Paul Gambaccini Appreciation - 40 Years On BBC Radio

Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Paul Gambaccini is tonight on air on Radio 2, celebrating the 40th anniversary of his first BBC radio broadcast on Radio 1 on 5th October 1973.

His excellence and impeccable attention to detail with his music and facts is without compare.

Definitely seems like one of the under appreciated people on national radio. Time to rectify that. Comments invited.

Congratulations! :)

Comments

• TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Last Friday night's tribute show from 1900-2000 is particularly worth a listen, even for people who don't like Paul Gambaccini as it has some arcieve clips rarely heard such as 'Rockspeak' on Radio One in 1973 and 1960s US college radio.
  • the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    Last Friday night's tribute show from 1900-2000 is particularly worth a listen, even for people who don't like Paul Gambaccini as it has some arcieve clips rarely heard such as 'Rockspeak' on Radio One in 1973 and 1960s US college radio.

I didn't know Gambo was a centenarian! :D
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »

Nice to get some follow up comments. It took time. ;)

I missed the early show between 7pm & 8pm but the live 2 hour music of Bacharach & David compered by Paul, followed by the 2 hour chat with Smokey Robinson were an absolutely top class 4 hours of radio listening straight out of the top draw. :cool:
  • Fatima502Fatima502 Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Thank you for starting this, Rich Tea. I have been listening to Paul since 1975 and I won't have a thing said against him. In my judgement, no other DJ comes near to his level of expertise. I worry that such a big deal was made of his 40th anniversary, as if there won't be a 50th.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fatima502 wrote: »
    Thank you for starting this, Rich Tea. I have been listening to Paul since 1975 and I won't have a thing said against him. In my judgement, no other DJ comes near to his level of expertise. I worry that such a big deal was made of his 40th anniversary, as if there won't be a 50th.

Couldn't agree more.

Rather nice to celebrate such achievements. Not sure it meant anything wider, and as for another 10 years, well some broadcasters come and go in a lot less time than that! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Fatima502 wrote: »
    I worry that such a big deal was made of his 40th anniversary, as if there won't be a 50th.

OMG ... whats wrong with celebrating ... did you think that when you have had a big birthday celebration ... 18th / 21st??

I really dont think they are celebrating it because they are going to get rid of him.

But thanks for making me laugh with your positive attitude!!!!
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    He is an absolute radio legend, with a terrific voice and style. His 40th anniversary show was a work of art, with every link absolutely flawless. He's an asset to Radio Two. I wish he could do a retro US chart show, that'd be amazing! (or repeats of old shows).
This discussion has been closed.