Unlimited leave - would you trust yourself?

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29356627
The boss of Virgin Group, Sir Richard Branson, is offering his personal staff as much holiday as they want.
On his website, he said that his staff of 170 could "take off whenever they want for as long as they want".
He added that there was no need to ask for approval, nor say when they planned to return, the assumption being that the absence would not damage the firm.
Mr Branson said he was inspired by his daughter, who read about a similar plan at the online TV firm Netflix.
"It is left to the employee alone to decide if and when he or she feels like taking a few hours, a day, a week or a month off," wrote the billionaire.
"The assumption being that they are only going to do it when they feel 100% comfortable that they and their team are up to date on every project and that their absence will not in any way damage the business - or, for that matter, their careers!"

Would you trust yourself with that assumption. Or if you got a deal on a holiday would you feel it was too good to pass up and take time off?

Would you feel guilty?

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it'll work. You'll obviously get one or two who will take the piss, but I think you'll get the majority of people who will respect the thinking behind it and only take what they feel is appropriate.

Obviously I suspect there'll be some behind the scenes sanctions that the press won't be privy to if too much is taken, but on the whole I do think it'll work.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would trust myself to not take the piss. It's a fantastic system implemented by Mr Branson. Systems like this only succeed if all members of staff are responsible - which is why so few companies offer anything like this.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think so. I tend to be a bit 'creative' with my hours already and always ensure that projects are completed to the required quality by the required deadline. I'm not sure I'd like it though. I'd rather know how many days I have left so that I can plan.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I think most people would conform to the norm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    This news will have made brain_higgy's day.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Say you're job is to make 10000 widgets by end of 2015. What hours you put in, what pattern of attendance you work and what leave you take is irrelevant. All the boss has to focus on is whether or not your output is going at a pace that supports you reaching the target - boss doesn't have to worry about what your hours/attendance were yesterday does he?
    My point is that it's easy for a boss to appear lax or disinterested about leave/hours IF they have set clear targets. It might be that the targets are really tough and require you working 18 hours a day 7 days a week and the reality is that despite the apparently lax regime you're actually working your ass off.
    So, if it were me, I'd be worrying about the targets/deliverables and not getting hoodwinked into thinking I'd be allowed to swan off playing golf all day and any day.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope 'Empowerment' makes a comeback in general.

It's very important for a happy, productive workforce and that translates to satisfied customers, market-share and repeat business.

The key point of course is not doing anything detrimental to the business. Unlimited leave is not Carte Blanche to disappear for 30 or 45 days (or perhaps even 1 day) without notice.

I have worked for one company where if policies and procedures didn't work in a particular circumstance, we changed them.

We couldn't do it willy-nilly. As a proper BS/ISO accredited company we had to make Change Requests and amend the relevant policy/procedure. But if they were reasonable, they were never refused and implemented quickly (sometimes in retrospect :)) .

Common sense predominated and we and the customers were happy.
    No more "Computer says NO!"
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my colleagues used to work at Essex university. His contract was that the hours worked are the ones required to do the job. Not sure if they still have this though!
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some will take the piss

and they're probably the same people who the boss has been looking for a reason to sack them
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it unlimited paid leave or do they get so much paid and then unlimited unpaid?
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a similar scheme at where I work, but it's restricted to those who have worked at least ten years for the company. There are conditions attached to that scheme, though.

Some of the conditions as far as I know:
    1) can do what one thinks best as long as each of their assigned projects is completed on time and to their client's satisfaction.
    2) can't miss or postpone their compulsory annual review/assessment meeting.
    3) can't be physically absent from work more than ten consecutive days. In theory, one can come in for a day every two weeks for an entire year. As far as I know, no one so far had the guts to test this theory. :D

Short term (up to a year): Yes, I can trust myself.
    Long term (unlimited): No. I can see myself getting so complacent that I'll be too lazy to do the proper work. As in, making excuses when I missed a deadline. I know because I did this at university.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Would you trust yourself with that assumption. Or if you got a deal on a holiday would you feel it was too good to pass up and take time off?

Would you feel guilty?

No, because I would make certain it was only for periods when everything was smooth running and steady state. I'd also make sure I could be contacted anytime if needed, outside the first week.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This policy has been in place at other places, and sometimes it can actually lead to less time being taken. If you have a well paid job that you like, you don't want to jeopardize it by being the guy who takes off twice as much as anyone else. And you're competing against some no-life workaholic who may take hardly any days off. It may burn that guy out after a few years like that, but in the mean time it doesn't look good that you're taking your time off and other people aren't.

