why doesnt hollyoaks make the evil characters ever suffer.

gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
Forum Member
✭✭
this is the reason i no longer take hollyoaks seriously and understand why they will never have a chance of lasting long term i give it 3 years before its axed.

as a hollyoaks fan i can finally understand why people laugh at it as it is a joke with the storylines, i mean how many soaps have a bunch of murderers walking around getting away with it, and evil people never really getting punished, i think the only murderer who has been punished lately is warren fox, every other murderer has got away with it scott free and bad characters who arnt murderers never really get punished either.

ruby has been so horrible to esther for so long yet she is suddenly forgiven because she got hit by a car and esthers nan never evan spoke ill of her once.

ruby hasnt evan officially found out maddie tried it on with her man before she died, yes esther told her but i doubt shes evan convinced, maddie might have died but she didnt suffer tbh. at least sinead has been expelled i suppose but too many other characters keep getting away with murder, as a viewer i like the idea of bad charcaters of course we need them but i also like to see them suffer at the end of the day it sends out a bad message its not come to the point where i just dont care about the characters anymore, texas i would normally be sad about her dying but because its hollyoaks i just think to myself :yawn::yawn: same old nonsense:yawn:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    answer me honestly - who really takes their life lesson from a soap?

if you can answer that question, then i suggest you book that person a psych evaluation test at the nearest available institution asap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    And yet it is the only soap I watch.

I don't watch TV to take life lessons. I watch it for entertainment and drama. Personally, I don't get that from any of the other soaps, just like you seemingly don't get it from Hollyoaks.
  • gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scamrasc wrote: »

if you can answer that question, then i suggest you book that person a psych evaluation test at the nearest available institution asap.

tbh there obviously are since i keep hearing about people moaning about storylines. my point is alot of us like to see bad characters suffer and it doesnt happen in hollyoaks yes i know its just a soap blablabla but i like to see some form of realism to it and the amount of killers walking around the village scott free is just a joke. my cousin is a lawyer and no way would innocent people be convicted based on hear say hahaha hollyoaks is a joke soap never to be taken seriously its a comedy.
  • VIP101VIP101 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You say you are a fan but saying you also had enough of it, don't seem much of a fan to me. But that's just my opinion as I don't speak with many fans who slag of the soap they are a fan of.

Its a soap, and if you really don't like why don't you stop watching.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VIP101 wrote: »
    You say you are a fan but saying you also had enough of it, don't seem much of a fan to me. But that's just my opinion as I don't speak with many fans who slag of the soap they are a fan of.

Its a soap, and if you really don't like why don't you stop watching.

i guess its because im one of those people who doesnt worship soaps, just because i watch a soap it doesnt mean i cant tlk about what i dont like about it. like i said i see hollyoaks as a comedy the same way i saw sunset beach. i take deaths seriously in eastenders and feel for charcaters i just dont with holloaks cause he storylines are so unreal and laughable.
  • Cheesey PeppersCheesey Peppers Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    The code of soap has changed. The whole "Bad guys must have a comeuppance" is over. Especially for long term ones like Phil Mitchell and Cain Dingle.

The innocent get killed of left, right and center is the new law!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gentleguy wrote: »
    tbh there obviously are since i keep hearing about people moaning about storylines. my point is alot of us like to see bad characters suffer and it doesnt happen in hollyoaks yes i know its just a soap blablabla but i like to see some form of realism to it and the amount of killers walking around the village scott free is just a joke. my cousin is a lawyer and no way would innocent people be convicted based on hear say hahaha hollyoaks is a joke soap never to be taken seriously its a comedy.

people moaning about storylines doesn't mean that they base their lives on what happens in them! as khughs said - it's a tv show that people watch for drama and entertainment. it's annoying when there are plot holes or things aren't realistic, but the reason why we watch is because it's just a tv show! plus - this is the DS. more than that, this is the internet! i dare say you'll find people moaning about how much milk they poured in thier cereal this morning. for some, coming on here to moan is part of the enjoyment.

i noticed you've now changed this thread's title btw. before it was something like "is HO trying to show that it's ok for bad people to get away with doing bad things" or something like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The code of soap has changed. The whole "Bad guys must have a comeuppance" is over. Especially for long term ones like Phil Mitchell and Cain Dingle.

