Good luck.. exam results

124»

Comments

• Options
    WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Mr_X
    Let me guess - you had a crap teacher ?

When results plummet like this, it nearly always reflects on the learning environment you had (such as other pupils and teachers/lecturers)

Well, at a guess i would say that your someone whos actually pretty damn good at computers but not great at writing courseworks? Am i Right?

The Computing GCSE course was a total JOKE! I'm sorry but the bulls*it they spout about how the coursework shows your computing knowledge is total bollocks. It is perfectly simple to write a huge piece of coursework about computing and know sod all about it! The coursework tells nothing of your'e knowledge of how to correctly build a pc from scratch, or even to make an advanced piece of Basic/Access work. It simply shows that you can write a lot of drawn out crap, showing (in step by step patronising detail) how you 'did it'.

It is possible to write the coursework on how you built your database (for example) without even touching Access except during the write up. Print Screens serve no purpose, theres no proof they are even your works. I could quite easily have spoken to someone at another school, got him to send me his prt scrns and edited them slightly in paint.

What is really needed is a practical exam, rather like a driving test- 'Show me how to build a database, set up relationships, do compound diddly squat in VB'. That would show how much you know about computing - not an essay.

Rant over :mad:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by weeksy2001
    Well, at a guess i would say that your someone whos actually pretty damn good at computers but not great at writing courseworks? Am i Right?

The Computing GCSE course was a total JOKE! I'm sorry but the bulls*it they spout about how the coursework shows your computing knowledge is total bollocks. It is perfectly simple to write a huge piece of coursework about computing and know sod all about it! The coursework tells nothing of your'e knowledge of how to correctly build a pc from scratch, or even to make an advanced piece of Basic/Access work. It simply shows that you can write a lot of drawn out crap, showing (in step by step patronising detail) how you 'did it'.

It is possible to write the coursework on how you built your database (for example) without even touching Access except during the write up. Print Screens serve no purpose, theres no proof they are even your works. I could quite easily have spoken to someone at another school, got him to send me his prt scrns and edited them slightly in paint.

What is really needed is a practical exam, rather like a driving test- 'Show me how to build a database, set up relationships, do compound diddly squat in VB'. That would show how much you know about computing - not an essay.

Rant over :mad:

Nah, the teacher I was a little pissed off with was for accounting - not computing. :)

We didn't need to do essays, but we had a maths teacher taking us for two weeks. He seemed to think if he could add up and subtract then he could teach accounting.... aye right :rolleyes:

Although, we had a shitload of theory to do, and the whole qualifacation depended on a large two and a half hour exam at the end. This was one third financial accounting, another third management accounting, and a final third theory.

I definately hate essays - but sadly I think when it comes to uni, you have even more theory work to do.

I did an administration course (we had a great teacher for this course) and we did half theory, half practical.

Half the final exam mark was made up from a project - which was an assortment of general admin/ICT work. The other half was theory - but we did not write many essays. I would say though, that the theory work we did for Administration was relevant - such as the advantages of an openplan office, and knowledge of the health and safety regulations is required.

but I cannot figure out any reason for essays for computing :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got my welcome pack for uni today aswell but i still don't know if i have a place. i have'nt told them my results so would they know my results already or would ucas know them.

OK - UCAS should send you a confirmation letter with the code AS12, with your Uni's address on it etc. You send the slip off ticking 'yes I'd love to go to the Uni', or 'bog off bog-brush'. This slip will let your Uni know that you are OK to join. Your welcome pack will probably tell you something like you need to bring the main part of the letter and your exam results slip to the enrollment day with you, just so they can check.

Exactly! My coursework actually worked PERFECTLY so I'm not bad at doing that - all my other courseworks recieved an A grade execpt for computing - naturally I'm doubtful that we were told what we should be writing and instead were told what they thought we should be writing. That's probably where it all went wrong!
  • Options
    FOXPRESIDENTFOXPRESIDENT Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First thing, back in my day, 1998 (thats when i took my GCSE exams) the IT paper and overall subject was absolute shite, i got a grade D - well actually the highest grades i got was grade D in IT and English - But the IT paper was shite... it needs reform - as it sounds it's the same one (well similiar) to the one i had back in 1998.

Secondly, considering I got two D's as my highest scores, I'm now of to UNI - hehehe, yup, have two years education at one college, then left that as it was rubbish and did another course and done three years doing that, and now look, this september I'm of to study a degree in Journalism, I re-took my English, twice in during the past three years.

I got a D again for the first time, but on saying that I missed the second sitting of the paper, as i was not very well, i was drugged up in bed, and they had to go on a docs' note and my previous work. But later found out i was two marks of a C .

Anyway, I found out ages ago, as I did BTEC National Diploma course, got eight distinctions, (which is what i needed).

• Options
    anill2anill2 Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if i got 200 UCAS points (e.g. A'level grades of B,D and E)
    can i get into a course asking for points of 230+ points??? would i have to haggle with the uni??

also, did any of you extend the truth on your personal statements and put passion into it so the uni's would have a serious look at it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did any of you extend the truth on your personal statements and put passion into it so the uni's would have a serious look at it.

I didn't really - and I'm glad, because I feel that the personal statement has become somewhat Americanized over the past few years - IE people are doing extra subjects, out of college activities, etc just to 'jazz' their lives up and make them sound more interesting.

I find being straightforward and to the point is the best way to go. University applicants number in the thousands - no way do they have the time to go through and properly read all the marathon essays that some students write. :D It's also silly to lie / stretch the truth too much, because if you are asked to an interview you'll end up with nothing to say about your fictional hobbies and interests...
  • Options
    pkonlinepkonline Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by anill2
    if i got 200 UCAS points (e.g. A'level grades of B,D and E)
    can i get into a course asking for points of 230+ points??? would i have to haggle with the uni??

I think it would depend on what course and university you were applying for. For some where they give out many more offers than places they either hope some don't make the grades, or that some don't put that university down as their first choice. In such an instance where you miss the grades they may not accept you. I know that for my course, medicine, more people than expected got the required grades so thos that e.g. got ABB and just missed out, even though they are good grades, were not accepted.

When applying, you have 4-6 choices of uni to make so I'd make at least 1 of those a university which you 'aspire to' even if you think you won't get in - there's no harm in trying!

Haggling may not work as universities receive results before students do and have already made the bulk of their decisions. However if there are circumstances which you want to tell them, then it may help.
  • Options
    anill2anill2 Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    am i allowed to apply for more than 1 course at a uni??

or is it just one course per uni u r allowed 2 apply to??
  • Options
    pkonlinepkonline Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Yep, you're allowed to apply to more than one course at the same uni, however remember that if you really want to do something then applying to do another one looks a bit pointless, and if an admissions tutor sees that you're also applying for another subject, they may question you commitment.