Options

Rajar Q3 2014

13»

Comments

• Options
    DigMorrisDigMorris Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Which is well within the uncertainty of the prediction.
    So they might have already passed the 2 million. :)
  • Options
    chipmanchipman Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    I always prefer looking at Paul Easton's graphs for RAJAR in London and for the first time, it is noticeable that Capital are ahead of Kiss most of the day; Kisstory at 11am aside.
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    Absolutely correct on both counts.

Someone needs to come up with an alternative to Rajar which better reflects proper listener figures and their opinions.Listeners have far greater knowledge of what is good and what is bad in radio output, than the people running their little empires and who dismiss criticism of themselves and wrongly have a '' I know whats best for listeners '' attitude.

It has become farcical how radio and industry insiders both fear and cling to this all to powerful and lack of transparency on audience gathering, Rajar nonsense every quarter.

I can imagine you in discussion about this with the likes of Paul Easton, Trevor Dann and Richard Park. It would get scary :o;-)

It makes me laugh when radio people take the radio industry all too seriously as if it would impact the world if the breakfast show loses some listeners.
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Remember it's the count for Summer when a lot of people were away. Students weren't on campus, holiday cover etc. Some figures will have dropped.

You make it sound like most of the country is away or hibernate for the summer, many people work and carry on through summer.
  • Options
    Black BoxBlack Box Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    COTTONHEAT wrote: »
    I see that Danny Mylo & Rosie Madison have doubled there Listening Figures on Pulse 1 Breakfast Show in Yorkshire

Doubled? Where are you getting this information?

The figures wouldn't show this early on RAJAR yet anyway. On air changes take time to show on the figures. I'd expect to see a true reflection in Q2 2015.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    James30 wrote: »
    I can imagine you in discussion about this with the likes of Paul Easton, Trevor Dann and Richard Park. It would get scary :o;-)

It makes me laugh when radio people take the radio industry all too seriously as if it would impact the world if the breakfast show loses some listeners.

Yes some could certainly lighten up. Radio 4 at the top in London I really don't see it somehow. If that's correct it's about time the likes of Bauer and Global took a long hard look at their London outputs.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Yes some could certainly lighten up. Radio 4 at the top in London I really don't see it somehow. If that's correct it's about time the likes of Bauer and Global took a long hard look at their London outputs.

Radio 4 has been top in London for as long as I can remember.

Global and Bauer are aiming at a totally different audience, so they aren't going to launch rivals for The Archers or Woman's Hour.
  • Options
    BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't it always been the most popular station in London? It's just the tussle between Capital, Magic and Heart that makes the headlines

Correct, R4 is the traditional leader in London. The pop stations are far more interested in taking on R2, but given the thoroughly multi racial, ethnic, language and class make up of London, R4s continued domination is truly remarkable and a source of irritation to the pop players.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 4 has been top in London for as long as I can remember.

Global and Bauer are aiming at a totally different audience, so they aren't going to launch rivals for The Archers or Woman's Hour.

Well yes with the exception of the newly focussed LBC, Global has shown they can set the agenda recently with the Boris and Clegg phone ins and the shift towards Politics. Given the general antipathy towards the establishment, this was a counter-intuitive move, but it's paying good dividends for them. The Ken Livingstone David Mellor sequence is as good and enlightening as anything I've seen or heard on the BBC.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borsant wrote: »
    The Ken Livingstone David Mellor sequence is as good and enlightening as anything I've seen or heard on the BBC.

It's better than The Now Show but not as good as Just A Minute.
  • Options
    norderneynorderney Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see Jazz FM seems to be doing ok after they switched from national DAB to London DAB, especially as they are a small independent station - no part of a large radio group.

For the third quarter in succession, Jazz FM has increased its weekly audience to 553,000, growing by 11% in weekly reach since January, after its DAB transmission switched from national to London
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For a city the size and with the power and wealth London has, the commercial FM offerings are absolute joke and an embarrassment
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radio 4 has been top in London for as long as I can remember.<snip>

As long as I've been following RAJAR Radio 4 has been quoted as being Number 1 in London or very close to the top in 95.8's above all others glory days. In fact I remember in my early days reading internet discussions on radio it was argued the BBC didn't need a local radio station in London as Radio 4 met the speech needs of the capital (not sure I totally agree with that but with RAJAR so good I can see why the argument was there).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    It's better than The Now Show but not as good as Just A Minute.