The innocent get killed of left, right and center is the new law!

i dont know who cain dingle is must be from the soaps i dont watch but phil mitchil is just a hard man who has made mistakes he isnt a murderer and he has had lots of bad things happen to him anyway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes it's more interesting when the bad guys get away with their crimes. Not everything has to be tied up neatly in a nice little bow with a cherry on top. Hollyoaks is the only soap taking risks with its characters. Good on them.
  • RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    Certainly no fan of the show then. There is a big buzz around the show atm luckily - so they must be doing something right.

The villain must always get their comeuppance in the end, as has been mentioned above, a tired comment from many producers gone by. Why should they always? That is no fun, this is fiction based on real life - but not everything has to follow the rules of life. Besides there are lots of people getting away with crimes, we just do not know about them, hense why they are getting away with it. So technically this is reflecting real life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mercedes always gets away with it.
    The writers really ruined the Mercedes/Mitzeee storyline when Mercedes got away scot-free.
    It's become ridiculous.
    This is definitely something that I really dislike about the show. Their aftermaths are poor.
  • Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mercedes always gets away with it.
    The writers really ruined the Mercedes/Mitzeee storyline when Mercedes got away scot-free.
    It's become ridiculous.
    This is definitely something that I really dislike about the show. Their aftermaths are poor.

Yeah i thought once she was in prison she'd be there for at least 6 months before they even considered letting her go free. It completely defeated the point of the whole thing. That and the incest relationship which was ridiculous and unbelievable with a predictable leaving scenario for Mitzeee which was equally ridiculous. 5 months pregnant without noticing..... what a joke.
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK soaps have always had a very moral basis and the golden rule has always been that bad things happen to the bad people. Bad things also happen to the good people...but not for long. However Hollyoaks does seem to have thrown that rule out the window in recent years and allowed characters like Brendan, Warren and Mercedes to go for years and not be punished after committing the most despicable crimes.
  • Jingle JangleJingle Jangle Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares if the bad guy gets away with it? Soaps are there to entertain us, not to morally guide us. This obsession with comeuppance in soap baffles me. IT'S NOT REAL and it's fun seeing your favourite FICTIONAL characters get away with doing bad things. I get enough reality in day to day life, thank you very much. I watch HOs for a bit of escapism, and if that means I root for the baddie cos I like him/her, I can't see the harm in that. It doesn't mean I feel the same in real life.
  • devon-maiddevon-maid Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as at least 99.99% of the characters in HO have committed crimes if they were all punished it might as well be called HMP Hollyoaks
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that the show isn't real and it's not meant for people to use as moral compass, but to take on Bullying in such a central storyline and then have the victim almost instantly forgive and forget and the bully not really be punished does send a bad message.

The murderers etc roaming the village is sort of within the suspension of belief, but when a serious issue is taken on, I do think a semi-realistic form of comeuppance should be seen to see the storyline through. Look at past "issue" storylines, like Hannah's eating disorder, it may not have had the same impact had Melissa not died, nor if Hannah had suddenly one day decided "I've not got an eating disorder anymore" and from then on it was forgotten about.

At least a few weeks of the Bully being made to feel bad/ostracized etc should have been used.
  • Jingle JangleJingle Jangle Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that the show isn't real and it's not meant for people to use as moral compass, but to take on Bullying in such a central storyline and then have the victim almost instantly forgive and forget and the bully not really be punished does send a bad message.

The murderers etc roaming the village is sort of within the suspension of belief, but when a serious issue is taken on, I do think a semi-realistic form of comeuppance should be seen to see the storyline through. Look at past "issue" storylines, like Hannah's eating disorder, it may not have had the same impact had Melissa not died, nor if Hannah had suddenly one day decided "I've not got an eating disorder anymore" and from then on it was forgotten about.

At least a few weeks of the Bully being made to feel bad/ostracized etc should have been used.

You make a good point, but to be fair to the Esther storyline, it hasn't fully played out yet so we don't know what's going to happen in the long term to Sinead and Ruby. And the reason people want Sinead and Ruby to get comeuppance is because they like Esther and they dislike Sinead and Ruby.

Turn it around and the baddie is the person the viewers like, then it's a different story. Most people like Brendan so they want him to get away with the bad things he's done. On the flip side, most people dislike Theresa so want her to get done for offing Calvin.

