Options

'Psychic' Sally Morgan's charming family...

Comments

• Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    fastzombie wrote: »
    She said she was getting a man and the feeling of him being his brother. Do you have a brother in spirit. That was the only question then she was off and running.

I know it's pretty pointless and just opens me up to a bunch of cheap shot comments but just because I'm open to the possibility that something could be occuring doesn't mean I take all claims as true and I don't apply some skepticism myself.

You do realise that, had your friend not had a brother in spirit, the medium would have moved on to someone else in the room who did, saying that she was with the wrong person in your friend's case.

It's one of the many well known cold reading tricks - particularly when they are on a stage or podium. Sometimes they do guess right first time. When they don't they simply move on to someone else who can make the information fit.
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Oh egghead give it a rest.

You know you could never duplicate what the psychics did in the photo mailing.

I couldnt do what Ronaldo does with a football either so what? They werent psychics such people dont exist,there is no proof. They are just practiced charlatans.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    You dont grasp how mediums work I and others on this thread do. I never said anyone was lying,do you believe I can turn into a fish,yes or no?

Well you wont find any undeniable evidence in this thread and if you dont like it ,theres a big red X in the corner.

I refuse to believe that everyone who claims to be psychic is a fake. It could be the case, but I don't believe this to automatically true because everyone in the world that claims to be psychic hasn't been tested.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I refuse to believe that everyone who claims to be psychic is a fake. It could be the case, but I don't believe this to automatically true because everyone in the world that claims to be psychic hasn't been tested.
    You tend to think in impossible absolutes, zx50. Didn't you also say that a "psychic" must be 100% accurate?

It would only take one person to come forward and prove conclusively that they possess such abilities. We don't need 100% testing of every person who has ever been claimed to be "psychic". Just like we don't need to scour every centimetre of the North Pole to know there isn't an inexplicably old man called Santa who runs a toy factory staffed by Elves.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do psychic powers travel faster than the speed of light so if anyone wants to have a psychic Skype call with someone on Mars, do they have to wait 5 minutes for a reply?
    What light distance away are the dead?
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Do psychic powers travel faster than the speed of light or if anyone wants to have a psychic Skype call with someone on Mars, do they have to wait 5 minutes for a reply?

I believe the answer is that science doesn't know yet.

Oh, and quantum physics.

Innit.
  • Options
    fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    You do realise that, had your friend not had a brother in spirit, the medium would have moved on to someone else in the room who did, saying that she was with the wrong person in your friend's case.

It's one of the many well known cold reading tricks - particularly when they are on a stage or podium. Sometimes they do guess right first time. When they don't they simply move on to someone else who can make the information fit.

Yes I do realise that. But in the context of the whole reading I don't think you can reasonably isolate that and use it as evidence she was cold reading sorry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    I believe the answer is that science doesn't know yet.

Oh, and quantum physics.

Innit.

Entangled photons coalesce in extra dimensional healing realms to transcend the barriers of cause and effect and make within what is hyperbolic and subcutaneous without affecting the resonance of conscious ideals and vesicular meditation?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Entangled photons coalesce in extra dimensional healing realms to transcend the barriers of cause and effect and make within what is hyperbolic and subcutaneous without affecting the resonance of conscious ideals and vesicular meditation?

Yes, once you factor in banacious fluctuations and background reversals.

It's all cutting edge stuff of course, and mainstream science is, as always, reluctant to move forward. But it will, that much is obvious. Well, obvious to anyone with an open mind.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    I couldnt do what Ronaldo does with a football either so what? They werent psychics such people dont exist,there is no proof. They are just practiced charlatans.

You seem to have literal thinking going on. Yes to football but no to psi.

You wouldn't have done well with hand washing in the 19th Century.

And you still wouldn't be able to score the same as the top ranked psychic, and all without access to research.

That seems to dismantle the hot reading explanation.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm probably going to regret this but I'm going to admit that I have, in the past, dabbled in this kind of thing. I had a bit of a following with people coming to see me wanting readings. It was when I was much younger and I put a stop to it when it all got a little out of hand.

I don't do it now (apart from Tarot cards just for myself).

I can understand why people who do readings get swept along and begin to believe what they can do is supernatural. Over the years I have done quite a lot of research into it and understand more now of what happened those years when I was young.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    I'm probably going to regret this but I'm going to admit that I have, in the past, dabbled in this kind of thing. I had a bit of a following with people coming to see me wanting readings. It was when I was much younger and I put a stop to it when it all got a little out of hand.

