx
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,582
    Forum Member
    One summer holiday, me and my best friend bought see through plastic macs. Mine was pink and hers was purple.
    We covered them in safety pins and drew spiders webs on our faces. It lasted for two days as my mam said we looked about as rebellious as a pair of Barbie dolls.....

Yeah that sounds like a laugh! BTW that is a cracking good song
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I was too young to appreciate it at the time, I got into the goth scene that followed. Now officially an Elder Goth. I don't know whether to laugh or cry! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »

Yes one of my favourites. I've still got the vinyl single which sounds pretty good now, even after playing it about a thousand times over that summer :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Punk cut my university days in half. The first year, we were all sitting on floor cushions at gigs while people passed weak home-grown marijuana joints round and nodded pacifically. The second year it was all punch ups, spitting, and urinating against the walls. (None of these by me, you understand; I was on the committee for entertainments, and spent my whole time bleating feebly and passing elastoplasts out.) When I moved to London at the end of the 70's I was vaguely punk, but more clockwork orange: I always wore a bowler hat and a lot of eye makeup and never went to bed.

I never really warmed to punk, even though I went to every gig. I remember Max Wall (who was pretty old even then) supporting a punk multi-act gig, and people were just covering him with spit. I thought it was just so demeaning to spit at a 70 year old man. :( And a lot of the music was really crap, and sound systems were so casual that bands often sounded as if they were playing from the middle of a bowl of stew. I remember seeing the Slits, and literally all you could hear was a kind of deafening roar, from beginning to end. And the Stranglers having strippers was a bit arsey really.
  • Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 14 in 1977 and got one of my mates older sister who had a Saturday job in a hairdresser to give me a Mohican, and dyed it green. My hair had been sort of shoulder length and straggly before.

When I got home that Saturday afternoon - ripped t-shirt, 14 hole docs, and a new exiting hair style my Mum went absolutely f*****g mental.

Her and my auntie frog-marched me to round to the local barber where I emerged 10 minutes later bald.

Later that same day, my Dad got home from the golf club - half pished after several hours in the 19th hole - and commented that my hair was looking a bit tidier.

Unfortunately no photographic evidence of my hair on that day 37 years ago exists, but my Mum still complains about my (to her eyes) somewhat unconventional tastes in hair, tattoos, clothes etc. I suppose I am now just an ageing punk.......who listens to Radio 2!
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was just a bit too old for the fashion and the attitude being mid 20s........but I liked the music

Pistols, Jam, Stranglers, Souxie and so on........I think those groups would have 'made it' in any era, certainly they'd have fitted in during the 60s
    Forum Member
    Would the Undertones be classed as punk or something else? Jimmy Jimmy was the first single I ever bought and I loved that band dearly
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a hit in the Sixties for Dionne Warwick.

I never went to what could really be classed as a punk gig (excluding local kids in pub cellars), but I remember going to see The Cure and The Banshees and thinking how glamorous the girls looked when made up like Siouxsie Sioux. I could never get my hair to do the full Simon Gallup, but I would have done if it had cooperated.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I liked some of the music (Holidays In The Sun, No More Heroes, Public Image, Tommy Gun etc) but in terms of fashion I was more of mod revivalist...sta-prest trousers and Harrington jackets.

I steered well clear of the political side of it and all that skins vs punks vs mods vs rockers tribalism nonsense. I didn't have the classic punk attitude or a taste for gobbing and glue-sniffing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would the Undertones be classed as punk or something else? Jimmy Jimmy was the first single I ever bought and I loved that band dearly

Yes they were classed as a punk band, but not hard core like the Pistols. Some would say more New Wave really.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Belfast was at the front for Punk.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

yeah I reckon so........Teenage Kicks

Described by John Peel as 'the greatest record ever made' or something like that !
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »

Described by John Peel as 'the greatest record ever made' or something like that !

Yeah another favourite
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    It was a hit in the Sixties for Dionne Warwick.

I never went to what could really be classed as a punk gig (excluding local kids in pub cellars), but I remember going to see The Cure and The Banshees and thinking how glamorous the girls looked when made up like Siouxsie Sioux. I could never get my hair to do the full Simon Gallup, but I would have done if it had cooperated.

She is one very sexy woman Very sexy but also scary too!
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww, bless!
    A "punk" version of a Burt Bacarach/Hal David classic made famous by Dionne Warwick.
    What a bunch of sophisticated softies.
    They were light years away from most punk bands given their individual musical pedigrees.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww, bless!
    A "punk" version of a Burt Bacarach/Hal David classic made famous by Dionne Warwick.
    What a bunch of sophisticated softies.
    They were light years away from most punk bands given their individual musical pedigrees.

Well I did say it only lasted two days :D We didn't spit or ennyfing either .
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

And I have a copy of the original press made in Belfast by Terry Hooley.
    Think there were 500 issued before it was pressed nationally.

Worth a few bob now.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I did say it only lasted two days :D We didn't spit or ennyfing either .
    10/10 for musical taste.
    Dress choice ........see through, eh? :p
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh bondage, up yours
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't a punk but i did get into the psychodelia of the early 80s
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saw all the ones that came to Belfast , Ramones, Stranglers, Stiff Little Fingers, Skids etc..never saw The Clash to my lasting regret.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am bang on the age for it, but it wasn't my scene. Many of my friends were, though. And when I got to university, there were still some around.

It was the real thing then - safety pins and bin bags not bespoke designer gear artfully ripped. One of my sons thinks of himself as a punk. But he has no idea. I keep telling him I'm going to teach him to make his own clothes so he can be a true punk not a plastic one.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Watched a documentary on BBC 4 this evening about the punk movement in the late 70s I was just a small child then and have no memory of it at the time but watching it now it looked exciting, rebellious and a little bit dangerous
    Anyone on here who was a punk and was it as wild as they portray it on TV?
    We could do with another blast of rebellion to shake up the current status quo.

(not the tedious,aging 'rock' band, but the dreary cosiness we have today)