Options

Horn Honking

Comments

• Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Persistent horn honkers are the motoring equivelant of internet trolls.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that capital punishment should be brought back for minicab drivers who sound their horn outside houses rather than ring the bell or knock at the door.
    A reasonably quick death if they do it during the day, but a slow death by fire, or gradual crushing in a machine if at night, or early a.m.

I take it you have been overcharged by a taxi driver at one point in your life?:D:D
  • Options
    suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Not as bad as foxes on the annoying scale.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suncity wrote: »
    Not as bad as foxes on the annoying scale.

Never knew they could drive
  • Options
    asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i was very annoyed when i discovered my new car which is a Peugot 207 has the wettest bip i've ever heard - it wouldnt scare a sparrow.

must remember next time car hunting that colour & leather interior are not the only must haves - the car must have a belter of a horn aswell:D
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    mackara wrote: »
    Never knew they could drive

Foxes are actually very sensible drivers.
  • Options
    wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got honked at today by some ****ing ****-faced **** because I had the temerity to still be crossing the road when he wanted to turn into it.

Drivers feel so immune from repercussions when inside their little boxes, but they are far more exposed than they think.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wantoosoon wrote: »
    I got honked at today by some ****ing ****-faced **** because I had the temerity to still be crossing the road when he wanted to turn into it.

Drivers feel so immune from repercussions when inside their little boxes, but they are far more exposed than they think.

OOOhhh, that sounds quite sinister. I like it.

Do you know the driver ? Are you going to put a runny dog turd through their front door ? :p
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this was going to be about people being sick, when they are horny. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only really do it when someone cuts me up or pulls out of a junction, causing me to brake hard. I don't use it properly though since it's not a warning, more like a way of saying "learn how to ****ing drive" since they can't hear me shouting it :D
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    I take it you have been overcharged by a taxi driver at one point in your life?:D:D

I can see that you'd think that, but I've never been guilty of using a minicab in my life.
    I use a taxi about twice a week, and I use 'black cabs" only.
    I prefer to use a professional, not a well meaning amateur.
    If I had a toothache I'd want the dentist to fix it, not the dental nurse.
    If a wall needed plastering I'd seek a plasterer, not a carpenter.
    "Black cab" drivers are not all angels, but they rarely, if ever, park outside and sound the horn.
    And no, I'm not a "black cab" driver.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a damn good job we don't use the horn like they do in Mumbai.

Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep

:D
  • Options
    Delta TangoDelta Tango Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Last time I sounded my horn I was traffic lights, lights changed but the driver in front was too busy chatting with his passenger to notice, a quick beep and he moved off raising his hand in apologies/thanks.

Last time I was beeped was when one of those paramedic cars expected me to jump a red light to let him through, needless to say I didn't.

Rapid response paramedic?

Personally, I'd have slowly gone past the red light to let it through... someone could have been dying.

I hate people who beep their horn. Most of the time it's unnecessary.

If someone beeps at me and it's uncalled for then I just beep back. Sometimes it ends up in a full blown beeping match until either me or the other driver has given up.

In the cars I drive for work the horn is really easy to hit when turning the wheel so I often hit it by accident.
  • Options
    Delta TangoDelta Tango Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never automatically use the horn.

I have to think before pressing it which often means by the time I do beep it's too late.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    My horn isn't a common honk type, it's a twin tone parp.
  • Options
    bhappyluvbhappyluv Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I stupidly decided to go into town during the half marathon on Sunday, and was parked at B&Q, which happened to be where most of the runners were parked. Needless to say getting out of the car park was hell, took about 20 mins. And for the whole time the woman in front of me was beeping her horn, over and over. It achieves nothing, and just winds everyone up, it's pointless.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    When was the last time someone pipped their horn at you in the car .... and when did you last use yours ?

I ask because, for the first time in my driving life someone pipped at me today. Not just once, but about 10 times. I got all red and panicky .... but i still don't think i was in the wrong.

I have only used my horn once. I was sat at the traffic lights and the car in front started rolling backwards towards me. I honked to let her know. She was most apologetic.

