Women - Are you good at playing pool?

Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm just interested as a lot of a time there will be questions like "Which one do I hit first?" "Why can't I just pot and win?" "I'm really terrible but I'll give it a go anyway" (my experiences only). But I've played a few who are just as good as men and just as competitive. This was when I was out and about in pubs and stuff. But is it just something that doesn't interest women? I think women's pool has gotten quite big globally but in England doesn't seem as much. I suppose though it could also stem from the pub and WMC culture that was mainly male orientated with darts, cards, pool etc.

Well?

Comments

• Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can play, I'm competitive and have a pool table.

I challenge you to a game, Sifter :D
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    In my younger days I played at a county level, I have a box full of trophies in the attic, I was even playing while 9 months preggo ;) I miss it, havent picked up a cue in years, but I am sure I would be able to give you a run for your money still :D
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i love pool but i havn`t played for ages. i get my eye in at around four pints and i either play really well or like a bag of shit, never in between.

i love snooker too but rarely play that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Whenever I am in a bar and see a hottie in Daisy Duke's bending over a pool table, I like to have a game of pocket billiards.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    I suppose though it could also stem from the pub and WMC culture that was mainly male orientated with darts, cards, pool etc.

Perhaps so, but there's always been a solid core of female pool players - only small numbers compared with male players though.

As someone who has played in various pool leagues over the years we used to hate playing a female player - it's a 'lose/lose' situation - if you win it's 'because it's only a woman', and if you lose it's 'beaten by a woman' :D There were (and presumably still are) some very good female players out there though. Despite the abuse you get from friends, I've played against female players I'd be very proud to beat.
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    My son has a pool table, son and hubby are very good daughter in law not bad me useless, grandchildren say let play nanny yes I know why I'm the only one they can thrash the pants off :cry:
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love pool but i havn`t played for ages. i get my eye in at around four pints and i either play really well or like a bag of shit, never in between.

i love snooker too but rarely play that.

I'm exactly the same. After about 2 pints there is about 30 minutes where I become shit hot at pool, outside that I couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I've never played it but I probably could easily learn how to play it.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    No woman man child or chimp could be worse than me.
  • lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure a humongous pair of tits can make certain shots impossible
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I'm exactly the same. After
    about 2 pints there is about 30 minutes where I become shit hot at pool,
    outside that I couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

3 pints in I'm like a potting machine, it does fall apart around the 5th pint or so, sadly. Best player I know is female. *shrug*
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    lee_sharp wrote: »

Or can provide a great distraction. As can being short so having to practically climb the table to take a shot.

I'm a good player, my dad and brother were both pool champions and I've beaten them.

I also used to hustle a lot and did it in Jamaica where I made a pretty decent amount of money from this guy who was incensed that this girl from England was kicking his arse. Good times :D
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,506
    Forum Member
    lee_sharp wrote: »

Yes, I refereed a game between two friends (as part of a competition we held), Ian and the aptly named 'big Jackie' - about every second shot I called a foul, as every time Jackie leaned over the table her boobs stirred the balls :D

She was 48DD if anyone is interested - and not a bad pool player apart from her physical limitations :D
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty good at fluke shots. But when I'm not fluking my way through a game I'm probably quite average. Not awful, not amazing... just y'know - average.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare Devil wrote: »
    I can play, I'm competitive and have a pool table.

I challenge you to a game, Sifter :D

It's on :cool:
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not bad. My potting can be a bit hit or miss (excuse the pun) but I'm very good at snookering people if I can't see anything on...or being an effing arsehole as my husband prefers to call it.

I can't play a shot along the cushion to save my life.
  • CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Women can't bridge properly. FACT!
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually pretty good, yeah. Comes from all those summers stuck out in the country in the middle of nowhere doing nothing but playing pool in my dad's shed.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I haven't played for a long time now, but yes, I used to be pretty good. I was taught to play when I was about 8 years old at an American Detachment, Ping Pong too.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    I'm just interested as a lot of a time there will be questions like "Which one do I hit first?" "Why can't I just pot and win?" "I'm really terrible but I'll give it a go anyway" (my experiences only). But I've played a few who are just as good as men and just as competitive. This was when I was out and about in pubs and stuff. But is it just something that doesn't interest women? I think women's pool has gotten quite big globally but in England doesn't seem as much. I suppose though it could also stem from the pub and WMC culture that was mainly male orientated with darts, cards, pool etc.

Well?

Yes, I love it! I play once a week at the pub but have been thinking lately I'd love to practice more.
  • AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    I can hold my own, so to speak. But I would avoid playing it in a pub because bending over a pool table isn't a flattering look to a chunky bum.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I like pool, I'm not great but i'm not too bad, and I know the rules etc :)
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    My parents were in the pub trade when I was young, so I always had access to the keys when we were shut. Used to join in with the pub team after their league matches had finished.
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was taught by a man who said that women don't bend their knees. And he was right. It's all about the knees. Haven't played I years though.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not very good at pool but I do enjoy trying to play!