Options

Humax 1010S 'no signal' problem

I had to factory reset my 1010S when I got a second LNB feed to connect. This was a few days ago. On restarting it says "no signal' on both inputs. The two LNB leads provide good signal (80%/80%) on a Bush SD freesat box. Also the 1010S receives lots of signals (have not really checked which as they are in an unhelpful order!) in non-freesat mode.

I understand that this probably means that the humax box is not receiving a signal from the freesat epg transponder. So I need to know if this is still on the same satellite it used to be on (I have read about it moving) and whether it is still on channel 11428H. The latter channel is not currently available on the Bush box so if it is still transmitting on this channel I presumably have a misaligned dish. But if the frequency has changed I presumably need to check that the new frequency can be manually tuned on the Bush box and somehow explain to the Humax 1010S where to find it

I do not know if there is a concealed technical menu on the 1010S or whether we await a firmware update, but if someone could confirm the tuning parameters currently correct for the freesat epg transponder I can progress the fault, I think!

Many thanks for any up-to-date info.

rhayter

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhayter wrote: »
    I had to factory reset my 1010S when I got a second LNB feed to connect. This was a few days ago. On restarting it says "no signal' on both inputs. The two LNB leads provide good signal (80%/80%) on a Bush SD freesat box. Also the 1010S receives lots of signals (have not really checked which as they are in an unhelpful order!) in non-freesat mode.

I understand that this probably means that the humax box is not receiving a signal from the freesat epg transponder. So I need to know if this is still on the same satellite it used to be on (I have read about it moving) and whether it is still on channel 11428H. The latter channel is not currently available on the Bush box so if it is still transmitting on this channel I presumably have a misaligned dish. But if the frequency has changed I presumably need to check that the new frequency can be manually tuned on the Bush box and somehow explain to the Humax 1010S where to find it

I do not know if there is a concealed technical menu on the 1010S or whether we await a firmware update, but if someone could confirm the tuning parameters currently correct for the freesat epg transponder I can progress the fault, I think!

Many thanks for any up-to-date info.

rhayter

Still on the same transponder.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Still on the same transponder.

Thanks!

And am I right in thinking that transponder is based on the more northerly of the satellites carrying freesat channels?
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rhayter wrote: »
    Thanks!

And am I right in thinking that transponder is based on the more northerly of the satellites carrying freesat channels?

All broadcast satellites are at zero degrees North (ie directly above the equator). The transponder is on Eutelsat 28A at 28.5E rather than the Astra group at 28.2E.

The Astra 2 satellites have a non standard skew so compromise is required.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All broadcast satellites are at zero degrees North (ie directly above the equator). The transponder is on Eutelsat 28A at 28.5E rather than the Astra group at 28.2E.

The Astra 2 satellites have a non standard skew so compromise is required.

Thanks, this does suggest misalignment of the dish/LNB as the cause of my problem, then. I think it is rather a shame that in these circumstances the Humax shows zero signal and, after a timeout, some statement about the satellite signal being "very weak". The fact that there is a strong signal on many frequencies but no freesat transponder should allow the firmware to state definitely that the box and the dish are working but the latter is misaligned. (Which would have saved me inappropriately sending the original box back as broken!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been eyeing one of them @£99.99 but paid £150 for a Sagemcom DTR94-500HD but don't like the graphics or feel (it's also slightly laggy ) are they much cop or am i gonna have to end up paying £250 for a freetime box?
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been eyeing one of them @£99.99 but paid £150 for a Sagemcom DTR94-500HD but don't like the graphics or feel (it's also slightly laggy ) are they much cop or am i gonna have to end up paying £250 for a freetime box?
    The Bush are made to rock bottom prices and many users have consequent problems.
    I would recommend a freetime unit, but if price is a big factor don't overlook the single tuner HB-1000S from Humax direct at £69.99 - just add a suitable disk in a USB unpowered caddy for a single tuner recorder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As a matter of interest it was just the skew adjustment.