Somebody flashed me to change lanes on the M56 last sunday, I was staying in the 2nd lane because there was a slip road ahead loaded with cars flying off it and I didn't fancy it in the left hand lane, a female driver in a 4x4 flashed lights at me to get me out the way, but as a response to that I deliberately slowed down to 50mph to show that I wouldn't be bullied, held her there right down at that speed for what could have been 20-30 seconds and as she finally got past in the 3rd line she gave a 5 second long hoot accompanied by v signs, would have been good on camera.

If you flash your lights at me, you get slower and slower driving the more you do it.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    It was somewhat embarrassing a few years back when queuing at some traffic lights I was leaning forward relaxing, and all I could hear was someone honking for ages, I started looking round trying to see who it was - and then realised it was me :(

:D:D

Not quite the same, but one time I was the passenger when the OH was driving. As usual she overran the machine to get out of the car park, so she opened her door to lean out to put the ticket in the machine. All we could hear was someone revving the bollox off their car. It was continuous and very loud.

She was looking around to see what impatient 'idiot' it was. I had to inform her that she was the 'idiot' She had floored the accelerator when she leaned out of the car. :rolleyes: :eek:
  • Options
    Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Never, ever pull over for a bumper-hugger, especially an aggressive one. It achieves exactly what they want and thus encourages their bullying and dangerous behaviour.

The best way to deal with them is to ease off the gas so you slow down with no warning lights showing. Having nearly hit you up the chuff, they tend to keep their distance afterwards.

I was told this trick by a police driving instructor who also trains drivers for the IAM test, and it works a treat.

Remarkably that is in direct contradiction to the literature on the subject....
    It can be tempting to hold them up, wind them up, think up tricks that will make them mad. But it’s just not worth it. No-one benefits and there’s nothing to be gained by doing so.
    Peter Rodger, head of driving standards at the Institute of Advanced Motorists, says: “The thing is with these drivers, they’re already aggressive. So they’re not about to back off.
    “Anything you do to try and make them back off will just make them more unpredictable.”

So not only is there nothing to be gained by getting your own back on tailgaters, but you’re potentially creating an extra problem.

You could easily trigger road rage, which is only going to make the situation worse.
    If you’re just further enraging the driver behind, it’s difficult to see how anyone’s going to win. Don’t feed the trolls.

Read more: http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/articles/too-close-for-comfort-how-to-deal-with-tailgaters#ixzz2O4MDzInn

But well done anyway. It's always a sign of good driving, taking action which excaerbates the problem, rather than solves it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody flashed me to change lanes on the M56 last sunday, I was staying in the 2nd lane because there was a slip road ahead loaded with cars flying off it and I didn't fancy it in the left hand lane, a female driver in a 4x4 flashed lights at me to get me out the way, but as a response to that I deliberately slowed down to 50mph to show that I wouldn't be bullied, held her there right down at that speed for what could have been 20-30 seconds and as she finally got past in the 3rd line she gave a 5 second long hoot accompanied by v signs, would have been good on camera.

If you flash your lights at me, you get slower and slower driving the more you do it.

Well done, top notch driving. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remarkably that is in direct contradiction to the literature on the subject....

Peter Rodger, head of driving standards at the Institute of Advanced Motorists, says: “The thing is with these drivers, they’re already aggressive. So they’re not about to back off.
    “Anything you do to try and make them back off will just make them more unpredictable.”

OTOH. If they're going to rear-end me, I'd sooner they did it at 20mph, than at 70mph.
  • Options
    DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday, driving home from work.There are a lot of bad drivers in Birmingham!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    OTOH. If they're going to rear-end me, I'd sooner they did it at 20mph, than at 70mph.

I'd rather they not rear end me at all and affect the passengers in my vehicle and theirs, regardless of it being at 20 mph, 50 mph or 70 mph. I certainly would prefer not to raise my chances of being involved in a collision where other parties to the "dispute" are moving past at 60-70 mph.

But that's just me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where other parties to the "dispute" are moving past at 60-70 mph.

I thought we were talking about tailgaters?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always a sign of good driving, taking action which excaerbates the problem, rather than solves it.

How do you propose to solve the problem, of some tit sitting on your bumper?