If, let's say, a popular character like Phoebe did something terrible to, say, Will, I doubt people would be baying for her to get her comeuppance. Most of us would be cheering her on. It's just the way it goes.
  • EastenderstreetEastenderstreet Posts: 3,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scamrasc wrote: »

I suppose Maddie Morrison would be the one exception:D

the only problem with that it is that it happen too quickly and she didn't suffer enough:D
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose Maddie Morrison would be the one exception:D

the only problem with that it is that it happen too quickly and she didn't suffer enough:D

Agreed:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrufox86 wrote: »
    Yeah i thought once she was in prison she'd be there for at least 6 months before they even considered letting her go free. It completely defeated the point of the whole thing. That and the incest relationship which was ridiculous and unbelievable with a predictable leaving scenario for Mitzeee which was equally ridiculous. 5 months pregnant without noticing..... what a joke.

I have to disagree with the last bit!
    I loved the Riley and Mitzeee storyline and it is possible to be 5 months pregnant and not know it. Some people go longer without realising, every pregnancy is different.
    That was the only part I liked about her exit storyline! The rest was very poor and the character deserved a hell of a lot better.

(sorry, slightly off topic).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JarkdeLuxe wrote: »
    Sometimes it's more interesting when the bad guys get away with their crimes. Not everything has to be tied up neatly in a nice little bow with a cherry on top. Hollyoaks is the only soap taking risks with its characters. Good on them.

its asso the soap with the fewest viewers and has no chance of ever winning the soap awards
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who cares if the bad guy gets away with it? Soaps are there to entertain us, not to morally guide us. This obsession with comeuppance in soap baffles me. IT'S NOT REAL and it's fun seeing your favourite FICTIONAL characters get away with doing bad things. I get enough reality in day to day life, thank you very much. I watch HOs for a bit of escapism, and if that means I root for the baddie cos I like him/her, I can't see the harm in that. It doesn't mean I feel the same in real life.

oh so tired of hearing this all the time:yawn::yawn: yes they are nentertaining but i also find it entertaining watching them suffer too, its funny how you guys keep saying its boring when they get caught and punished but thats all part of thye entetainment, i dont mind if some get away with it but every single person??? yes that is tiring because it becomes so predictable and whoever kills texas will also get away with it already predictable and i bet it would be theresa mqueen, oh yea shes already got away with murder:rolleyes::yawn:
  • sugarandspicesugarandspice Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree Mercedes always gets off with everything and has been in so many situations where it has gone right for her it is ludicrus i mean lying that she had a baby and then shock again she decided to pretend to misscarriage and look she's pregnant, she got away with kidnapping the baby and stabbing herself

Also nonody seems to mind that Theresa McQueen is a cold blooded murderer and killed her baby's father no infact i think they even forgot it happened

Silas Blisset guilty of killing 4 women and attempting to kill Lynsey about i dont know 10 times oh he just escaped and got on a bus witha bunch of hen girls while are hero Lynsey is pushing up daises

Claire Devine she must have escaped about 3 or 4 life/death situations i dont even know why they include her in it they might aswell say Claire wont die dont worry she will just escape from prison 3 years later after setting the loft on fire trying to kill Warren Fox and his sister and conning people out there money

Maddie Morrison bullied Esther and got all her friends dragged into it and then crashed the van through the wedding reception and left her supposedly best friend Niel Cooper to die in the van but nobody found out and she looked like a hero for dragging George out the crash but for Maddie karma was a bitch and killed her within a matter of minutes from getting out

Ruby Button got off scot free with bullying her supposdley best friend Esther Bloom and then admitted to it but no one reacted really execpt Jack and Darren but then she gets ran over and everything is ok she moves back in with the osbournes everyone forgives her and lets her live her life happily in college while Esther is on a life machine

Gilly Roach rapist raped Jacqui and made out it was a lie testified against her in court and poor Jacqui unfortunatley lost he returns to the village months later and decides he must leave again tells Rhys and Jacqui the truth and then just leaves hollyoaks happily ever after

This needs to stop please dont let creepy Will Savage, Walker and Semaus get off scott free
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Texas is gonna die. woohoo. can't stand her, if only Will would join her.
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gentleguy wrote: »
    oh so tired of hearing this all the time:yawn::yawn: yes they are nentertaining but i also find it entertaining watching them suffer too, its funny how you guys keep saying its boring when they get caught and punished but thats all part of thye entetainment, i dont mind if some get away with it but every single person??? yes that is tiring because it becomes so predictable and whoever kills texas will also get away with it already predictable and i bet it would be theresa mqueen, oh yea shes already got away with murder:rolleyes::yawn:

but it would boring if everyone got punished for doing bad things. it is realistic, sort of, loads of people get away with murder. maybe not all in the same village mind you.