Cover versions that are better than the originals

15678911»

Comments

• bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb

NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot even bring myself to listen to that version I pretend it does not even exist.

The song which has the single greatest guitar solo of all time reduced to a awful poppy dance number no!

(it made quite angey at the time maybe you can tell :D )
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lego Pig wrote: »
    Whiskey in the Jar - Metallica
    99 Red Ballons - Goldfinger
    Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm
    Comfortably Numb - Scissor Sisters
    Only You - Flying Pickets
    California Girls - David Lee Roth
    Always on my mind- Pet Shop boys
    Valerie - Mark Ronson feat. some junkie
    Adagio for Strings - DJ Tiesto
    Hurt - Johnny Cash
    Take on Me - Reel Big Fish
    Anything by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes

You have to be kidding... Pink Floyd's is the best cannot stand Scissor Sisters version.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeannieMac wrote: »
    Susanna & The Magical Orchestra - Love Will Tear Us Apart; though I'm a fan of the original too.

It's not a bad cover, but never better IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me Susanna's version brings out the song's beauty more so just has the edge! :-)
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only think of Primal Scream's version of Know Your Rights by The Clash. It's tucked away as a B-side on a single somewhere and contains a thumping beat and an astonishing vocal performance from Bobby Gillespie.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeannieMac wrote: »
    For me Susanna's version brings out the song's beauty more so just has the edge! :-)

Fair deuce :)
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Lana Del Rey - Goodbye Kiss
    Lana Del Rey - Blue Velvet
    Lana Del Rey/Barrie James O'Neill - Summer Wine
    Lana Del Rey - Once Upon A Dream
    Lana Del Rey - Chelsea Hotel No. 2

(She's the new queen of covers as well as soundtracks, basically).

Joe Cocker - Little Help From My Friends

It's like a whole new song (I suppose the fact Ringo sang the original doesn't hinder any cover versions here lol!)

Birdy - Skinny Love
    Birdy - Shelter
    Birdy - Help The People
    Birdy - A Team

In fact, just about ANY Birdy cover qualifies here (sadly not as keen on the new album though).

K D Lang - Helpless
    K D Lang - Hallelujah
    K D Lang - Crying

With a voice like K D's it would be hard to NOT better the original.

Neil Diamond - Midnight Train To Georgia

His voice isn't what it once was but this is an AMAZINGLY emotional cover of a classic song.
  • nightwish1990nightwish1990 Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Within Temptation do an album of metal covers. Summertime Sadness is amazing
  • Val_BeamVal_Beam Posts: 3,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like this one better than the original http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEt9uNfGR3o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Noah's cover of Sexy And I Know It is far superior to LMFAO's original.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Prince's version of 'Betcha By Golly Wow' is on Emancipation, which also features astounding covers of 'I Can't Make You Love Me' and 'One of Us'.

I don't think Scissor Sisters version of 'Comfortably Numb' is that bad, although Pink Floyd's is better.
  • coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you raise me up :)
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stube wrote: »
    Oh, thank God :D

I thought i'd be mobbed of this forum for saying that. It takes an open-mind to say that her version is superior since many people say SP is better only because LL was from XF. :(

Another song many may disagree with is Knockin' On Heaven's Door. I connected with Avril Lavigne's version more than Bob Dylan's. She sounds very emotional on the track which tears me up :cry:

You can all tell i judge songs more by the voice rather than the music.

And I personally like Guns n Roses version of Knockin' on Heavens Door best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the worst cover ever is Ronan Keating doing Fairytale of New York :cry:

Or Mike Flowers doing Wonderwall
  • Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lexii-Mae wrote: »
    I'm sick of hearing all these Fleetwood Mac covers around, Fleetwood Mac don't need covering and I hate that some younger people are listening to these crappy poppier versions of don't stop/Go your own way, instead of the original brilliance of FM.

Just to say I agree with that. The covers seem to take away every ounce of feeling and emotion that was in the original songs.

Stevie Nicks - Crash in to me

Is a favourite cover of mine, not to keen on the original. But I could be biased as I adore Stevie Nicks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louise-ann wrote: »
    Just to say I agree with that. The covers seem to take away every ounce of feeling and emotion that was in the original songs.

Stevie Nicks - Crash in to me

Is a favourite cover of mine, not to keen on the original. But I could be biased as I adore Stevie Nicks.

Yeah, I agree with this as well.
    Fleetwood Mac were a great band.
    Not sure about who did it, but I'm sure I've heard a really dull emotionless version of Go Your Own Way fairly recently.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Within Temptation do an album of metal covers. Summertime Sadness is amazing

Anything WT do is better than the original!