... Or that home of smut and insinnuendo, I'm sorry I haven't a clue'
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    For a city the size and with the power and wealth London has, the commercial FM offerings are absolute joke and an embarrassment

But which is more civilised, having quality stations like Radio 4, Radio 3, Radio 2 or having hundreds of trashy pop stations filled with adverts? I know which I prefer.
  • Options
    seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heart Scotland has increased this quarter.
    Would that be your beloved Heart Scotland by any chance? Sorry but the station has ADDED listeners. A nice increase.
    Gavin_D wrote: »
    Other Heart stations are improving
    Heart Scotland has had a slight rise in listeners Q2 - 6% - Q3 - 6.6%
    Heart Yorkshire has risen from 5.7% in Q2 to 7.3% in Q3
    Heart North East has risen from 3.8% in Q2 to 5.5% in Q3
    Heart North West has risen from 3.5% in Q2 to 4.6% in Q3

So whilst heart London has lost a lot of listeners the new regional's are doing quite well

Heart Scotland is not im doing quite well. 0.6% is not an improvement, how on earth is that a nice increase? Its pretty bad compared it were it was before the networking come in.

Yet people have mist the point about Capital Scotland:

Q1: 7.7 %
    Q3: 6.9%

Has some of the people switched to Heart? I said Heart wont work to the current listens thus brand new people will need to be found. I did make this point before the changes, IE is there chance Heart could nick people from Capital?

I think we can clearly see why Robin Galloway is being brought back......
  • Options
    fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nobody asked me !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That helpful.....
  • Options
    SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seiko456 wrote: »
    Heart Scotland is not im doing quite well. 0.6% is not an improvement, how on earth is that a nice increase?
    It's still an increase. Heart Scotland added 59,000 listeners this quarter and hours are up 7.5%. That means more people are tuning in and listening longer than they were last quarter.

Before the figures were released you said :
    A certain HEART Station will have lost even more people.......
    We all know you want it to fail to prove a point but that clearly hasn't happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But its not doing as great as it should or was beefed up to do. I think both side has reached stalement, but if Q4 is 7.1% or higher then maybe its on the right track but I think we it will need longer to be beded in etc.

Its taken alot longer than what was said would happen, and Steve and Ewen are now gone, I wonder how long till Paul goes aswell....
  • Options
    SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But its not doing as great as it should or was beefed up to do.
    The increases will be gradual over time (look at Smooth Scotland for example). Real Scotland became Heart on May 6th this year. The fieldwork for the latest RAJAR started only 5 weeks later on June 23rd. The next 18 months will be the true test of whether it has worked as planned or failed to ignite, but the first survey after the rebrand is a positive one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The increases will be gradual over time (look at Smooth Scotland for example). Real Scotland became Heart on May 6th this year. The fieldwork for the latest RAJAR started only 5 weeks later on June 23rd. The next 18 months will be the true test of whether it has worked as planned or failed to ignite, but the first survey after the rebrand is a positive one.

Why are the other Ex Real station doing better?
  • Options
    RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I've had to say this before on here when a thread went on and on without its being mentioned, but much of Radio 4's lead in London would surely have to do with the FM pop audience having been split between more stations over a longer period. It might get a comparable share in the Shires, but with fewer (many fewer, in some cases) FM pop stations Radios 1, 2 and whichever commercial stations there have been would get a higher share, so the figures might give the *impression* that Radio 4 is much more popular in London compared to, say, Northamptonshire or North Devon than is actually the case.

Obviously this is less of a factor as digital listening (by whichever method) grows, but Radio 4 definitely comes higher in London because Radios 1 & 2 have a greater and more heavily fractured competition than elsewhere (which, as stated here, *is* comparatively bland and uninspired compared to other world cities, but that's the fault of British capitalism itself compared to both the American and Franco-German versions) whereas Radio 4 itself has no more direct competition than it does in, say, Norfolk (I think of LBC as a competitor to the non-sport side of Five Live rather than Radio 4 really, but then it was Five Live in a sense twenty years before there *was* Five Live).
  • Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well three stations in Kent had big changes this time round.
    BBC Radio Kent had a big drop. but is this to do with the lose of the to paul's that the start of the year along with other changes.

heart Kent also had a drop to. but KM-FM did good this time round as it went up really well in the East & the West.

KM-FM East Q on Q % ch. +83.4% Y on Y % ch. +63.0%
    BBC Radio Kent Q on Q % ch. -14.6% Y on Y % ch. -30.8%
    heart Kent Q on Q % ch. -5.2% Y on Y % ch. 5.1%