I don't do it now (apart from Tarot cards just for myself).

I can understand why people who do readings get swept along and begin to believe what they can do is supernatural. Over the years I have done quite a lot of research into it and understand more now of what happened those years when I was young.

Who is claiming it's supernatural?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is claiming it's supernatural?

Many people do :confused:

In my personal experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's all cutting edge stuff of course, and mainstream science is, as always, reluctant to move forward. But it will, that much is obvious. Well, obvious to anyone with an open mind.

It's all part of a global conspiracy devised by the nefarious scientists to keep the masses in line. If the people knew they could talk to their dead relatives, the human race would be accelerated forthwith to a higher plane of multifaceted existentialism and transcend the macroscopic wavefunctions which elucidate their idealistic existence through and throughout the banal toroidal astrological factors. There would be chaos as the pontification of homoeopathic resonance rippled throughout the planes and percolated through the consciousness into the intrinsic whole.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many people do :confused:

In my personal experience.

I had just the opposite experience.

Rarely did anyone ask why.

They just wanted results.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's all part of a global conspiracy devised by the nefarious scientists to keep the masses in line. If the people knew they could talk to their dead relatives, the human race would be accelerated forthwith to a higher plane of multifaceted existentialism and transcend the macroscopic wavefunctions which elucidate their idealistic existence through and throughout the banal toroidal astrological factors. There would be chaos as the pontification of homoeopathic resonance rippled throughout the planes and percolated through the consciousness into intrinsic whole.

I wouldn't speak this openly in public Fez. You know how serious those nefarious scientists are about keeping their findings secret...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will know when the evidence is positive for psi, because that is when batgirl will show up to convince you it isn't happening. :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had just the opposite experience.

Rarely did anyone ask why.

They just wanted results.

You must forgive me if I'm not very good at explaining it. It's been years since I really even thought about it. I read this thread and wanted to contribute.

I know (or think I know) how I did what I did. I don't believe in spirits or ghosts or an afterlife. The people who would come to me had an expectation that these things were true and would assume what I was telling them came from a spiritual place. So they didn't ask how or why but when talking about me would reference ghosts and the spiritual world.

In fact it all came to a head when someone I knew wanted me to contact her dead parents. I knew at that point it had to stop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't speak this openly in public Fez. You know how serious those nefarious scientists are about keeping their findings secret...

It's okay, I've ascended to a higher plane and exist as one through many with quite a few in all and in none.
    They can't catch me here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must forgive me if I'm not very good at explaining it. It's been years since I really even thought about it. I read this thread and wanted to contribute.

I know (or think I know) how I did what I did. I don't believe in spirits or ghosts or an afterlife. The people who would come to me had an expectation that these things were true and would assume what I was telling them came from a spiritual place. So they didn't ask how or why but when talking about me would reference ghosts and the spiritual world.

In fact it all came to a head when someone I knew wanted me to contact her dead parents. I knew at that point it had to stop.

Yeah too bad about that. Never happened to me or my friends.

You have to be more careful of your aura.
  • Options
    fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well easy to parody but so far not so easy to refute.

But to bring some cold rational perspective to this, based on strict materialist reductionist beliefs on the matter, Sally, her dumb followers, and all the other idiots who believe in these powers are simply doing what they're supposed to do, because they have no free will. It's no good being outraged at her conning vulnerable people because morality is a subjective, ultimately meaningless conceit anyway and she's just following accepted Darwinian practice by exploiting the weak to strengthen her own position and reap the rewards. It's a common practice in many institutions and many people. It's rational and logical, although ration and logic are themselves illusory concepts that some dumb primates on a rock hurtling through space believe in, as a means to feel superior to a bunch of slightly dumber primates
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Do psychic powers travel faster than the speed of light so if anyone wants to have a psychic Skype call with someone on Mars, do they have to wait 5 minutes for a reply?

You sound like one of those guys that still believes Mars has a red sky lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And then again maybe it's one person with 7 names.
  • Options
    mcg3mcg3 Posts: 11,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah too bad about that. Never happened to me or my friends.

Thats because you and your friends are -

1 Quite happy to believe this claptrap

2 Have no morals

3 Never had a crisis of conscience
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    mcg3 wrote: »
    Thats because you and your friends are -

1 Quite happy to believe this claptrap

2 Have no morals

3 Never had a crisis of conscience

You seem so edgy like you're almost angry that no one is listening to you. Are you ready to snap? Are you getting angry at your computer?