I'd rather have a fixed allotment of holiday time. Then I can feel fine about actually taking that much. No justifications or pressure. You know exactly how much you're entitled to, and nobody gives you a hard time about it.

Sick leave should not be limited though, since you don't really control that. We have unlimited sick leave, but people don't usually take it unless they're deathly ill. Whereas I know some, generally lower paid, workplaces that limit it and people somehow end up taking just about exactly the amount they can take. When it's unlimited, people don't want to be seen abusing these unexpected days off if they don't have to. The fact that people don't take much sick leave is one thing that makes me wary of "unlimited" holiday leave, and how much of it people would actually use.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I support it - simply because you'd have to eventually go back to work to get money to pay for your life/holidays. In my current employment, we get something like 25 days worth of holiday entitlement over the course of a year, and 3-5 of that is kept back for Christmas.

I would love to take two or three months out to go traveling, but I can't, not without giving up my job (which would be great, cause I'm bored there) but it's a guaranteed income.

Edit: It's great for Bransons 170 staff, but what about the rest of them?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    In project-based work, people tend to do this anyway. I've been hard at work on a project since March, so I've only really had the chance to take four days off since then anyway. Once the project is finished, I'll have 2-3 weeks off to cabbage, but until then it's pointless as you just have to work double-time when you come back to clear the backlog.
    I'm quite jealous of those jobs where taking time off literally means the work somehow gets done by someone else rather than piles up. You could go on holiday in complete peace without worrying about the rate at which your inbox in growing every hour.
  • gamernewbiegamernewbie Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    I think it all depends on the job/ rank of the employees. Professional career driven people will not want to take much time off as it would jeopardize their career, so I think in certain 'big city's companies it would work well.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I'm quite jealous of those jobs where taking time off literally means the work somehow gets done by someone else rather than piles up. You could go on holiday in complete peace without worrying about the rate at which your inbox in growing every hour.
    A US guy with a 6 figure salary had the great idea of outsourcing his work to a Asian guy for a much lower 5 figure salary.

Unfortuantely apparently that's not allowed :D
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    One of my colleagues used to work at Essex university. His contract was that the hours worked are the ones required to do the job. Not sure if they still have this though!

Yep. Had one like that at Loughborough Uni for 25 years. Now we have fixed hours, timesheets and targets, huge amounts of nitpicking micromanagement - mimicing private industry... badly.

Productivity and morale through the floor, and everyone clocks off to rule (Especially ironic as c21 students are real nightowls, the campus doesn't liven up until 8, and by that time staff have long gone).

Beardy knows what he's doing, it's called collegiality, and we (Universities) have flushed it down the crapper.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    Hmmm I wonder if Branson has implemented the Ulrich model at Virgin...
    Forum Member
    A US guy with a 6 figure salary had the great idea of outsourcing his work to a Asian guy for a much lower 5 figure salary.

Unfortuantely apparently that's not allowed :D

That would only leave him with a 1-figure salary!

<goes back to do maths GCSE>
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would you feel guilty?

Ah the reason for his dirty trains not turning up is now know.

What if everyone decide to go away at the same time? Guess he has not thought this through.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've already got it. It's awesome :D
    Forum Member
    Ah the reason for his dirty trains not turning up is now know.

What if everyone decide to go away at the same time? Guess he has not thought this through.

Just to be clear, this is his *own* staff at Virgin Group, which is a brand management company, NOT his franchises such as Virgin Trains, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Money, Virgin Media etc.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I would like it if it was the kind of job you could do from home as well. So you could have time off but still check in from your computer to make sure everythings going ok. I wouldnt like the idea of leaving for a few months and coming back to chaos.

Ive always fancied a job where you have work that needs to be done and then you can go home. I would be the kind of person who would get a move on and get it all done so i could leave off early so i imagine this kind of scenario would be the same. You could work hard to get ahead so have the chance of taking a few weeks off and not falling behind.

Thats all hypothetical. If i really had the chance and got paid for not being there i doubt i would last long.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Just to be clear, this is his *own* staff at Virgin Group, which is a brand management company, NOT his franchises such as Virgin Trains, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Money, Virgin Media etc.

So one rule for his chosen few and different rules for the rest.

He needs to improve the punctuality, staff and their attitudes at his train and airline before thinking up silly shit.